Dear forum users! In compliance with the new European GDPR regulations, we'd just like to inform you that if you have an account, your email address is stored in our database. We do not share your information with third parties, and your email address and password are encrypted for security reasons.

New to the forum? Say hello in this topic! Also make sure to read the rules.

Put New Trailer on your steam page!

Give us your input on how we may improve the game in future versions.
Forum rules
By using the forum you agree to the following rules. For this forum you also need to follow these additional rules.
RickAvory
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Sunny City Nationalist
SFD Account: Rick Avory
SFD Alias: (EA) Rick Avory
Started SFD: Sep 2016

Put New Trailer on your steam page!

Post by RickAvory » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:00 am

I recommend you put this beautifully made trailer on your steam page for everyone to see!
► Show Spoiler
Also, what does Q4 mean?
0 x
We must root out the impurities in our midst

Motto73
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Lazy ass
SFD Account: Motto73
Started SFD: Multiplayer Test Demo

Post by Motto73 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:29 am

RickAvory wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:00 am
--
Also, what does Q4 mean?
4th quarter. October, November or December.
2 x

RickAvory
Superfighter
Superfighter

Post by RickAvory » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:56 pm

Motto73 wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:29 am
RickAvory wrote:
--
Also, what does Q4 mean?
4th quarter. October, November or December.
I sometimes amaze myself with my own stupidity. I swear I’m not that stupid lol
1 x

Hjarpe
Lead Designer
Lead Designer
Started SFD: The grey dawn of time

Post by Hjarpe » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:11 pm

I did shortly after the upload, but Valve/Steam is taking a good while to approve it :/
4 x
Quinterball: Vigorously shaking a tile while rapidly tapping CTRL causes the selected tile to randomly flash red.
MythoLogic Interactive: By design.

Shock
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Content-maker
SFD Account: Shock
Started SFD: Pre-Alpha 1.2.0.

Post by Shock » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:51 pm

Hjarpe wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:11 pm
I did shortly after the upload, but Valve/Steam is taking a good while to approve it :/
6 x
-Content-maker.

Del Poncho
Superfighter
Superfighter
Started SFD: July 2012 (1.0.5)

Post by Del Poncho » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:19 pm

1 x
The risk I took was caluclated, but man.....am I bad at math.

KliPeH
Title: [happy moth noises]
SFD Account: KliPeH
Started SFD: Pre-Alpha 1.4.2

Post by KliPeH » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:06 pm

RickAvory wrote:
https://youtu.be/9YtiRsJWx6w
This is going to sound weird, but I'm having an issue with the first three clips (0:12-0:20) being showcased before the next three (0:20-0:28) where all the chaotic firefighting is shown in its full glory. The trailer should first and foremost focus on the 8-player combat (or however many players were there), before showing the unique mechanics the game features 1 on 1. The trailer would have represented the game better had it shown highlights from a fully populated lobby (from one of Gurt's random gameplay footage videos, for example) instead of introducing the game through a bunch of 1v1's. The game's focus isn't on one-on-one combat, its strengths lie in the larger match-ups. If you think about it, it would also fit the "A good fight is its own reward" intro better, as a full blown battle between multiple players does look like a good fight in this mainly-Multiplayer-gaming era, especially for an Indie game of this size.

The intro (0:00-0:11) was about to be really cool but then you put a 1v1 there and it felt underwhelming. Had I known nothing about the game and would have seen the trailer for the first time I'd think to myself "oh okay, so in this game I play against my friend like in the other low budget Indie games"; then I would have seen the next 3 clips and would think to myself "cool, I can also play against more people" - and that's not the impression a new player should be getting. You first and foremost play against more players, and if you have no choice you play against fewer opponents or maybe even just one.

You don't want to give players the impression that this is a game you play with few players like Duck Game or Invisigun Heroes. SFD is more flexible than that, which is also what's going to make it more successful. You want to discourage playing with merely one or two other players because the random nature of the game makes it play better if you have more opponents and thus more chaos. I agree that showcasing the deflection, disarming, reloading, melee mechanics etc etc is much better this way, but that should come after you have established that this is primarily a multiplayer game - we play with lots of people here, it's not another one of those small Indie games destined to die because the servers never got populated.

