Dear forum users! In compliance with the new European GDPR regulations, we'd just like to inform you that if you have an account, your email address is stored in our database. We do not share your information with third parties, and your email address and password are encrypted for security reasons.

New to the forum? Say hello in this topic! Also make sure to read the rules.

Mini chat cycle upto 8 words

Give us your input on how we may improve the game in future versions.
Forum rules
By using the forum you agree to the following rules. For this forum you also need to follow these additional rules.
Tom Th3 Assasin
Superfighter
Superfighter
SFD Account: JakMike
Started SFD: 2017

Mini chat cycle upto 8 words

Post by Tom Th3 Assasin » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:37 pm

Getting killed,punched while typing and so on.There's no room to type during a match,even you can't type a two alphabetic''xd'' without being shot.Worse than all you sometimes get chat locked in a hurry to resume.These xd's gg' noob's and lol's are what keeps us going....not to forget ''lmao''(which might be the toughest to type)

I have a suggestion for an alternative way of typing,it will be an 8 different words or short phrases popping above and beside you,ease while selecting and highlighting your choice by holding your directional keys (even diagonally)with a new minichat key simultaneously you will be able to highlight and select your pre-edited words or phrases from the minichat cycle in a blink of an eye,You can also edit all 8 of them via options.Make your own emoji's,dialogues's,acronyms,reactions or anything(in words)you would like to express them while playing.this new chat system would change the whole atmosphere,everyone moving along with a bubble over the head cursing,chilling,yelling as much as you like so nobody would miss it

By looking at the video you would notice Tommy froze while opening the minichat cycle,No then whats the difference it brings? I would like this have the ability to open or close upon holding and releasing the minichat key. you can also open the minichat cycle while sprinting rolling diving and such certain mobile action's which makes it far versatile and handy.No stop motion's would cost you a lose.Cast your ideas below if you think this needs any changes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1bVWTLzLv8&feature=youtu.be
The bubble will last accordingly to its length of the words or phrases of how it works in ms as of now.It wouldn't stretch more than 18 alphabets or so.
5 x
There is not a single thing that I can't do

https://imgur.com/a/Ybqji

Shock
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Content-maker
SFD Account: Shock
Started SFD: Pre-Alpha 1.2.0.

Post by Shock » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:41 pm

You probably double posted , delete one excess post. I really like this suggestion , especially if you would add idea about adding your custom texts for fast typing. In the settings.
1 x
-Content-maker.

Sree
Superfighter
Superfighter
SFD Account: phasmic
SFD Alias: sree

Post by Sree » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:55 am

Sounds like a bad addition to me, Your suggestion already seems to fail in it's purpose. Firstly, using the directional keys means that the player has to be static in the background when he is using the mini chat, even if the player reconfigure his keys, he is going to have to get used to a combination of new keys which is gonna add up more delay and the player might not even want to get used to it.

pressing the enter key once and typing in "xd" which requires 2 more keys to be pressed seems more accessible than having to go through a minichat and navigate through the phrases, sure the player has to be a quick typer to do the former but the same goes to your suggestion, a player has to navigate through the phrases after pressing the key to pop up the mini chat and quickly choose the right phrase by pressing/holding the right combination of directional keys.

moreover I don't think the devs have to implement an entirely new mechanic just so players can say xd or lmao without any repercussions for using the chat in the midst of combat. If you are a pretty fast typer, you can type these words or even longer phrases within the time you roll or dive.
0 x

Morpheus
Fighter
Fighter
Title: No Spoon?
SFD Account: Morpheus
SFD Alias: Morpheus
Started SFD: Web Version

Post by Morpheus » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:31 pm

Tommy,
I was actually thinking along the lines of your topic a few weeks ago, funny.
Although I don't quite agree with the purpose of the concept, however I don't whole-heartedly agree with the
criticism above that plunders the idea of having the mini-chat . :roll:

Here's where I agree that the mini-chat would be a great idea:
The mini-chat would be a great system for gamepads, as not all gamepads can
integrate an external keyboard like the Xbox 360 controller. Just a simple
communication system between gamepad players.

Where I don't agree:
The use of these short witty internet slang acronyms such as "lol", "xd", "ez" wouldn't what I'd like the mini-chat to be used for( with the exception of gg ).

We already know what these phrases can do to easily angered players when typed in the chat bar.
Now, imagine the anger and frustration between players caused by a push of a few buttons.

It would be spammed thoroughly too much by users in the server, thereby an increase in demand for the users download speed,
not to mention what the result would be if lag happens to be a factor.

However, if were a feature, I'd propose an Alternative:

The mini-chat could consist of a small array of alerts of the devs choosing as shown above.
The mini-chat sole purpose is communication between teams in a team versus gamemode. Although it doesn't have to be, it would be the primary need. The mini chat could be activated with an external key on the keyboard and from there the player chooses as desired using a numpad key, the alert he wants to display.

The text alerts would be translated in to small icons that would communicate with his/her team members

For example, if the player is low on health, he clicks on the external key,
and then clicks number 1 on the numpad to let his fellow teammates know he is in need of health or he is low.
The display is as follows.

8 x
Physics, is the real red pill.

