Dear forum users! In compliance with the new European GDPR regulations, we'd just like to inform you that if you have an account, your email address is stored in our database. We do not share your information with third parties, and your email address and password are encrypted for security reasons.

New to the forum? Say hello in this topic! Also make sure to read the rules.

Glitchy Crane in the Tutorial

All reported bugs that's actually by design.
Forum rules
By using the forum you agree to the following rules. For this forum you also need to follow these additional rules.
RickAvory
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Meme Activist
SFD Account: Rick Avory
SFD Alias: (EA) Rick Avory
Started SFD: Sep 2016

Glitchy Crane in the Tutorial

Post by RickAvory » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:22 pm

The Crane in the tutorial has some peculiar properties.

-The Crane seems to reach a maximum speed when kicked while mounted, however still retains speed while mounted if you do not kick it.
-You can kick the Crane when not mounted and it can go past the maximum speed.
-If you kick while on the Crane, you get flung off.
-The Crane ended up doing a whole flip, which is something I have never seen before in my 2 years of playing Superfighters.

I am not sure if this applies to any other Cranes in SFD, but I have never seen it in other maps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-N31Ni ... 5dj00u00c2
0 x
Number 1 in the Sunny City Scavenger Hunt! Three years running.:D

Vitamin E
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Completely Neutral
Started SFD: around 2012
Post by Vitamin E » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:26 am

Although the physics seem a little weird, all of this is completely by design. When it seems like you “lose momentum” and fall off this is because you are kicking the hook from under your own feet. When you fling yourself off the hook this is because when you kick, it pushes your character forward a little, and when you do this near the edge of the hook, you fall. And finally the reason the hook spun is just because of how joints connect with triggers. Any object on a distance joint is able to be rotated on its wire.
0 x

RickAvory
Superfighter
Superfighter

Post by RickAvory » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:14 am

Well, that doesn’t explain why the crane suddenly stops moving after a certain speed while kicking it. It only seems to happen in the tutorial map and not with any other crane that I have seen.
0 x

Gurt
Lead Programmer
Lead Programmer
Title: Lead programmer
Started SFD: Made it!

Post by Gurt » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:23 pm

Everything is by design.
The crane works as designed in the map editor.
Kicking any object forces your character for a brief period of time maintain your velocity to put it simply (it's a bit more technical but that's outside the scope of this). The crane works as a pendulum so it kinda like swings back around up on yourself, colliding with you during the kick (if timed well). This gives the result of the crane slowing down even if you kick on it on the way down.
In the end we use the box2D engine and the character itself is a box2D object with special handling. We're not trying to simulate any real life physics in this game. Even kicking on something you're standing on doesn't really make any sense to begin with. :)
0 x
Gurt

RickAvory
Superfighter
Superfighter

Post by RickAvory » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:35 pm

Gurt wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:23 pm
Everything is by design.
Kicking any object forces your character for a brief period of time maintain your velocity to put it simply (it's a bit more technical but that's outside the scope of this). The crane works as a pendulum so it kinda like swings back around up on yourself, colliding with you during the kick (if timed well). This gives the result of the crane slowing down even if you kick on it on the way down.
In the end we use the box2D engine and the character itself is a box2D object with special handling. We're not trying to simulate any real life physics in this game. Even kicking on something you're standing on doesn't really make any sense to begin with. :)
I get it Gurt. But why only on the tutorial map? I just don’t see the reasoning
0 x

Hjarpe
Lead Designer
Lead Designer
Started SFD: The grey dawn of time

Post by Hjarpe » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:11 am

RickAvory wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:35 pm
Gurt wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:23 pm
Everything is by design.
I get it Gurt. But why only on the tutorial map? I just don’t see the reasoning
The physics work the same in every map. The way I hooked up this particular hook in the map editor may be unique, but rest assured it's the same janky Box2D physics across the board. :mrgreen:
2 x
Quinterball: Vigorously shaking a tile while rapidly tapping CTRL causes the selected tile to randomly flash red.
MythoLogic Interactive: By design.

RickAvory
Superfighter
Superfighter

Post by RickAvory » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:03 pm

Fair enough. It’s just a different velocity at which momentum maxes. Noticed this in East Warehouse. Thanks for explaining
0 x