Dear forum users! In compliance with the new European GDPR regulations, we'd just like to inform you that if you have an account, your email address is stored in our database. We do not share your information with third parties, and your email address and password are encrypted for security reasons.

New to the forum? Say hello in this topic! Also make sure to read the rules.

Map Editor Suggestion: Custom Assets

Give us your input on how we may improve the game in future versions.
Forum rules
By using the forum you agree to the following rules. For this forum you also need to follow these additional rules.
Wizados
Meatbag
Title: To pixel, or not to pixel.
Started SFD: 1.2.0

Transferring custom stuff.

Post by Wizados » Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:08 pm

In version (1.2.1) and older, player that wanted to play with host who used a custom map had to downald this map.
But after (1.5.0?) update there is no need to downald custom map if you want to play with host who use this map.
So... Da greatest creators of da SFD worl made some kind of... Transfer ._. ? That allows them to play on custom maps without specific map in folder.

Which means that there is (probably) a way to do:
Custom clothes maker
This thing will need a editor... In editor...
Map maker armed with this tool will be able to make clothes for NPC and players (if force em with scrpits).
And this thing will need a paint like window that allows map maker to make all clothes frame by frame.

Custom titles maker
By titles i mean all blocks and background...
Well... It will also require a paint like window but this time with grid (because player wants to know how big this title is)
And maybe something like destroyable objects editor... There are some titles like gargoyle which have normal appearance and this destroyed...

Custom weapons editor is probably... To hard to make?
0 x
Pixel is love, Pixel is life.

Gurt
Lead Programmer
Lead Programmer
Title: Lead programmer
Started SFD: Made it!

Post by Gurt » Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:33 pm

No and no. We will not transfer custom painted textures due to the amount of increased data to transfer (what would stop you from creating 100+ textures?), the coding it takes and the overall handling. The engine wasn't designed for this at all and is nothing Hjarpe and I need for SFD. Sorry, won't happen.
0 x
Gurt

Wizados
Meatbag
Title: To pixel, or not to pixel.
Started SFD: 1.2.0

Post by Wizados » Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:45 pm

You broke my heart...
Hello darkness, my old friend,
I've come to talk with you again...
0 x
Pixel is love, Pixel is life.

Kawabanga
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Epic fails amateur.
SFD Alias: My name is Kawa-bbanggza!!
Started SFD: Late 2015
Post by Kawabanga » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:07 pm

I have to agree with Gurt. Despite new (official) textures in the editor are always desired, custom-made ones would surely break out from the general sfd convention. The game would change its esthetic character too far.
0 x

Motto73
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Lazy ass
SFD Account: Motto73
Started SFD: Multiplayer Test Demo

Post by Motto73 » Tue May 17, 2016 10:01 am

Yeah. I thought that it could be cool to create custom textures. Never crossed my mind this way. Thanks!
And by the way, with the small bgWall components you can make your own pixel art!
Last edited by Motto73 on Mon May 23, 2016 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Lunatic
Title: I hope Klipeh bans himself
SFD Alias: (LM) Lunatic
Started SFD: 1.0.5 Pre-Alpha

Post by Lunatic » Thu May 19, 2016 8:48 am

I'm sure that if we had the tools, custom texture packs could be made, and with those, we could have some crazy campaigns in the future. Again, we just need the tools. I don't think we can get our hands on them, however.
0 x
Originally posted by Gurt
SFD BADASS! 8-)

TheOriginalCj
Title: Lifetime Sentence to SF Wiki
SFD Alias: RedneckJed
Started SFD: PreAlpha 1.1.0

Post by TheOriginalCj » Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:18 am

! Message from: KliPeH
Merged a new take on an idea with an already existing thread.
I'm not saying that we need this now, but it would certainly be helpful if there were to be a feature in which we could incorperate a custom asset/spriting feature, so that both the devs and users can create custom images in FBG/BG/FG so that a large amount of tiles can be removed, as well as being able to make tiles as needed.

