Dear forum users! In compliance with the new European GDPR regulations, we'd just like to inform you that if you have an account, your email address is stored in our database. We do not share your information with third parties, and your email address and password are encrypted for security reasons.

New to the forum? Say hello in this topic! Also make sure to read the rules.

Old Melee was Better - Analysed Proof

Discuss everything to do with Superfighters Deluxe here that doesn't fit in other Superfighters Deluxe Forums!
Forum rules
By using the forum you agree to the following rules.
Mighty Spirit the 2
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Wasted potential
SFD Account: ake004
SFD Alias: Retired SFD player
Started SFD: When melee was good

Re: Old Melee was Better - Analysed Proof

Post by Mighty Spirit the 2 » Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:21 pm

@Odex64 Thank you for taking your time to actually explain your thoughts, unlike most people on here that can't tell their opinion with more then a single sentence, and not actually explain how or why they think that.

There's only a small thing i'd comment on:
Odex64 wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:56 pm
and there's less chance from being obliterated by try-hards
If you truly believe that, then you really haven't played the game enough. It is so easy to get spammed to death by someone today, it's sad.
0 x
🎶I will tell your story if you die
I will tell your story and keep you alive the best i can
But I've always had the feeling we would die young
Some die young
🎵
https://i.imgur.com/D479VLi.png

Relgap
Fighter
Fighter
SFD Alias: (LM) Relgap
Started SFD: 1000 bc

Post by Relgap » Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:49 pm

crazy nice, you found the hidden text
3 x

RiD
Fighter
Fighter
SFD Account: Calceta de Elían
SFD Alias: deElían
Started SFD: PreAlpha 1.8.5

Post by RiD » Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:48 am

Nobody asked me, but:
I remember when I started playing SFD in very old versions, there were a lot of good players and my strategy was to shoot and run. The game I remember the most so far was when I was playing with very good people at melee, I played for a few hours in that game and although I didn't win any I had a lot of fun, after many attempts I finally managed to win a game, it was such a pleasant moment that years later I still remember.
I loved the freedom in the movements that I did in the previous versions, I even used a whole day to try to invent a movement of my own in the PreAlpha tutorial room, maybe someone else discovered it first, but personally I consider myself the creator of the movement "Dive combo with a wall". Before I loved the game so much that I still keep an SFD Setup PreAlpha 1.8.8.exe saved on my computer
After the changes to the melee system I kept trying to move like I used to in previous versions, but I just can't do what I could do before.
I find the change to the game frustrating and the opinions they put to defend that change, if you are bad at melee and lose yourself annoyed, practice or invent a way to play that you enjoy even if you lose. (Or just don't play the game)
There are games that do not care that you are new to the game, they do not chew everything on you so you just have to swallow it, to name a well-known example: Fortnite.
Personally, I think SFD went from being a game with a lot of freedom of movement to a game that limits your game modes with rough and slow movements, forcing you to act like a bot.
[Translated from Google]
1 x

Mighty Spirit the 2
Superfighter
Superfighter

Post by Mighty Spirit the 2 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:00 pm

Wow we might have a lot in common @RiD
I too used to play run and gunning (probably like every single new player), until i finally learned to hold my own in melee. That act itself was so rewarding, not having to run anymore, to be able to read your opponent and dominate in a fight.
RiD wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:48 am
I remember when I started playing SFD in very old versions, there were a lot of good players and my strategy was to shoot and run. The game I remember the most so far was when I was playing with very good people at melee, I played for a few hours in that game and although I didn't win any I had a lot of fun, after many attempts I finally managed to win a game, it was such a pleasant moment that years later I still remember.
I loved the freedom in the movements that I did in the previous versions
That's exactly the same for me, i enjoyed the game tremendously even thought i never won, melee itself was the most fun aspect of the game even thought i kept getting rekt at it. It just made me want to get better. I too have memories i will never forget when i finally beat someone leagues better then me. I also still have the original "Alpha 1.3.4c.exe" installer file on my laptop (my first version of SFD).

Mythologic... you do realize that people will get tired of playing only custom maps and casual 24/7, right? I got tired of it after 2 months.
Then i joined Blurry's and i got sucked into a whole other world with people were god-like at melee and i simply got addicted to competitive. That itself kept me playing the game. The online play feature made me never get tired of it i played for 1.5 years without break and i would have played much more if you hadn't done poor decisions to the game. I should mention that even back then the game wasn't balanced at all, but people that were incredibly good at the game still had a consistency in skill and wins, something you just don't see today in russian roulette chaos. People will get tired of chaos eventually, what they want is balance (look at the complaints on drones, shuriken, shock baton).
RiD wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:48 am
Personally, I think SFD went from being a game with a lot of freedom of movement to a game that limits your game modes with rough and slow movements, forcing you to act like a bot.
Yeah, the melee change severely limited our defensive options and mobility (especially with ping, lmao), you will end up in situations were you can do nothing at all and it's frustrating. You're trying to prevent something from happening, but you are so limited in defensive options that it ends up happening either way. - Thanks Mytholic. ;)
If you wanted to close the gap between a New Player and someone who has played the game day and night for 3+ years... this is not the way to do it. One "simple fix" alternative could have been to make a game mode which is a fusing of competitive and casual, a server hosting officials and having a respawn option. Like stocks in Super Smash Bros. I'm just guessing here, but that way you didn't have to fear any New Players ragequitting the game and refunding it immediately, if that's what you did. In this small hub between casual and competitive weaker players could build up their skill, strength and experience, and when feeling ready they could join the real competitive server with only 1 life and waiting time (if they weren't ready they could always go back). Also Kill/Death ration when? Surely it wouldn't have been difficult to do?
1 x
Some die young
🎵

Ab Hab
Fighter
Fighter
SFD Account: Ab Hab
Started SFD: The year NBA 2K14 came out

Post by Ab Hab » Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:16 am

Kill:Death ratio might be hard to do. If a noob sees a melee pro come running at him, and starts running the other way to step on a mine placed by a camper, who killed the noob? The noob wouldn't have stepped on the mine if not for the pro, and the noob wouldn't have died if the camper didn't put down the mine. They both kinda killed him.
0 x

Mighty Spirit the 2
Superfighter
Superfighter

Post by Mighty Spirit the 2 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:20 pm

Ab Hab wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:16 am
Kill:Death ratio might be hard to do. If a noob sees a melee pro come running at him, and starts running the other way to step on a mine placed by a camper, who killed the noob? The noob wouldn't have stepped on the mine if not for the pro, and the noob wouldn't have died if the camper didn't put down the mine. They both kinda killed him.
I've seen this type of discussion before and personally i always thought when it comes to explosives like mines and grenades, then the person who gets the kill should be the last one touching it, like me kicking a mine or grenade into someone, then it would be my kill. If you die in the process then both get registered a death and not a kill. If you kick someone into a explosive barrel it was your kick, so you got the point. When it comes to shooting explosives, i don't know if the game could track that, so that should just register as a death for the victim.
Same can be said about someone who decides to jump off a cliff to prevent someone else from getting a kill. Then that would be registered as death for the jumper.
Not sure how they did it with this WIP script: [Requests] Finish my Tournament Script , but i'm waiting for it to get done.
0 x
Some die young
🎵