Dear forum users! In compliance with the new European GDPR regulations, we'd just like to inform you that if you have an account, your email address is stored in our database. We do not share your information with third parties, and your email address and password are encrypted for security reasons.

New to the forum? Say hello in this topic! Also make sure to read the rules.

Open source SF

Discuss everything to do with Superfighters Deluxe here that doesn't fit in other Superfighters Deluxe Forums!
Forum rules
By using the forum you agree to the following rules.
Hamurlik
Fighter
Fighter

Open source SF

Post by Hamurlik » Sat May 30, 2020 4:53 pm

Because SFD is dying right now, open source might give it a last chance, but since SFD is a commercial product, why don't open source superfighters the flash game? It's not commercial, almost everyone forgot about it, so it will not hurt mythologic's wallet in any way, people will be able to mod the hell out of it, fix the major issues, or heck, maybe even make custom maps for it.
the only problem there could be is if SFD has some SF code leftovers, then maybe SFD will be hurt in some way, but still, it's not like anyone is going to make hacks for it, the community of SFD is literally 25 players at best, so who cares.

Destroy my hopes and dreams in the comments, i already see you typing because of how stupid this post may be.
2 x

Mighty Spirit the 2
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Wasted potential
SFD Account: ake004
SFD Alias: Retired SFD player
Started SFD: When melee was good

Post by Mighty Spirit the 2 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:56 am

Although i quite like the idea of being able to make my own maps for Superfighters, as there are too few maps, maybe even porting some SFD maps over to Superfighters would be cool. I mean as long as no-one redistributes their mod. Sadly i can't mod for shit, so making bots wander around the map would be a no go for me. I prefer the physics in SF over the bs we have in SFD, the game is much less luck based in SF and the single player experience is amazing, the hard bots are really aggresive and hardcore. The simplicity and faster pacing, lower damage for explosives and falldamage make the game much more competitive and fun.
And another thing, flash is dying to the point that there won't be flash games around anymore. :(
I say leave SF as it is, and just add more control and options to the players in SFD. We should be able to play the game the way we want. Yes the community is dying we have like 30 players on average maybe, and that's including all the pirate servers and players, who ironically help keep the game alive in world-areas where nobody purchased the game.
Lets see if mythologic addresses your post, i have a feeling there won't be a lot of replies.
Last edited by Mighty Spirit the 2 on Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
🎶I will tell your story if you die
I will tell your story and keep you alive the best i can
But I've always had the feeling we would die young
Some die young
🎵
https://i.imgur.com/D479VLi.png

Gurt
Lead Programmer
Lead Programmer
Title: Lead programmer
Started SFD: Made it!

Post by Gurt » Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:45 pm

I'm not against the idea of open sourcing the original SF flash game but I don't think it's time for that yet. SF is stil played at newgrounds, y8 and other places focusing on flash games. You can also play it offline by downloading it here https://mythologicinteractive.com/Superfighters
2 x
Gurt

Hamurlik
Fighter
Fighter

Post by Hamurlik » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:18 am

Gurt wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:45 pm
I'm not against the idea of open sourcing the original SF flash game but I don't think it's time for that yet. SF is stil played at newgrounds, y8 and other places focusing on flash games. You can also play it offline by downloading it here https://mythologicinteractive.com/Superfighters
It's not like newgrounds will die anytime soon, same for y8, if game becomes open source it will not be deleted or anything like that, so i don't understand how it will harm it in any way, you don't need the game fully die to make a big boom by making it open source, very much the other way! while people still care, they will find the open source and do something funny to it, so i only find it better for the community, the only way of this failing if the code is just spaghetti and the tools made for debug and adding new stuff are only understandable to devs, then yes, i agree, the game should be left to die, but we, as a community of SFD, love the game, and will never find anything like it, i've seen people trying to remake the game, and it was pretty much nothing and died really fast but they had the spirit, with that spirit anything can be modded and played for another week, and even more, i'm pretty sure you understand that, so i can't see why the game should fully die for it to be closely to open source.
Mighty Spirit the 2 wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:56 am
Although i quite like the idea of being able to make my own maps for Superfighters, as there are too few maps, maybe even porting some SFD maps over to Superfighters would be cool. I mean as long as no-one redistributes their mod. Sadly i can't mod for shit, so making bots wander around the map would be a no go for me. I prefer the physics in SF over the bs we have in SFD, the game is much less luck based in SF and the single player experience is amazing, the hard bots are really aggresive and hardcore. The simplicity and faster pacing, lower damage for explosives and falldamage make the game much more competitive and fun.
And another thing, flash is dying to the point that there won't be flash games around anymore. :(
I say leave SF as it is, and just add more control and options to the players in SFD. We should be able to play the game the way we want. Yes the community is dying we have like 30 players on average maybe, and that's including all the pirate servers and players, who ironically help keep the game alive in world-areas where nobody purchased the game.
Lets see if mythologic addresses your post, i have a feeling there won't be a lot of replies.
there is a game called realm of the mad god, it's a flash rpg game, and to this day it's played using flash projector, it's even got released on steam. Flash is a problem with fps but the game will run at a reasonable fps, and it will work so whatever.
Last edited by KliPeH on Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged a double post.
1 x

Odex64
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Content Creator
SFD Account: Odex64
Started SFD: PreAlpha

Post by Odex64 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:40 am

Hamurlik wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:18 am
Gurt wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:45 pm
It's not like newgrounds will die anytime soon, same for y8, if game becomes open source it will not be deleted or anything like that, so i don't understand how it will harm it in any way, you don't need the game fully die to make a big boom by making it open source...
Hamurlik is right, don't misunderstand me but websistes such as y8 or newgrounds won't die soon, and open sourcing SF is a good idea to keep the original game alive; So why don't open source it soon? Many SFD scripters will improve it and learn new stuff about programming, it will be a good thing for both sides and everyone will enjoy it!

I'm waiting for your reply, @Gurt.
4 x