Dear forum users! In compliance with the new European GDPR regulations, we'd just like to inform you that if you have an account, your email address is stored in our database. We do not share your information with third parties, and your email address and password are encrypted for security reasons.

New to the forum? Say hello in this topic! Also make sure to read the rules.

4 Player Local?

Give us your input on how we may improve the game in future versions.
Forum rules
By using the forum you agree to the following rules. For this forum you also need to follow these additional rules.
ratt
Meatbag

4 Player Local?

Post by ratt » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:46 am

Hey. I've been following the development of this game on and off for quite some time. Other than the fun, tactical gameplay (which is excellent btw), one of the things that drew me to keep track was the planned Local Multiplayer support. As the game is single screen, very dynamic, with the possibility for future controller support, I thought that this would make a great addition to the genre of 4 player local multiplayer fighters.

Unfortunately, I have come back to this game for the first time in a year or so, to discover that this is not the case. According to this post, the local multiplayer support planned is for 2 players only.
Local multiplayer - two players will be able to play on the same machine using keyboard and/or gamepads.
Why 4 Player Local Multiplayer should be considered
  • There is a good market for this type of game, and a 4 player local mode would entice many more people to buy SFD.
  • 4 player local could greatly increase the publicity of this game, there are many popular YouTube content creators who specialize in playing group local multiplayer games.
  • The game seems well set up for this type of mode, with all players in view by default.
  • Something that was brought up as an issue before was the problem of multiple inputs. This seems to no longer be an issue, now that SFD has gamepad support.
  • I personally know people who would buy the game just for this feature.
I don't know why this isn't already planned, maybe there are technical issues. But it's definitely something that I think would enrich the game, and I'd like to know if this would ever be a consideration for the future.
4 x

Powerbombs
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: four dimensional lasagna
SFD Account: Powerbombs
SFD Alias: powerbomb, bomberman
Started SFD: pre alpha 1.2

Post by Powerbombs » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:39 am

I think the maximum amount of players locally should be 8, not 4, because it reminds me of SSB4 (don't challenge me I'm horrible at for glory) and Gang Beasts. However, I don't think allowing 2 players in the same room to go online together on the same console/ computer is a good idea because it would allow them the opportunity to just team up, even in Free For All battles. Then again, people team up all the time even though they aren't in the same room, so I guess it wouldn't matter that much. I'm excited if the game expands to PS4 and XBOX as I also personally know some people that only play on console, but have said they'll buy the game if it comes out and play it through console. Though if this happens, will PC players be able to play with console players, or would it be too much of a disadvantage? I guess that depends on the player's skill.
0 x
#RemoveFlamethrower

MOOADAM
Superfighter
Superfighter
SFD Account: MOOADAM
SFD Alias: General Bird or MOOADAM
Post by MOOADAM » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:49 pm

there is no way 4 different people can play on the same computer dude. 2 yes but 4 different people, is there even enough buttons for that and it not to be awkward with people getting their hands fumbled and stuff???
0 x

MOOADAM
Superfighter
Superfighter
SFD Account: MOOADAM
SFD Alias: General Bird or MOOADAM
Post by MOOADAM » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:10 pm

Oreo wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:01 pm
MOOADAM wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:49 pm
there is no way 4 different people can play on the same computer dude. 2 yes but 4 different people, is there even enough buttons for that and it not to be awkward with people getting their hands fumbled and stuff???
Lol, dude gamepads are basically controllers. Like the same you would use on an Xbox one for example, so you wouldn't be playing all in a keyboard.
HOW LONG HAS THIS EXISTED!?
0 x

Gurt
Lead Programmer
Lead Programmer
Title: Lead programmer
Started SFD: Made it!

Post by Gurt » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:33 pm

Here's a clarification:
SFD will support local multiplayer.
Up to 2 local players will be able to play online and create online games.
Up to 8 local players can play offline on the same computer (if you can configure it and have the right types of controllers).

There are some quirks in order to get 3-8 local players up and running in SFD.

Updating the keybinding for players 5 to 8 can only be done by manually updating the config.ini file for SFD as of now. Player 1 to 4 can be done using the keybinding setting panel. SFD will provide default keybindings for player 1, 2, 3 and 4 out-of-the-box if you have XBox controllers.

Another quirk is the input framework we use support up to a total of 4 XBox controllers plus and additional 4 DirectInput controllers (a total of 8 controllers). If you have 5 or more XBox controllers you can only use 4 of them and after that you need 4 additional DirectInput controllers. We haven't tested this to the full extent as we don't have this many controllers laying around.

While we do support up to 8 local players offline it will probably be a rare situation as you need a lot friends at your place that wants to play SFD and you need to configure all the controllers. You also need to run SFD in its widest supported aspect-ration (widescreen) to get enough screen-space for all the GUI for 8 local players.

It's much easier to just plug in a few XBox controllers and play up to 4 local players offline with the provided default keybindings.
4 x
Gurt

Artifex
Fighter
Fighter
Title: i kick ass and chew gum daily
Started SFD: year before old forums closed
Post by Artifex » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:56 am

What resolution would be needed for 4 local players?
Also, can player 1 play on keyboard while the other 4 or three play on controllers?
0 x
Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn.

RickAvory
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Sunny City Nationalist
SFD Account: Rick Avory
SFD Alias: (EA) Rick Avory
Started SFD: Sep 2016

Post by RickAvory » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:04 am

Artifex wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:56 am
Also, can player 1 play on keyboard while the other 4 or three play on controllers?
Only 4 players can play at once. And yes, you can do 3 controller and 1 keyboard. Infact, you can do two people on one keyboard. @Noble made a setup where he was able to play as two characters at once on the keyboard (playing with one hand each).

As for resolution, I’m not really sure what you are refering to. The game resolution? If so it really shouldn’t matter what resolution you are at.
1 x
We must root out the impurities in our midst

Gurt
Lead Programmer
Lead Programmer
Title: Lead programmer
Started SFD: Made it!

Post by Gurt » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:03 pm

Artifex wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:56 am
All local players share the same screen (no split screen in SFD). So you can have 1024x768 or something like that and still play it.
It's up to you if you want 1 player on the keyboard and 3 others using controllers. Or all 4 using controllers.
A keyboard will be required occasionally if you want to use the chat for example or while setting up the controllers.
0 x
Gurt