Dear forum users! In compliance with the new European GDPR regulations, we'd just like to inform you that if you have an account, your email address is stored in our database. We do not share your information with third parties, and your email address and password are encrypted for security reasons.

New to the forum? Say hello in this topic! Also make sure to read the rules.

What Motivates You?

Here you can talk about other things not related to Superfighters Deluxe or other games by MythoLogic Interactive.
Forum rules
By using the forum you agree to the following rules.
RickAvory
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Sunny City Nationalist
SFD Account: Rick Avory
SFD Alias: (EA) Rick Avory
Started SFD: Sep 2016

What Motivates You?

Post by RickAvory » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:53 pm

Hello. Some of you may or may not know but I am a wrestler. My wrestling season came to an unfortunate end early when I had received an injury to my shoulder. This event has left me almost not knowing what to do with myself as I had been so consumed and obsessed with this sport. I was super motivated to excel and as a result ended up having a much better season than the year prior. I was addicted to that feeling of winning, getting my hand raised in front of everyone was probably one of the most rewarding feelings I have ever felt.

Similarly, the game that this site is linked to, Superfighters Deluxe, had a similar reaction to me. It was one summer last year where I got infatuated with that feeling of winning and having a good game. I Started chasing that feeling heavily until it suddenly clicked and I actually had a chance against other individuals.

I had recently found out what motivates me the most, the feeling of success. It is funny that I had not even realized the root cause of this feeling until my injury. Now I am curious to see how others are motivated. Let me know in the comments.
6 x
We must root out the impurities in our midst

Pricey
Superfighter
Superfighter
SFD Alias: (LM) Pricey
Started SFD: August 2015

Post by Pricey » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:33 pm

I play basketball here (which admittedly in the UK is not a very high standard, but I grew up in Australia so that's why I play it) and honestly winning is nice, but winning when the game is tight is even better. The feeling of accomplishment when you get a win after you've grinded out the last 5 minutes in the 4th quarter is a second to none feeling in basketball. Also breaking ankles and nasty stepbacks, they're fun too.
4 x

ebomb09
Fighter
Fighter
SFD Account: ebomb09

Post by ebomb09 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:09 am

I used to compete in gymnastics and what motivated me was to just get better. I'm no pro and I rarely ever 'won' or got in top three but I just liked getting better. Where I live, few even knew what the sport was so being able to show off was also great. Later on I started to get more into music and programming which I enjoyed just as much as the gymnastics for being able to learn so much. So I guess I'm just motivated to learn stuff.
4 x

Sree
Superfighter
Superfighter
SFD Account: phasmic
SFD Alias: sree

Post by Sree » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:08 am

wow lmao, what motivates me to play video games is because I am not good at any sports
3 x

Sh4d0w
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: the xD guy
SFD Alias: too many aliases
Started SFD: before sfd

Post by Sh4d0w » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:47 am

social anxiety
2 x

KliPeH
Title: [happy moth noises]
SFD Account: KliPeH
Started SFD: Pre-Alpha 1.4.2

Post by KliPeH » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:50 pm

Hey, thanks for sharing. I'll do my best to write an appropriately good reply.

I operate a personal guard dog as a part of a certain occupation. She's extremely well-disciplined and well-behaved. She's properly potty-trained and doesn't make a fuss over vaccinations or regular check-ups. She has never caused trouble with other people, on the contrary - she's very friendly to people who are part of the group while aggressive to people that don't look the part or seem "off" - exactly as any guard dog should be. Training her is a blast since she's very motivated to work and is always eager to fulfill her duties.

The root of my motivation is essentially my receiving her as a blank slate and having the ability to take the training any direction I want. It so turns out she's very experienced attacking and defending targets but has no knowledge of cool stuff we can do to impress people otherwise. As I am working with her to strengthen her discipline I teach her little things that turn her into a more knowledgeable dog. We're at a point where she does things that are part of a routine on her own without me having to tell her to do them, and it makes me happy to see my attempts to train her bear fruit - as I've had zero experience with dogs in the past.

I always took inspiration from people who were far more experienced than I am and had very disciplined dogs, and so I strived to train better. I perfect training methods and manage to take us to new, higher levels of mastery over the different commands. I have a partner who's also had no prior experience with dogs but is a terrible trainer, and has a terrible dog as a result; it goes in its kennel every day instead of waiting for a walk to go outside, it barks at everything and never shuts up, it's overly aggressive to everyone but me and her, it doesn't know how to follow even the most basic commands and it scares easily from daily check-ups and vaccinations. The worst of it is probably that the lack of discipline has caused it to bite people who it wasn't supposed to bite, on multiple occasions, turning work with her into an occupational hazard. My partner's daily routine with it is that of neglect but she refuses to let me help her. I have talked to her about this and report these incidents on a near-weekly basis but nothing changes.

