Dear forum users! In compliance with the new European GDPR regulations, we'd just like to inform you that if you have an account, your email address is stored in our database. We do not share your information with third parties, and your email address and password are encrypted for security reasons.

New to the forum? Say hello in this topic! Also make sure to read the rules.

Superfighters Deluxe 1.3.3 is out!

Status updates from MythoLogic Interactive about the game progress.
Forum rules
By using the forum you agree to the following rules.
Hjarpe
Lead Designer
Lead Designer
Started SFD: The grey dawn of time

Superfighters Deluxe 1.3.3 is out!

Post by Hjarpe » Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:58 pm

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

* New Versus map: Old Warehouse.
* New Challenge: Return to Castle Sonnenfreude.
* Bots can now seek cover while shooting.
* Streetsweepers now have nameplates and team icons.
* Slightly lowered Streetsweeper spawn chance.

ScriptAPI:
* Added BotBehaviorSet.SeekCoverWhileShooting to control how likely a bot will take cover while shooting.
* Added IObjectStreetsweeper.SetShowNamePlate(), GetShowNamePlate() to determine if name plates should be visible or not (default true).
* Added IObjectStreetsweeperCrate.GetRandomWeapon(), SetRandomWeapon() to control if a spawned Streetsweeper should randomize its weapon.
* Now possible to set weapon type to "None" for Streetsweepers (map editor and code) (Added StreetsweeperWeaponType.None).
9 x
Quinterball: Vigorously shaking a tile while rapidly tapping CTRL causes the selected tile to randomly flash red.
MythoLogic Interactive: By design.

Shock
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Content-maker
SFD Account: Shock
Started SFD: Pre-Alpha 1.2.0.

Post by Shock » Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:01 pm

Yea, finally! Been waiting. Will there also be some new tiles in next updates? Like Background or far backgroun?
0 x
-Content-maker.

Hjarpe
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Post by Hjarpe » Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:33 pm

Shock wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:01 pm
Yea, finally! Been waiting. Will there also be some new tiles in next updates? Like Background or far backgroun?
We currently have no plans for future content. We both want to focus on other projects for a while. But we'll see!
1 x
Quinterball: Vigorously shaking a tile while rapidly tapping CTRL causes the selected tile to randomly flash red.

KliPeH
Title: [happy moth noises]
SFD Account: KliPeH
Started SFD: Pre-Alpha 1.4.2

Post by KliPeH » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:29 pm

Hjarpe wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:33 pm
We currently have no plans for future content. We both want to focus on other projects for a while. But we'll see!
That's disappointing. Bots still need to learn how to deal with thrown weapons and equipment. I don't want to turn the 4th-slot items off in my games entirely because they give you a tactical advantage and allow for some interesting plays, and also require a certain amount of skill to use; but, I also don't want to win games because I cheese bots with mines and C4.

Bots are what keeps the game alive for me. The userbase has already dwindled to a point where a regular player may never be able to find a stable server that isn't Blurry's or Mulefire's. I think working on this should have been top priority from the get-go to ensure the game doesn't die less than a year after it has been released. Bots can already calculate the trajectory of bow and grenade launcher projectiles, and you made them hipfire, take cover and ride rockets when necessary; all of these were stretch goals turned into reality.

Please don't give up yet, some features crucial to the game's well-being still aren't in it yet.
3 x

Hjarpe
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Post by Hjarpe » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:35 pm

You weren't able to equip the
► Show Spoiler
item if your character was female - a hotfix has been released for this.
3 x

Mighty Spirit the 2
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Wasted potential
SFD Account: ake004
SFD Alias: Retired SFD player
Started SFD: When melee was good

Post by Mighty Spirit the 2 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:53 pm

Since the new skin has already been spoiled, i just want to say: The Gods have answered my prayers!
Less then 3 weeks and my suggestions been added. Nice work! I'm taking that as a sign to go right ahead and suggest some more :D

PS: Are you guys sure the Streetsweeper chances where lowered? They literary spawned for 5 rounds in a row on Mulefires, i was just playing on. One drone crate even spawned into me as i was diving and killed me!
0 x
🎶I will tell your story if you die
I will tell your story and keep you alive the best i can
But I've always had the feeling we would die young
Some die young
🎵
https://i.imgur.com/D479VLi.png

Cool Hero
Fighter
Fighter
Title: CH
Started SFD: "Pre-alpha 1.3.0 "

Post by Cool Hero » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:38 am

Wow you added that map again!? I'm glad!!!
HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!
0 x
Just play!

Sh4d0w
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: the xD guy
SFD Alias: too many aliases
Started SFD: before sfd

Post by Sh4d0w » Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:18 am

I'm really glad that we can somewhat see to which team does a streetsweeper belong to, however I think that @Danger Ross made a better idea with color coding the streetsweepers, as it would be, at least in my opinion, less confusing.
2 x

Shock
Superfighter
Superfighter

Post by Shock » Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:00 pm

I would like to add some... I found searchlight gradient, i hope there will be any hotfix, can't wait to see it ingame...

0 x
-Content-maker.

Hjarpe
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Post by Hjarpe » Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:03 pm

We hear your feedback, and take your point.

The thing is, you can only work on one thing for so long. We haven't really talked about burnout, stress, anxiety and so forth, but we are susceptible to those things like all devs. During the last few years, the act of working on the game has been extremely difficult, and that's putting it mildly. Not that we don't still have faith in the game, it's just simple burnout due to overscoping. We will probably write an epic postmortem about our SFD journey some day, but it'll have to wait because there are honestly parts of it I don't want to think about right now.