Like, you get what I'm saying? I don't wanna sound negative, I don't think the trailer is bad, it's just I'm worried you might've misrepresented SFD here. The order of the clips should've been different, that way you would've put an emphasis on the bigger lobbies for the majority of the 2 minutes, instead of showing 1v1 clips and making the impression this is something you play alone or with just one friend. Additionally you should've probably made a distinction between the different parts of the trailer - "those are our clever Bots, this is our highly intense Multiplayer mode, this is our mysterious Campaign". I feel you should've also shown some actual multiplayer footage! Disable chat and let people have a go at one another, this can only improve the trailer since you show you already have an existent playerbase to fall back on in case the game isn't as successful as it was supposed to be. Nothing wrong with showing actual people play this game and not only "placeholders".

Other than that I really do like the new trailer; the Sunnycity transitions, the music, the battle highlights are all very cool to experience. I do like the showcasing of the previously mentioned mechanics, this only builds on the fact SFD is one of a kind and everyone should play it at least once. This trailer will be the face of the game on the store page and I think it will do good, I just hope it doesn't serve a detriment for people who actually like that kind of stuff but get the wrong idea about it from the footage you have provided them with.
8 x

RickAvory
Superfighter
Superfighter

Post by RickAvory » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:28 pm

KliPeH wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:06 pm
RickAvory wrote:
https://youtu.be/9YtiRsJWx6w
This is going to sound weird, but I'm having an issue with the first three clips (0:12-0:20) being showcased before the next three (0:20-0:28) where all the chaotic firefighting is shown in its full glory. The trailer should first and foremost focus on the 8-player combat (or however many players were there), before showing the unique mechanics the game features 1 on 1. The trailer would have represented the game better had it shown highlights from a fully populated lobby (from one of Gurt's random gameplay footage videos, for example) instead of introducing the game through a bunch of 1v1's. The game's focus isn't on one-on-one combat, its strengths lie in the larger match-ups. If you think about it, it would also fit the "A good fight is its own reward" intro better, as a full blown battle between multiple players does look like a good fight in this mainly-Multiplayer-gaming era, especially for an Indie game of this size.

The intro (0:00-0:11) was about to be really cool but then you put a 1v1 there and it felt underwhelming. Had I known nothing about the game and would have seen the trailer for the first time I'd think to myself "oh okay, so in this game I play against my friend like in the other low budget Indie games"; then I would have seen the next 3 clips and would think to myself "cool, I can also play against more people" - and that's not the impression a new player should be getting. You first and foremost play against more players, and if you have no choice you play against fewer opponents or maybe even just one.

You don't want to give players the impression that this is a game you play with few players like Duck Game or Invisigun Heroes. SFD is more flexible than that, which is also what's going to make it more successful. You want to discourage playing with merely one or two other players because the random nature of the game makes it play better if you have more opponents and thus more chaos. I agree that showcasing the deflection, disarming, reloading, melee mechanics etc etc is much better this way, but that should come after you have established that this is primarily a multiplayer game - we play with lots of people here, it's not another one of those small Indie games destined to die because the servers never got populated.

Like, you get what I'm saying? I don't wanna sound negative, I don't think the trailer is bad, it's just I'm worried you might've misrepresented SFD here. The order of the clips should've been different, that way you would've put an emphasis on the bigger lobbies for the majority of the 2 minutes, instead of showing 1v1 clips and making the impression this is something you play alone or with just one friend. Additionally you should've probably made a distinction between the different parts of the trailer - "those are our clever Bots, this is our highly intense Multiplayer mode, this is our mysterious Campaign". I feel you should've also shown some actual multiplayer footage! Disable chat and let people have a go at one another, this can only improve the trailer since you show you already have an existent playerbase to fall back on in case the game isn't as successful as it was supposed to be. Nothing wrong with showing actual people play this game and not only "placeholders".

Other than that I really do like the new trailer; the Sunnycity transitions, the music, the battle highlights are all very cool to experience. I do like the showcasing of the previously mentioned mechanics, this only builds on the fact SFD is one of a kind and everyone should play it at least once. This trailer will be the face of the game on the store page and I think it will do good, I just hope it doesn't serve a detriment for people who actually like that kind of stuff but get the wrong idea about it from the footage you have provided them with.
You know what? I never really thought about it like that. If I had no idea what this game was maybe I would think of it a lot diffeeently. Maybe I should show this to some of my mates who don’t play and see what they think
0 x

Splinter
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Grenade chef
Started SFD: 1.1.6
Post by Splinter » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:17 pm

@KliPeH

First of all, thanks for the constructive feedback! Good points, everything you said makes a lot of sense. I'm gonna explain a bit of the ideas behind that trailer.