How It Should Be Done:
I'm hoping the way I'm suggesting it can be detailed into coding so that if the devs consider this, they can at least be able to better transpose the idea to best fit what I'm trying to suggest.

There would be a simple 8x8 tile in which users can drag and drop onto the editor scene. This 8x8 panel can be expanded to be able to fit dimensions as needed within the map editor itself. Users have two important properties to access with these tiles. The first one, being Grayscale Enabled, a boolean value which allows the tile to be subject to the coloring. The second, Edit, which will open a standalone MS-Paint Type program with a canvas with the same dimensions as the placed tile. If grayscale is set to true, program will limit the user to only drawing using the grayscale pallete (or essentially setting R, G and B to 0 and locking them from being moved).

Users can then draw whatever their heart desires (Hopefully in an art style akin to that of SFD).

When closed out, each pixel is sent then as what I can assume is processed pixel by pixel as a 2D Array, then placed into the position in which was drawn and shown on the map editor. It should save internally within the map files so that users will not need to require the map like in the old days... (*cries quietly to self*)

Important Features to Consider:
  • - Standard Spriting tools found on MS Paint (Y'know the ones that really matter like lines, boxes and other such).

- Set a Transparency Color (This can either be a single, spesific color, or just have the standalone automatically process a transparent background).

- Copy/Paste (Because users will want to copy the fantastic art of others as usual).

- Export as .PNG (Or whichever HQ image file is easier for XNA GS to convert to, helpful for having a backup image).

- Import from File (Another helpful way of inserting images from a backup)
Why Custom Assets are Beneficial:
Custom Assets are not only a way to cut down on the amount of space the game requires to load tiles, but it can also be easier for users to add additional detail to already current tiles. No more need for signs (and all respective tiles affiliated with them), billboards, and most of the far background tiles! Giving users more freedom to work with will encourage users to make more unique maps.

I'm sure you'll find that the effort put into adding this feature now, will have a much greater payoff in the end, decreasing the stress of loading map tiles as well as freeing space for additional features to be added into the game.
2 x
Superfighters Wiki Founder
The Superfighters Wiki
Join the Wiki!
Danger Ross wrote: What are you doing here wiki-slave?! GET BACK TO WORK!

Gurt
Lead Programmer
Lead Programmer

Post by Gurt » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:13 pm

0 x
Gurt

gwendalaze
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Jarate Yellow Belt
Started SFD: PreAlpha 1.1.4

Post by gwendalaze » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:54 pm

Would it be a possibility that, if somehow Sfd ever reach steam, to incorporate some functionnalities of the workshop?
0 x
- Gwendalaze, failing at being fun, just like this signature

jamisco
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Da God
SFD Account: Jamisco
SFD Alias: Jamisco
Started SFD: either late 2015 or early 2016

Post by jamisco » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:32 pm

First off let me start by saying, i didn't really know where to start this topic, the other forum indexes weren't specific enough.

Anyways, I'm asking if there is a way to create our own custom profile body parts and if so, how do wo get about doing it
0 x
Is it better to be feared or respected... please, is it too much to ask for both?

Wozenbelt
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: MASTER OF MOVEMENT
SFD Alias: (LM) Wozenbelt
Started SFD: Pre-Alpha 1.1.1

Post by Wozenbelt » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:51 am

there isnt
1 x
i got wozen fever

Gurt
Lead Programmer
Lead Programmer

Post by Gurt » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:09 am

And you will never be able to create your own custom profile body parts.
0 x
Gurt

Bad Clown
Fighter
Fighter
Title: Stupid Newb
SFD Account: Hearth
SFD Alias: I'm changing my name everyday
Started SFD: Pre-Alpha 1.6.2

Post by Bad Clown » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:24 pm

Hello.

Today I was creating some textures,and then "oh,why can't we edit the clothes?" if we can edit the weapons,we can edit the clothes,but actually,NOT.

That's quite sad...Because if we want a "dark goalie mask",we can't have it.

So,in next update I will hope this possibility.

Thanks.
3 x

Noble
Title: Modest guy
SFD Alias: Best player
Post by Noble » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:39 pm

It'll edit only how you see everyone's appearance in your screen, like a texture.