Gurt and I are privileged in that we have dayjobs that let us live comfortably and have enough free time to be able to make a game of this scale. But to make a passion project you need a lot of passion, and SFD was definitely wayyy to ambitious for the passion to last us all the way through. Eventually it fizzles out, and to be honest, we were sort of running on fumes for the last 3 years or so. What kept us going was mainly a strong sense of duty (to the fans, each other, and ourselves), stubbornness, and wanting to deliver what was promised/expected to a decent standard of quality. Of course, this sense of responsibility only went up when we started taking money for the game. We wanted to deliver more, but now it's reached a point where forcing ourselves to go on as before would probably be seriously ruinous to our health.

We don't want to be among the devs who make grand promises and then don't deliver. If you go back and read our statements through the years, you will see that we are very careful about never promising something we're not 100% sure we can deliver. SFD in its current state may not seem done to you, it may fall short of your expectations. But if you look at what we've actually promised through the years, it's gone quite a bit beyond that... so comments to the effect that we are "abandoning" the game are kinda ridiculous, but kinda hurtful nonetheless.

Anyhoo, we're crazy enough not to stop completely. We still plan to bring SFD to other platforms besides Steam to grow the playerbase, Gurt still has some bot features he thinks he can feasibly make, and I'm not ruling out the possibility of more maps and items in future, after I've had a proper break and the chance to wrap up my current passion project. To be clear: we're not at all tired of making games, just of making the same game for 8 fucking years.

This has been a bit of a ramble, but I hope it made some sense. I wanted to explain our mental state a bit, to set the expectations for future updates.

TL;DR: We love and care about SFD, but we're really, really tired of working on it. :lol:
10 x

Shock
Superfighter
Superfighter

Post by Shock » Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:56 pm

Actually i understand Devs, when you making maps everyday like me, you may feel overpowered a lot. Or if you create your game from scratch - it's a huge effort. And even more harder if you're working on one game for 8 years, which may start to annoy you. The only thing i still can't understand, is that we don't have anything besides items and maps/bot improvements in new updates... And i don't mean any difficult additions to game, at least some new tiles which will change gameplay a bit. Like ice, snowballs or icicles, idk... You guys need some rest if you're really tired a lot and im not trying to justify someone or make hurt for someone, because who am i? Im nothing... Just a player, this is only my opinion.
3 x
-Content-maker.

Del Poncho
Superfighter
Superfighter
Started SFD: July 2012 (1.0.5)

Post by Del Poncho » Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:54 pm

Hjarpe wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:03 pm
TL;DR: We love and care about SFD, but we're really, really tired of working on it. :lol:
It's perfectly understandable.
And for what it's worth, I think you've done an excellent job at delivering the game.

It sucks to hear that you've not loved it in the last years as much as you did in the beginning, but I'm happy to know that you've managed to "endure", to bring these results.
Sure, many players, like me, have played less and less in the last months, but that's not a sign that things got bad at some point. A game can't last forever, and it's incredible that an indie game, developed by 2 guys in their spare time, has lasted this long.

I mean, I've played possibly hundreds of different games, from big to small, but none of them has kept me this entertained and passionate for almost 8 years. And as much as I don't like cheesy quotes, part of the journey is the end.
I haven't played my last match yet, but at some point I will. It's just natural. But I'll always have fond memories of this game and it's community.
And whether you guys want to keep working on this in the future, or just jump onto your next projects, fuck it, it's been a great journey.
5 x
The risk I took was caluclated, but man.....am I bad at math.

Noble
Title: Modest guy
SFD Alias: Best player
Post by Noble » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:02 pm

To be completely honest, I was wishing that the devs would move on and start making a new game since long ago, and it is a pity (but satisfying for all of us players) that Hjarpe needed to make this big post to explain us this.
I'm supporting this new game completely, and I already know y'all not only didn't really give up on SFD but are still willing to update it and listen to our suggestions anyways, even if it is just sometimes. For me that's even way more than enough! Yet you guys are doing that for us!

What Rick Avory said in another topic is true, most people get overwhelmed by the number of commands, I've seen some videos and reviews around the internet where people criticized that about the game. Well, for me this game is perfect regarding its controls, and I thought they were lazy about learning it, but I guess we all that are united here have some prowess at the keyboard, or something, uh.

SFD turned up being a really cool, complex and high-potential competitive game (and a lot of people love this, like me!), it's an amazing game! And shouldn't be sold as a casual simple funny game to play with your friends (as it seems like). I've been posting and warning about this for some time but it is just natural that not all my suggestions were taken into account. It's a hard game for most people, but there are so many people interested in this. It kept being updated to look more and more casual and chaotic.
As this became a paid game on Steam and lost the majority of its servers and players, it died out quite a bit for us. Some say they would play the game just for fun, or that they prefer to play with bots, but I really think what they are trying to find in this game is it to be challenging in any way. For that reason, players like KliPeH and others found a challenging and fun game when playing against the bots, which right now are a bit dumb about some stuff and that's disappointing for them.

Welp, you guys should look forward, we are next getting a new incredible game by even more experienced developers
4 x
When I was 22 I read this book
And I swore
"I'll stay my way, I'll stay my way"

Shock
Superfighter
Superfighter

Post by Shock » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:16 pm

Del Poncho wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:54 pm
I mean, I've played possibly hundreds of different games, from big to small, but none of them has kept me this entertained and passionate for almost 8 years. And as much as I don't like cheesy quotes, part of the journey is the end.
I haven't played my last match yet, but at some point I will. It's just natural. But I'll always have fond memories of this game and it's community.
And whether you guys want to keep working on this in the future, or just jump onto your next projects, fuck it, it's been a great journey.
Damn, i agree. Just will be playing their next games! :D
2 x
-Content-maker.