Shark
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: The Predator
SFD Alias: http://i.imgur.com/sQSmWvB.png
Started SFD: 1.6.4

Post by Shark » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:22 pm

xD omg this idea is so good, what command to make this? Ctrl + 1 - 8, There has to be a limit, because here in Brazil the guys can make the big text, example: I'm pro and you is a big trash suck my ****, and this can disturb in melee, if you is in melee combat and use this Life Emoction that the @Morpheus created.
0 x
Just me The Predator!

Noble
Title: Modest guy
SFD Alias: Best player
Post by Noble » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:15 pm

I liked this post as a script, from far not as game's suggestion/idea, for some of the same reasons as Sree said above.
I also disliked how much space it occupies in any case, but sounds just valid to play if that's implemented as a script or map, like, it's fun and you guys thought some nice uses for it.
3 x
When I was 22 I read this book
And I swore
"I'll stay my way, I'll stay my way"

Shark
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: The Predator
SFD Alias: http://i.imgur.com/sQSmWvB.png
Started SFD: 1.6.4

Post by Shark » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:04 am

Noble wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:15 pm
I liked this post as a script, from far not as game's suggestion/idea, for some of the same reasons as Sree said above.
I also disliked how much space it occupies in any case, but sounds just valid to play if that's implemented as a script or map, like, it's fun and you guys thought some nice uses for it.
Like this? http://sfdmaps.at.ua/load/scripts/small ... /9-1-0-928
0 x
Just me The Predator!

[Failman]
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Failure of memes
SFD Alias: Chuckmagaden, Chuck, or random
Started SFD: Before pants

Post by [Failman] » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:13 am

This sounds like something from Vagante, it’s a farly loved feature though It consists of emojis instead of write it in text box. Pretty sure it would be extremely popular though especially since I’ll be able to spam XD with one button and not clutter the chat.
1 x
Sorry for any errors(so much FAIL)

KliPeH
Title: [happy moth noises]
SFD Account: KliPeH
Started SFD: Pre-Alpha 1.4.2

Post by KliPeH » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:06 am

Tom Th3 Assasin wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:37 pm
Getting killed,punched while typing and so on.There's no room to type during a match,even you can't type a two alphabetic''xd'' without being shot. [...]
One solution to this problem is not to write in chat after the round's started. It's pretty simple, really. I don't agree with your suggested method of using the feature (what with the modifiable phrasing) and think that if this is implemented as a quick emoji/taunt thing it would get unbearably annoying very quickly. KAG has a weapon-wheel sort of system except with emoticons and players use macros to spam multiple emoticons in quick succession while also in-combat to taunt attacking players or players they have defeated. It's a feature I wasn't very fond of and thought the way people used it was toxic.

With that said, while I will support any setup that punishes players who use "xd", I do think implementing the system could mean taking another step towards establishing a friendly environment to team-centric gamemodes, and I will agree with it if it is implemented as a combination of strings that aim to help the players communicate with their fellow teammates. As an example, the game Soldat is somewhat similar to SFD in terms of art-style and gameplay and it does also feature such a system; although Soldat overcomplicates things by giving you a hotkey to first open a list of phrase categories (e.g Support) and after you've selected one you proceed to select your desired phrase to be shown in chat. It's a little convoluted so nobody's using it, but it does exist and you could check it out for yourself if you need inspiration (it's free).

Another game that I recently played and that I can remember making good use of the system is PUBG Mobile. In that game, not only is the phrase you select written in chat, but also spoken out loud by your character; maybe if the SFD characters get some speech SFX post-release they could be used in combination with these phrases so other players notice them in intense firefights or whenever their attention is directed at something that isn't their team.

There's one other feature I like in that system and that is the "I found supplies!" phrase. If you point your crosshairs at an item and use the phrase your character will say "I have X" where X is the item you were looking at. Extremely useful for when your teammates aren't around, and the place is also marked on the minimap for about a minute (irrelevant to SFD). Still, the point is that if you were to use a form of raycasting you could use the speech bubbles to highlight and tell your teammates the items laying on the ground are for them.

I like the design @Morpheus suggested and also the phrases he used (although those seem to fit an FFA mode better). I also agree that if the system happens to be used as an emoji-spammer like initially suggested the phrases shouldn't show up in chat and clutter it, just like @[Failman] said.
2 x

Del Poncho
Superfighter
Superfighter
Started SFD: July 2012 (1.0.5)

Post by Del Poncho » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:44 pm

Having speech bubbles pop out mid-game is not the best idea, wether or not they're from a premade list.

They'd just be all over the place, covering important info that you should instead be able to see, such as enemies, objects, flames, explosives and such.
I mean, what if there's an enemy above you and you write something? Even small images, such as the "pills" speech bubble in the first post, that small thing could cover an enemy, or a grenade coming at you.

Plus, the game is already "hard" on the eyes, you've got dozens of stuff to notice in the blink of an eye, having stuff pop around - wether it's text or images - would go on the no-no list for me.

And even if these messages were displayed only in the chat... having the option to spam messages freely has never been a good idea. Usually ends up in a toxic way.
2 x
The risk I took was caluclated, but man.....am I bad at math.

MOOADAM
Superfighter
Superfighter
SFD Account: MOOADAM
SFD Alias: General Bird or MOOADAM
Post by MOOADAM » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:58 pm

one should not be talking while they should be fighting- old Superfighters quote
0 x