Dear forum users! In compliance with the new European GDPR regulations, we'd just like to inform you that if you have an account, your email address is stored in our database. We do not share your information with third parties, and your email address and password are encrypted for security reasons.

New to the forum? Say hello in this topic! Also make sure to read the rules.

Dedicated Server Software Issues

Having trouble running SFD? This is the place to get help and report errors.
Forum rules
By using the forum you agree to the following rules. For this forum you also need to follow these additional rules.
RickAvory
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Sunny City Nationalist
SFD Account: Rick Avory
SFD Alias: (EA) Rick Avory
Started SFD: Sep 2016

Dedicated Server Software Issues

Post by RickAvory » Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:23 am

Hello. I am writing to report my issues with the dedicated software, and I am hoping if there is a way to resolve this.

I have started to host a 24/7 Dedicated server off an old laptop I have. The following are the issues I have been having with it recently.

To begin, i have started to realize that when using the software for a long time things in game will begin to glitch out. I have captured a video to document this issue. Elevators would not work when you press the button, Elevators moving completely on their own.
in Canals the boat stops moving and you can even jump in the water and move under it. This looks awfully similar to the previous bug I documented in this thread.

https://youtu.be/mvvZYXmKm5M

My next issue had to do with the settings of my server. For whatever reason, after a long period of time (I presume this to be the time the server resets) all my previous settings I had set for the server (server name, time limit, etc) gets reset back to default.
0 x
We must root out the impurities in our midst

Gurt
Lead Programmer
Lead Programmer
Title: Lead programmer
Started SFD: Made it!

Post by Gurt » Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:23 am

1: Make sure you set the server to automatically restart every night or so.
2: Never run the same map for long period of times without restarting the map (have a timer).

My best guess for your situation:
Looks like the server is running slowly or some thread is not responding or something. A multicore system when running a server is strongly recommended (like 4 cores). Or maybe you have two or more servers running.
If the problem solves itself by restarting the server it might be a script you have (or several) that causes the server to run more slowly over time, maybe an unoptimized loop in the update() function taking more and more time to execute.
I run my server on my laptop. Make sure it doesn't enter a power saving mode (which can reduce the overall CPU resources to any long-running applications).

"For whatever reason, after a long period of time (I presume this to be the time the server resets) all my previous settings I had set for the server (server name, time limit, etc) gets reset back to default." - this I cannot answer. Only time everything is reset is if the config.ini file can't be read.
I suggest you create a shortcut pointing the server to its own config.ini file, it might help. See the "Help" in the server software how to set that up.
0 x
Gurt