Dear forum users! In compliance with the new European GDPR regulations, we'd just like to inform you that if you have an account, your email address is stored in our database. We do not share your information with third parties, and your email address and password are encrypted for security reasons.

New to the forum? Say hello in this topic! Also make sure to read the rules.

Map Editor Suggestions

Give us your input on how we may improve the game in future versions.
Forum rules
By using the forum you agree to the following rules. For this forum you also need to follow these additional rules.
MOOADAM
Superfighter
Superfighter
SFD Account: MOOADAM
SFD Alias: General Bird or MOOADAM
Re: Map Editor Suggestions

Post by MOOADAM » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:38 am

Gurt wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:23 pm
MOOADAM wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:34 pm
how about just making the map editor simpler in the first place, (i assume that's hard to do but I'm just saying) because i think any random person should be able to create a map, but hey the game isn't about map making its about superfighting.
Do you have any specific designs in mind that will make the editor much simpler to use?
In it's core you only need to drag in tiles from the right list into the workspace and you have a map to play.
Last time i checked it (which was about a year ago) i spent like 20 minutes trying to do stuff and place mess but couldn't figure it out. So it was really me just not knowing how to use it. I spent a little more time on it about an hour ago and i have much better understanding,[is there a way to test the map in the middle of making it???] Also i guess my new suggestion is, How about a tutorial fro the map editor or something like that?
0 x

Tom Th3 Assasin
Superfighter
Superfighter
SFD Account: JakMike
Started SFD: 2017

Post by Tom Th3 Assasin » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:47 am

MOOADAM wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:38 am
Gurt wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:23 pm
MOOADAM wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:34 pm
how about just making the map editor simpler in the first place, (i assume that's hard to do but I'm just saying) because i think any random person should be able to create a map, but hey the game isn't about map making its about superfighting.
Do you have any specific designs in mind that will make the editor much simpler to use?
In it's core you only need to drag in tiles from the right list into the workspace and you have a map to play.
[is there a way to test the map in the middle of making it???]

Also i guess my new suggestion is, How about a tutorial fro the map editor or something like that?
Yes,you can always test your map's in middle by pressing F5 key

There is also a Template map given in the folder,Its much like a tutorial map for beginners.Which show's every basic part for map making.
4 x
There is not a single thing that I can't do

https://imgur.com/a/Ybqji

Motto73
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Lazy ass
SFD Account: Motto73
Started SFD: Multiplayer Test Demo

Post by Motto73 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:02 pm

MOOADAM wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:38 am
--
but hey the game isn't about map making its about superfighting.
--
Last time i checked it (which was about a year ago) i spent like 20 minutes trying to do stuff and place mess but couldn't figure it out. So it was really me just not knowing how to use it. I spent a little more time on it about an hour ago and i have much better understanding,[is there a way to test the map in the middle of making it???] Also i guess my new suggestion is, How about a tutorial fro the map editor or something like that?
Yes, for most of the people the game is about superfighting, but there is the part of community that mostly makes maps/scripts.

Usually I have a lot of suggestions on how to make something simpler or easier, more visual or anythign that could improve something. But honestly, I don't have any ideas how SFD map editor could be done more intuitive or simple. You drag a tile, resize it and leave it where you want to. On every tile with some functions there is a help button with detailed info what it does. For example SpawnPlayer:

If you don't understand the meaning of ? symbol (which is universally used as "help") there literally is a "Help" menu in top of the screen:

A good idea is to read the instructions before using anything. The F11 help window contains everything you need to know about the tiles, their relations and usage. (If you are doing some coding you might find the ScriptApi useful.)

Spending 20 minutes or one hour might sound a lot for you, but a lot map makers, like me, who make maps for everyone to enjoy, use multiple hours every day. Making maps is simply time-consuming, no matter how simple the controls are. Also, the help section is literally "Tutorial" already:
7 x

Motto73
Superfighter
Superfighter

Post by Motto73 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:20 pm

I'd like to have more plants and wildlife here. For example rug-like grass tiles and bushes would be very nice.
5 x

Motto73
Superfighter
Superfighter

Post by Motto73 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:02 pm

Time for MORE marker suggestions!

3. ConnectJoint
WeldJoint's tougher big brother

It would work like Weldjoints to users but instead of making invisible "rubber band" between tiles it would actually combine the connected objects into one tile! See the examples:

Here you can see the normal WeldJoint in use: it makes bonding with certain force between connected objects:
Here is ConnectJoint: It combines the textures into one big tile and also into one big collider:

Benefits:
  • It could reduce a LOT lag when having multiple tiles weld together
  • It would make connection more constant, and avoid the "rubber madness" bug (see below)
  • It has a cool symbol
Bad things it might have:
  • Computing the new colliders and textures might take more time than just making the force connection
  • More tiles might confuse people
  • Someone might mistake the symbol of actually meaning something instead of being a failed drawing
"Rubber madness" bug (.gif by @Zere )
5 x

JakSparro98
Superfighter
Superfighter
Started SFD: PreAlpha 1.0.5

Post by JakSparro98 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:51 am

Motto73 wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:02 pm
ConnectJoint suggestion
I would like to see something like this come true, but I strongly fear that It won't happen since the player could create a new fixture (a box2d collider to be clear) that could be concave and this is not acceptable in the engine.

