Dear forum users! In compliance with the new European GDPR regulations, we'd just like to inform you that if you have an account, your email address is stored in our database. We do not share your information with third parties, and your email address and password are encrypted for security reasons.

New to the forum? Say hello in this topic! Also make sure to read the rules.

[Help] Steam isnt letting me install or run SFD

Having trouble running SFD? This is the place to get help and report errors.
Forum rules
By using the forum you agree to the following rules. For this forum you also need to follow these additional rules.
jlo
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: hey
SFD Account: jlo
Started SFD: March 2017

[Help] Steam isnt letting me install or run SFD

Post by jlo » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:37 pm

Alright so, the game has been working for 2 years solid, even back in the alpha and beta it was fine. I won a giveaway on the game and yeah I played it like every week. Now due to my windows updating while I have a ultraxthemepatcher which means it patches your windows 10 allowing you to have themes like equlizer on your desktop and stuff. apparently my windows 10 updated which isn't supposed to happen but okay and I had to reset my computer but I chose to keep my files. After re-downloading all the xna, directx etc etc stuff. I installed the game and what's strange is this just happens.
Now I don't know what to do, I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling it. I've tried deleting all the SFD files such as the documents etc. Nothing works.
It just says that every time and then when I click play and it installs. It just deletes the Superfighters Deluxe.exe in the directory and the game isn't launchable. I told my friend to give me his superfighters deluxe.exe but that didn't work.

Idk if it's my PC cause I've ran sfd successfully for like 3 years. No idea what's happening.
0 x
<Aspect> Vapsiz#8861

Pricey
Superfighter
Superfighter
SFD Alias: (LM) Pricey
Started SFD: August 2015

Post by Pricey » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:15 pm

If something has happened during an installation of what seems to be a Windows 10 mod that wasn't supposed to happen, and now your SFD isn't working (presumably due to said mod), then I'm afraid this is beyond what we can help you with. You'll probably have better luck searching the appropriate forums for the mod that you downloaded.
0 x

Gurt
Lead Programmer
Lead Programmer
Title: Lead programmer
Started SFD: Made it!

Post by Gurt » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:04 pm

It sounds like windows defender or some of your anti-virus is removing the SFD.exe file during installation (when the file is written to disk).
Windows Defender and Anti-Virus programs can scan files as they are written OR when they are executed (or both). You could try to temporarily pause programs you think is the cause for this and then re-download SFD (verify game integrity in Steam) and run the game.
0 x
Gurt

KliPeH
Title: [happy moth noises]
SFD Account: KliPeH
Started SFD: Pre-Alpha 1.4.2

Post by KliPeH » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:22 pm

Gurt wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:04 pm
It sounds like windows defender or some of your anti-virus is removing the SFD.exe file during installation (when the file is written to disk).
Windows Defender and Anti-Virus programs can scan files as they are written OR when they are executed (or both). You could try to temporarily pause programs you think is the cause for this and then re-download SFD (verify game integrity in Steam) and run the game.
To add to this, Avast! used to remove my game executables from time to time, so make sure that's not your perpetrator.

Are you getting any errors or prompts when the file is deleted? Otherwise how can you tell it's being removed? On a slightly unrelated note, I was under the impression Windows 10 came with all the NET/XNA Framework stuff pre-installed. Why would you need to redownload that?
0 x