Dear forum users! In compliance with the new European GDPR regulations, we'd just like to inform you that if you have an account, your email address is stored in our database. We do not share your information with third parties, and your email address and password are encrypted for security reasons.

New to the forum? Say hello in this topic! Also make sure to read the rules.

Joining a server starting on the versus map “Helipad” causes the Joining player to lose connection.

Here you can find all solved gameplay problems and bugs (beginning from Pre-Alpha 1.8.8).
Forum rules
By using the forum you agree to the following rules. For this forum you also need to follow these additional rules.
RickAvory
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Sunny City Nationalist
SFD Account: Rick Avory
SFD Alias: (EA) Rick Avory
Started SFD: Sep 2016

Joining a server starting on the versus map “Helipad” causes the Joining player to lose connection.

Post by RickAvory » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:57 pm

I have noticed there is a strong correlation that when a server is on the map “Helipad”, those trying to join while we are playing on the map will “lose connection”. I have seen this happen on multiple occasions.

I have screenshots as proof that I will soon upload whenever I recover my imgur account.

Here are some of the screenshots. The first one you can see that multiple people lost connection. Unfortunately I wasn't quick enough to Screenshot before the map changed, but you are able to see they lost connection before the map changed. The second is pretty straight forward. The player had been bugging out and had lost connection whilst other players and I were playing on "Helipad". Finally, I myself have experienced the bugs of joining Helipad. Try joining a server that already is currently on the map Helipad. You will see that the map appears half rendered, glitchy, and you hear an assortment of glitchy sounds and music. Unfortunately, I was unable to get a screenshot or a video here because it was effecting my computer too much. Hopefully this can get looked into.
3 x
We must root out the impurities in our midst

Gurt
Lead Programmer
Lead Programmer
Title: Lead programmer
Started SFD: Made it!

Post by Gurt » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:48 pm

Thanks for reporting. We're looking into optimizing various bits of the data traffic generated in the game, how it's generated and the map itself to help servers and players with lower bandwidth connections be able to finish loading. The Helipad map is generating lots of extra data post-loading which can be improved. We also need to do this for other reasons so it's a good time looking into this now.
3 x
Gurt

Splinter
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Grenade chef
Started SFD: 1.1.6
Post by Splinter » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:19 pm

What happened to me was that I tried to join a server which was on Helipad, the iris wipe opened up just a bit and then it froze. I could hear some sounds after a while, but I just had to force the game to shutdown. This happened twice to me.
1 x
Hold your breath.

Gurt
Lead Programmer
Lead Programmer
Title: Lead programmer
Started SFD: Made it!

Post by Gurt » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:39 pm

Fixed after v.1.1.2.
It turns out that the Helipad map suffered from many different problems (ranging from the game logic and to the map itself) stacking up causing the game to most likely freeze when trying to join a game in progress running the Helipad map (as the box2D engine tried to resolve some complex constructed joints with the helicopter). We have optimized parts of the loading sequence and how data is generated and synced for properties on all objects to combat most of the problem the Helipad map suffered from. We have also made tweaks to the map itself to solve the last problems and joining the map after v.1.1.2 works as intended.
As a bonus the data during loading is reduced with about 25 % on official maps (meassured on a few official maps before and after all changes). Looks good!
4 x
Gurt