I'm glad my dog isn't like this. I'm glad I'm not like this. I can reach great places with my companion and that's what I intend to do. I don't have much but her, she has saved me from a life of misery and I will not soon forget that. I owe her and will do my best to keep her safe and healthy until I have to say my last goodbyes.
4 x

Shock
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Content-maker
SFD Account: Shock
Started SFD: Pre-Alpha 1.2.0.

Post by Shock » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:46 pm

I was in easy athletics for about seven years. But once I was given to another coach and he just kicked me out, I began to hate others. Then I went back to the old coaches and usually was broad-jumping while running, running. I have a lot of medals... But I ruined these talents because of my illness...

I feel something inside, and i can't explain it, i really like the atmosphere resonancability, seems like i can see what others can't see in the nature and it's beauty... I really like creativity: i can draw, i can make maps, i can compose music (also trying to sing), i can do whatever i wanna do if i have desire... (I am also frontend and a bit backend Web-programmer, starting to learn JS to find work on the net)
I'm "sick" by aesthetics and i like purple, black, ++ colors.

I listen to hybrids of metal and hardcore(melodic metalcore, posthardcore, also melodic hardcore) oftenly, but i also like complextro, ambient, synthwave, shougaze and others... That's what motivates me at all.
i wasn't beloved... I am always alone... :cry:
3 x
-Content-maker.

RickAvory
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Sunny City Nationalist
SFD Account: Rick Avory
SFD Alias: (EA) Rick Avory
Started SFD: Sep 2016

Post by RickAvory » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:16 am

I love all these responses and even envy some of the natural habbits that positively motivate some.
4 x
We must root out the impurities in our midst

Sree
Superfighter
Superfighter
SFD Account: phasmic
SFD Alias: sree

Post by Sree » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:30 am

tbh I thought this post was about what motivates one to play sfd but I guess i am wrong, taking into consideration how people are speaking about their sports background and pets. so uh yeah imma make another post about what really motivates me in life. this might be super geeky because unlike most others in this thread I have no sports background and my daily schedule is just science, school works and gaming in my free time.

what motivates me in life is the desire to be the smartest in my field (which is science), I know it is too ambiguous, there are always people smarter than you at whatever you specialize and whenever I see someone of my age group having more knowledge than me in physics or science, It just makes me feel inferior and that feeling of inferiority immediately makes me want to learn whatever they were talking about, In fact, I discovered machine learning when I heard my sister talking about it (she specializes in computer science as well) and I even developed a passion for it. It's funny because at the very core, what motivates me is my insecurity and ego, I would always doubt myself if I can't do something on my own or if I don't have any understanding of something, for example, I've spent hours surfing the source code of .NET core (which is a framework upon which people code in c#) to understand how things work internally when I write a small snippet of code and when I concluded that the .NET frameworks at the lowest level depends upon native interoperability and uses native OS libraries to do most tasks, I immediately started to research how those libraries work at the very core because I cannot stand the state of not knowing how something that I do works internally.

my school teaches me a lot of things but It never teaches me the internal working of anything.. for example, we do calculus in school without even having the knowledge of what calculus basically is or why we employ it, and that thirst for knowledge put me into another day of researching and I digged so deep I even found out that calculus was basically a side product of newton's research in gravity lmao. In conclusion, what motivates me is my losses and insecurity instead of wins. the ego I develop when I see someone outsmarts me gives me the drive to learn more and the insecurity that makes me question myself "do I know this" quickly turns into "yeah lets go and learn this".
6 x

Rick Sanchez
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Alcoholic
SFD Account: Rick Sanchez
SFD Alias: Rick Sanchez
Started SFD: 1.5.0b

Post by Rick Sanchez » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:27 pm

In my field of work there are lots of big and small projects that i have to take part in and actually have to take responsibility if something goes haywire, but also get credit if things go as planned and when they do it makes me feel pretty warm and fuzzy inside. Apart from that, pretty much anything, like waking up early and drinking some coffee, i don't know what it is about that but, but an early morning wake up with coffee motivates my day A ton.
0 x