Dear forum users! In compliance with the new European GDPR regulations, we'd just like to inform you that if you have an account, your email address is stored in our database. We do not share your information with third parties, and your email address and password are encrypted for security reasons.

New to the forum? Say hello in this topic! Also make sure to read the rules.

(Tutorial) One very important thing is to open the port

Having trouble running SFD? This is the place to get help and report errors.
Forum rules
By using the forum you agree to the following rules. For this forum you also need to follow these additional rules.
Jaksen
Meatbag
Title: men(three dot)
SFD Account: Jakc's_0FF
SFD Alias: Random

(Tutorial) One very important thing is to open the port

Post by Jaksen » Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:56 pm

There are several concepts in IP addresses:

Gray IP, White IP, Dynamic IP.

Let's start with a gray IP. You won't be able to host with it no matter how much you want to.

Specifically, we need a white and dynamic IP for the host. White IP is usually a service provider. In my case, I bought the service for 150 rub. Maybe someone is free or cheaper.

To check your IP (not to be confused with IPv4), you need to go to any site that checks your IP, in my case I went to 2ip... You need to go to the main page of the router at the address, in my case at this address 192.168.1.1, find your connection, whether it's via Wi-Fi or LAN, find out your IP address. Then remember and compare. If they are the same( 91.100... - 91.100...), you can open ports. If different( 11.192... - 10.255...), then your IP is gray. In case of dynamic, he just changes. List of gray IP addresses:

10.0.0.0 to 10.255.255.255
172.16.0.0 to 172.31.255.255
192.168.0.0 to 192.168.255.255
100.64.0.0 to 100.127.255.255

Dynamic IP. I don't know much about him, except that if you are hosting a server privately, check your address and give it to your friends. It seems like the IP changes when you turn off the computer.

Something from me. When I was already with a white IP, I opened the ports. I had to change from automatic to manual.
And the most important thing. If even a white IP did not help you to host the server. Check your firewall, and firewall services. After all, they can provide firewall services and block something ... Turn them off. There are a lot of guides on the Internet, then look for yourself, good luck
1 x
bruh

KliPeH
Title: [happy moth noises]
SFD Account: KliPeH
Started SFD: Pre-Alpha 1.4.2

Post by KliPeH » Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:22 pm

Jaksen wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:56 pm
[...] In my case, I bought the service for 150 rub. Maybe someone is free or cheaper.
I highly encourage anyone who reads this not to pay for a service that is meant to come with your router free of charge. ISPs arbitrarily monetize a setting in your control panel then charge good money to give you your freedom back. Forwarding ports is not taxing on the bandwidth your ISP provides and it cannot be held liable for any damage you do to your devices from opening those ports. There is absolutely no reason to charge money for this, other than sheer corporate greed.

I went over this topic in my port forwarding tutorial. The correct solution to an ISP assigning you a private, dynamic address, is demanding that they switch you to a public, static address, because it is within your right to do so. If they refuse, find a different brand (preferably their competitor), and tell them you're no longer interested in using their services.

I understand not everyone in this community can make such decisions, seeing as most people here are either too young to deal with money or live with families where someone else is in charge of the household; however, if you happen to be independent, this is the only way to move forward. I switched ISPs after my old one refused to let me forward ports for free, after a year of not being able to host any game (not just SFD). My only regret is that I have not done so soon enough.

My tutorial also goes over most things mentioned in this thread; dynamic addresses changing periodically, differences between address types etc.
KliPeH wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:15 pm
You will not be able to host if your ISP has put you behind a NAT.

[...] The easiest way to find whether you're behind a NAT or not is to simply enter your router control panel and look at what your IP address is. Now, look your public IP up; if the number Google gives you does not match the one in your panel, you're behind a NAT. The only way to fix this is to call your ISP and ask them to assign you a static IP address.

Keep in mind some ISPs will charge additional money for such a service, which is unacceptable. At that point you have the choice to either support an incredibly shady and restrictive practice, or moving to a more sensible internet service provider.
KliPeH wrote:
You have 3 different types of addresses, all fulfilling a different role. It is imperative that you understand when to use which address in order to successfully forward your ports.
  • The gateway address (e.g. 10.0.0.138) is the address you use to get into your router's control panel. It is not used anywhere but in your browser's search bar.
  • The IPv4 address (e.g. 192.168.0.1) is the address you use in all your forwarding entries; when you create a new entry for a port and you're asked to input an "address", it is always going to be your IPv4 address, never anything else. Players do not use this address to connect to your game unless you're on the same network.
  • Finally, the public IP address (e.g. 221.192.199.49) is the address you give your friends so they can connect to your lobby online. It is never used anywhere else but in-game.
Remember not to mix the addresses up, e.g using your IP address in place of the IPv4 address when creating the forwarding entry.
KliPeH wrote:
Your IPv4 address might change periodically.

This will invalidate the entry you created and prevent you from hosting again until the router cycles the address back to the IPv4 address you used initially. Routers don't set up static IPv4 addresses because it is less secure to do so, updating PF entries with relevant addresses will be on you. If you were ever able to host but can't anymore, or can only do it sometimes, this is the reason why. [...]

The address changes on a daily (every PC/router restart), weekly or monthly basis.
4 x