Dear forum users! In compliance with the new European GDPR regulations, we'd just like to inform you that if you have an account, your email address is stored in our database. We do not share your information with third parties, and your email address and password are encrypted for security reasons.

New to the forum? Say hello in this topic! Also make sure to read the rules.

Why are common words ignored while searching?

Here you can talk about other things not related to Superfighters Deluxe or other games by MythoLogic Interactive.
Forum rules
By using the forum you agree to the following rules.
The Potatolord
Fighter
Fighter
SFD Account: The Potatolord

Why are common words ignored while searching?

Post by The Potatolord » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:03 pm

Hey, was thinking of posting a suggestion about a grenade, and I wanted to look through the grenade suggestion posts to see what was already posted so I don't repost. Search doesn't let you search grenade, though, as it is a too common word. What's the reason for having searching limited, and is there anyway to bypass that? If you're trying to search for something generic, like grenades, you should be able too, right? I just can't find a reason as to why search limits you to more uncommon words
1 x

RickAvory
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Sunny City Nationalist
SFD Account: Rick Avory
SFD Alias: (EA) Rick Avory
Started SFD: Sep 2016

Post by RickAvory » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:06 pm

The Potatolord wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:03 pm
Hey, was thinking of posting a suggestion about a grenade, and I wanted to look through the grenade suggestion posts to see what was already posted so I don't repost. Search doesn't let you search grenade, though, as it is a too common word. What's the reason for having searching limited, and is there anyway to bypass that? If you're trying to search for something generic, like grenades, you should be able too, right? I just can't find a reason as to why search limits you to more uncommon words
It is very annoying. I’m not sure Mythologic can do much about it. We should complain to phpBB
0 x
We must root out the impurities in our midst

GreenyShark
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Stealing kills from range
SFD Alias: Greeny
Started SFD: PreAlpha 1.7.0

Post by GreenyShark » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:19 am

Doesn't Mythologic interactive set which words are ignored?
I don't like this feature because I constantly find myself looking for old forum post and not being able to search for them because in characters are ignored
1 x

Gurt
Lead Programmer
Lead Programmer
Title: Lead programmer
Started SFD: Made it!

Post by Gurt » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:08 pm

We use phpBB 3.1 forums. I don't know if we can disable that common words feature. If anyone know which settings to change to make the search work for common words please share how to do it. We simply prioritize to spend our limited time elsewhere (working on the game).
0 x
Gurt

Ciro
Fighter
Fighter
Title: Zirilu
SFD Account: Ciro

Post by Ciro » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:19 pm

Gurt wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:08 pm
We use phpBB 3.1 forums. I don't know if we can disable that common words feature. If anyone know which settings to change to make the search work for common words please share how to do it. We simply prioritize to spend our limited time elsewhere (working on the game).
Found this:
ACP > General (tab) > Server Configuration > Search Settings > "Common word threshold"

A higher number will allow more occurrences. Zero will disable the feature.

The Search Index needs to be rebuilt after any change: Maintenance (tab) > Search Index > "Delete index" (then (re)"Create index").
Here: https://support.ourboard.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1978

Reindexing seems to take some though.
1 x

Gurt
Lead Programmer
Lead Programmer
Title: Lead programmer
Started SFD: Made it!

Post by Gurt » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:06 pm

I swapped search engine to mySQL fulltext, reindexing took 5 seconds.
Search seem to be working. You can search for "grenade" now.
Thanks for the tip.
3 x
Gurt