I don't approve this as a possibility, but I think more items will come soon. You can suggest a dark goalie mask if you want.
3 x
When I was 22 I read this book
And I swore
"I'll stay my way, I'll stay my way"

Pricey
Superfighter
Superfighter
SFD Alias: (LM) Pricey
Started SFD: August 2015

Post by Pricey » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:16 pm

Noble wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:39 pm
It'll edit only how you see everyone's appearance in your screen, like a texture.

I don't approve this as a possibility, but I think more items will come soon. You can suggest a dark goalie mask if you want.
If it's like a texture why not make it a texture, we can freely edit the textures of weapons so why is it a dilemma to do the same for clothes? If I want to make custom masks/clothes I'll look past the fact it may make other people's outfits look a bit wacky.
1 x

Tom Th3 Assasin
Superfighter
Superfighter
SFD Account: JakMike
Started SFD: 2017

Post by Tom Th3 Assasin » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:25 am

Noble wrote:

The goalie mask was just an example for what he means,if editing get in our hands there are almost 20-30 frames of the Fighter.and you have to edit all the 30 frames running-3,diving1,death motion-7,reload-5,aim-3,falling-2.for example the aviator hat editing in those frames.So can u do that,just leave it in the dev's hands
1 x
There is not a single thing that I can't do

https://imgur.com/a/Ybqji

Minion222
Fighter
Fighter
Title: Overly White Min
SFD Account: Minion222
SFD Alias: @Minion
Started SFD: Pre-Alpha 1.7.0
Post by Minion222 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:08 am

Tom Th3 Assasin wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:25 am
Noble wrote:

The goalie mask was just an example for what he means,if editing get in our hands there are almost 20-30 frames of the Fighter.and you have to edit all the 30 frames running-3,diving1,death motion-7,reload-5,aim-3,falling-2.for example the aviator hat editing in those frames.So can u do that,just leave it in the dev's hands
Yes, it would be a hastle but many people do this there are definetly some great spriters here that could do it i mean in higher quality games like a game called cosmoteer, if you want to mod in weapons then you'd need to make full animations and clothes editing here would be simpler than that since you would have something to work on allready, though the possibility isn't great it still would be possible.
0 x
Ight i guess this is my signature now

JakSparro98
Superfighter
Superfighter
Started SFD: PreAlpha 1.0.5

Post by JakSparro98 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:06 pm

First of all I want to thank @Shock and @Vitamin E for the precious help in making this thread as content-polished as possible.

The base idea behind this new kind of tile is to provide (albeit in a limited manner) a way to design a custom tile by means of an internal sprite editor window, here the details:
  • It has no collision, since it can be any shape;
  • Used in "foreground", "objects" and "background" layers;
  • Static tile by default;
  • Can be dragged by the corners to repeat the tile pattern;
  • Internal editor for sprite creation;
  • Ability to import images inside the sprite editor, the image pixel size has to be equal or inferior to the canvas size, the colors will be tweaked by the palette once the image is imported;
  • Limited canvas size;
  • Managed color palette, maybe with a little bit more of variety than the standard one we find on normal tiles.
Any constructive feedback is, as always, appreciated.
Feel free to discuss any addition or change you think this concept will benefit.

Thanks for your time.
3 x

KliPeH
Title: [happy moth noises]
SFD Account: KliPeH
Started SFD: Pre-Alpha 1.4.2

Post by KliPeH » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:47 pm

Off Topic
So since this topic is like a yearly reoccurrence I have merged all the existing threads that propose creating custom clothing/object editors all in one place for the convenience of everyone involved in the discussion. The devs were generally against the idea - as can be seen in a couple of merged replies (and the fact that one of these threads I merged was locked by Gurt himself) but let's give this idea one more chance and if @Gurt says no then this big thread can be locked once and for all.

See Mod notes on merged threads (posts written between merged threads belong to these specific [once-standalone] threads and were not submitted as general discussion regarding the subject).
1 x