I agree when you say the game's strength lies in chaotic battles with several players, due to the game's many randomic features and all the "potential energy" lying around: falling objects, explosives, power weapons. Any spark can cause a huge chain reaction. While this is arguably the game's greatest strength in terms of gameplay, I wanted to show the game's *uniqueness* first, and I think that's the many interactions between guns and melee. Not that SFD is the only game that has guns and melee, but you rarely see games where a melee fighter can dodge bullets, reflect them and put up a fight using only a pipe wrench. This goes back since the first time I played Superfighters. I remember playing many flash 2D shooters and when I played SF, I thought "oh, I can use guns AND melee!? cool!". So I think the first scene really shows how SFD is cool: a guy rolls to dodge a shotgun blast, punches him in the face and disarms him.

One other idea I had was to create a bit of progression to keep the trailer interesting. It starts with an intro, then focuses on small fights, then it starts showing more and more chaos and bigger fights.

I hope everyone who watches the trailer watches it entirely so they can see everything the game has to offer, but I understand that some people might watch only about 20 seconds or even less before they click away. So, you might be right about showing 8-player battles first. But I think we can't change the trailer now, unfortunately. If there's time, I could make a short version later showing chaotic battles right away if we put some ads on youtube or something, though!
9 x
Hold your breath.

Sree
Superfighter
Superfighter
SFD Account: phasmic
SFD Alias: sree

Post by Sree » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:08 am

the trailer could've used better transitions like "upto 8 players multiplayer battles" and something to indicate that it's the story mode in the last part.

i also feel like the trailer should have showcased character customization and official maps at some point along with the game's support for custom maps and scripts with a few good community made maps as examples.

using bots in those gameplays was honestly a clumsy move, showcasing the game mechanics could've been better if you used actual players to execute them.
3 x

Hjarpe
Lead Designer
Lead Designer
Started SFD: The grey dawn of time

Post by Hjarpe » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:20 am

I think Splinter did a great job finding a balance between showing the chaos and also not overwhelming newcomers with information, hence the smaller fights.

Those aren't actual bots, but I suggested the use of bot profiles, as an example of how you can theme your character, and because new players won't know those are bot characters anyway.

I think everyone has their own idea what an SFD trailer should be, and there are no right/wrong answers. You just can't cram everything in, and you can't please everyone, but I'm very happy with what we got! We'll probably put more "random gameplay" clips on the Steam page as well, and screenshots of the character customization and map editor.
8 x
Quinterball: Vigorously shaking a tile while rapidly tapping CTRL causes the selected tile to randomly flash red.
MythoLogic Interactive: By design.

Rick Sanchez
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Alcoholic
SFD Account: Rick Sanchez
SFD Alias: Rick Sanchez
Started SFD: 1.5.0b

Post by Rick Sanchez » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:07 pm

This is what i wanted the SFD trailer to look like, Good job!
2 x

RickAvory
Superfighter
Superfighter

Post by RickAvory » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:14 am

@Hjarpe @KliPeH @Splinter I actually told some of my mates to watch the trailer not knowing what the game was. They said that they thought it was “Like [an] even more chaotic ssb with guns” which is positive to them. I the group told some of there mates only to find out that they had already been playing the flash version and were unaware of the sequal! Maybe you should put an advert on the original flash directing them to your outstanding sequal!
2 x

RickAvory
Superfighter
Superfighter

Post by RickAvory » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:07 am

Oreo wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:37 am
RickAvory wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:14 am
I the group told some of there mates only to find out that they had already been playing the flash version and were unaware of the sequal! Maybe you should put an advert on the original flash directing them to your outstanding sequal!
Yea good point man, that’s where the money is guys. I know three other people who’ve played the original SF and I bet none of them have ever heard of SFD.
I had been playing the original Superfighters for an entire year at school until I found out about SFD. I regret I didn't find it earlier.
0 x