Dear forum users! In compliance with the new European GDPR regulations, we'd just like to inform you that if you have an account, your email address is stored in our database. We do not share your information with third parties, and your email address and password are encrypted for security reasons.

New to the forum? Say hello in this topic! Also make sure to read the rules.

Anti runner mesurements

Give us your input on how we may improve the game in future versions.
Forum rules
By using the forum you agree to the following rules. For this forum you also need to follow these additional rules.
Minion222
Fighter
Fighter
Title: Overly White Min
SFD Account: Minion222
SFD Alias: @Minion
Started SFD: Pre-Alpha 1.7.0
Anti runner mesurements

Post by Minion222 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:43 am

We all have once been a runner and we all have called out others for running.

This toipic here: https://www.mythologicinteractiveforums ... ?f=8&t=245 Has some great insight on this topic.

So we really do need a counter to running that is still less affecting to non runners and that if needed can be switched off with a cheat.

My idea would be a less powerful stamina regen each time you fully run out of it, so say i’m running and my stamina gets fairly low then i should rest to regen but then my opponent could catch me if not he could just wait, he’d just run after me but not sprint he wouldn’t loose stamina and i would slowly be loosing my stamina regen so i would need to wait more to then get regenned, but the fact that it would be irreversible is not a good idea I would suggest another bar showing X stages, which then translate to the ammount of heath regen loss you get. The bar would be able to be filled back up if the player is standing, taking cover or just crouching, but if the player is shooting punching or doing any other movement it does not regen.

This addition would surely help with the running problem while not severely damaging the non runner players.
0 x
Ight i guess this is my signature now

piterskiy
Superfighter
Superfighter
SFD Account: PiterskiyReal
Started SFD: PreAlpha 1.4.X

Post by piterskiy » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:40 am

before making topics about running, you must think "why do people run away? oh, becouse they are fucking noobs, gotta go make a topic about anti-running, becouse i want to new player suffer even more".
so, no.
1 x

KliPeH
Title: [happy moth noises]
SFD Account: KliPeH
Started SFD: Pre-Alpha 1.4.2

Post by KliPeH » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:40 am

Minion222 wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:43 am
This toipic here: https://www.mythologicinteractiveforums ... ?f=8&t=245 Has some great insight on this topic.

So we really do need a counter to running [...]
Lunatic's main argument was that all tactics are valid and calling people out on their playstyle is pointless and immature. Putting these choices under names like "running" and "camping" is what "scrubs" do and the entire thread goes against that notion. It does point out some flaws in the game's systems but the point itself is that using titles like "runner" and enforcing special rules upon these playstyles is somewhat ignorant.

Basically what you're saying is the exact thing the thread you linked to says not to do - that is generalizing all those who retreat from battle as "runners". I mean, don't use the term if you're going to use that thread as an example because you're being that "scrub" yourself.
3 x

Del Poncho
Superfighter
Superfighter
Started SFD: July 2012 (1.0.5)

Post by Del Poncho » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:04 pm

I have never really had problems with runners, to be honest. In the end, it's just a challenge to "who's best at moving around and vaulting over objects".
With the introduction of throwable objects, it has become even easier to just stop someone by throwing at him any random bottle you find around (or just make him believe you're about to throw it, to make him stop to block it).

Anyway, in the same way a guy with a katana can shorten the distance to get in a favorable position for his equipment, a guy with a gun should be able to lenghten this distance to get to a vantage point, at about the same difficulty.
2 x
The risk I took was caluclated, but man.....am I bad at math.

Noble
Title: Modest guy
SFD Alias: Best player
Post by Noble » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:04 pm

Well, honestly, I think the game goes a lot well if you're moving in the map and making the game dynamic instead of "camping", I'm pretty sure it also raises your chance of winning, more than if you just hide or wait for your opponent to move first. You do tend to get more weapons if you spend them more. For those "camping", I don't think there's not a way to kill them, it's always easy to penetrate a space and make an opponent that once was static to be in the position you want to then be up to you or him to kill each other quickly and closely. For every occasion, there are grenades, molotovs, mines and c4. If even those aren't enough, you can make use of the dash/zoom (barrel jump) mechanism, you can just break the opponent's cover in some way or throw stuff on him, and these are just the most obvious ways to do so.

Now "running", the issue of this topic after all, I talked about camping because I don't even see "run" as a problem, I really can't understand why people is bothered by this, so I thought you could have mispelled. Are you running toward an armed opponent? Or maybe you are trying to hit him but keep missing and finding yourself in kneel? I'm sure your opponent could do anything, but not keep fighting a battle that he 'already lost'. He wouldn't stay in a place where he hasn't any winning perspective. Running away and search for supply crates while praying for there to be HP or a gun is just common sense, the 'runner measurements" are not to let your opponents run away and kill him before, nothing less or more than this.

So yeah, there are not "runner problems" in the game.
0 x
When I was 22 I read this book
And I swore
"I'll stay my way, I'll stay my way"

Vitamin E
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Completely Neutral
Started SFD: around 2012
Post by Vitamin E » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:00 am

The easiest way to prevent “runners” is to have better maps. Most of the official maps have long expanses of flat terrain which often make it difficult to catch up to whoever you’re chasing after. There’s often only one or two ways to get to an area which makes getting around very slow. If maps had more different ways to go and short-cut paths to catch up to someone, then it would not be so bad.
5 x

Elite Hunter
Fighter
Fighter

Post by Elite Hunter » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:34 am

If only we had guns or things to throw to stop them.
0 x

Sree
Superfighter
Superfighter
SFD Account: phasmic
SFD Alias: sree

Post by Sree » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:16 pm

Nerfing sprint or energy or anything that is associated with sprinting isn't going this fix issues like these. You should be aware that when you chase a person who is attempting to run away from you, You are consuming energy as well. Any nerf on energy or stamina will affect both the runner and the one chasing.

The way to counter is running is simply not chasing them. If you are gonna be naive and chase them, that's when they can easily manipulate you. If you play on official maps or any custom maps with regular gun spawns, Then you would usually have a ranged weapon mid to late game, which you can switch to and eliminate the players attempting to run away from the fight. but if you are referring melee maps, I will agree that running is annoying but the devs still can't account for that.
Vitamin E wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:00 am
Most of the official maps have long expanses of flat terrain which often make it difficult to catch up to whoever you’re chasing after. There’s often only one or two ways to get to an area which makes getting around very slow. If maps had more different ways to go and short-cut paths to catch up to someone, then it would not be so bad.
Wrong. when the terrain is flat, It's much easier to kill players trying to run away, since there wont be anything interrupting your shots. however when the map is not linear, It only becomes more lenient towards the opponent. chasing an enemy player with a melee weapon works on neither cases, even if the map is not linear, all the obstacles that interrupt the player running will also interrupt you, all the short-cuts you can take, he can too.
0 x

Minion222
Fighter
Fighter
Title: Overly White Min
SFD Account: Minion222
SFD Alias: @Minion
Started SFD: Pre-Alpha 1.7.0
Post by Minion222 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:41 am

I’d like to clarify that I don’t really have problems with runners nor do i think this is abgood idea i was a bit battered while writing it and don’t know what came to my head i definetly wouldn’t wanna make it harder for new players and the link I don’t know what that was about well snyways sorry for this i barelly remember writing this. :?
1 x
Ight i guess this is my signature now