Nothing impossible though, only a lot of work (and equally willpower from the devs) to add the new mechanic, some check in the editor to accept only convex shapes and prevent futher game breaking bugs due this new addition.
Off Topic
sometimes I think that for adding these time-consuming features they should consider to hiring some extra code helpers (and no, I'm not thinking about myself, I cannot handle an entire game as developer, also because I've already a job currently).
0 x

Motto73
Superfighter
Superfighter

Post by Motto73 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:18 am

As nice as it sounds on first sight it actually has a lot problems @JakSparro98. For example, how should tile health be handled? If you connect barrels, crates and solid tiles, what happens when someone shoots it? Things aren't as simple after all.
0 x

JakSparro98
Superfighter
Superfighter
Started SFD: PreAlpha 1.0.5

Post by JakSparro98 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:21 pm

I don't know much how Box2D works but I found something that explains two ways of welding objects together, one is with weld joints but the page itself also says that this first method will have a problem, the one we have already experimented (weld joints are not perfectly rigid), the other seems to be a single body solution, here is the source.
0 x

7rodo
Meatbag
Title: j
SFD Account: n/a
SFD Alias: Nobody
Started SFD: somewhere in december 2017

Post by 7rodo » Fri May 25, 2018 3:08 pm

Hydrate tank? When attacked it sprinkles water up the way and the water fades away...
2 x
j

Shock
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Content-maker
SFD Account: Shock
Started SFD: Pre-Alpha 1.2.0.

Post by Shock » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:35 am

Here's some of my new ideas

1.ChangePlayerTeam
-Changes player team while round
► Show Spoiler

2.ChangePlayerModifier
-Changes player modifier while round
► Show Spoiler

3.ChangePlayerProfile
-Changes player profile while round
► Show Spoiler

4.ChangeObjectColor
-Changes color of any object while round
-Possibility to choose colors for changing

5.OnPlayerCommand
-Gets player if any command is done or while doing any command
► Show Spoiler

6.**GibZoneImproved
-Possibility to set filter objects or players that will be gibable in this zone

7.FarBackgroundText
-Possibility to set parallax as FBG tile for the text in layers
► Show Spoiler
8.SetWeakObject
-Possibility to make any tile weak , that will be destroyable
-Possibility to set weak object health to destroy
► Show Spoiler

9.InvisibleWeakObject
-Invisible weak object , that will be destroyable
► Show Spoiler
10.MoveObjectTrigger
-Moves any object in different neverending directions
-Possibility to set angle of movement
► Show Spoiler

11.**GameOverTriggerImprove
-Possibility to set the name of gameover

12.**PlayerModifierProfileImprove
-Possibility to set random modifier onstartup
8 x
-Content-maker.

Moodic
Meatbag
SFD Account: Moodic

Post by Moodic » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:32 pm

More foreground variations of normal solid/background tiles? Please?
0 x
Papa Communism #5908 on discord, texture artist and mod creator.
Member of (Mask), (Mask) Moodic ingame name.

StarNord
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: SelfProclaimed LvL99 Suggester
SFD Account: StarNord
SFD Alias: Sunny Citizen
Started SFD: A lil' Before Pre-Alpha 1.6.0

Post by StarNord » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:32 pm

SFD's map editor, as of now, lacks many decorative tiles that deviate from SFD's dark and bleak art style, what I mean is that you can't really replicate, let's say, sonic with SFD's colour palette, it would just be plain impossible.

And of course, this doesn't need to be possible but I think there should be an option for players to be able to sink in tons of hard work to completely change their level's aesthetics to match another game or just to give their own level a completely unique aesthetic.

So, I present to you... The pixel, which would exist in all three categories of tiles, solid, foreground, background, and far background, so what is it? A literal pixel, which can be moulded into whatever you want and won't just use SFD's limited colour palette, instead, it'll use RGB colour values to determine it's colour.

To be easier to "mould", the edges of the pixel would be able to expand by dragging the edge like any other tile currently in the editor, this would make the process of making a tile less monotonous, like having to copy-paste it again and again just to make a damn line.

and for a more complex suggestion... after the tile is done, it can be put into a "tile group" which'll function like a normal group but it'll be able to expand and shrink like tiles.

Now, I have absolutely no idea whether something like I suggested is at all possible, for all I know, the devs might be laughing their asses off at the absurdity of my suggestion or feel shame because their limited game can't have a mere pixel as a feature, but that's beside the point, which is, take my shit with a grain of salt...

Okay, let's say it's not possible, I've been making backgrounds pixel-by-pixel with the BgDamage00A tile, and I hate that I have to copy-paste again and again just to make a damn line and I hate the fact that the colour of the tile can't get any lighter even though lighter colours exist in SFD's palette.

If the devs wanna go the minimalist route the least I want them to do is make a new "pixel" tile that has all the colours in SFD's palette and exists in the categories FG, Solid, BG and FBG.

Edit:
Another good thing with the pixel tile is that, if you are just feelin' nostalgic but have no intention on making an entire level of mario world, because you just aren't talented enough to pull it off accurately, or you don't have the time, you can just make some of the tiles used in mario and upload it to the cloud and hope to inspire someone who's more talented, or has less of a life than you, to make a mario world themselves.

And this also solves all the tile suggestions, if you want a tile in foreground you can replicate the tile with the pixel, tile group it, and then post it on sfdmaps or something for fellow mapmakers to use.
10 x
Go On, Click Away. Signatures Are For Fools Who Haven't Said Enough! -Karl Marx if he had an internet connection

Katrtlen
Fighter
Fighter
SFD Account: Gayfish
Started SFD: Few months after release
Post by Katrtlen » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:45 am

I know that there is still a bit of time before SFD will be released on steam with CPU AI, yet I think that developers haven't thought about adding such feature for your maps and even if, I would like to share how i would like to see this.

New markers:

BotControl - With this marker you can make a movement and action path for CPUs. In other words, CPU will walk into places and shoot, grab, jump, etc. where you wanted. Here goes options for this marker:
Object ID
Target player: Select CPU you want to be controlled.
Target path: The start of CPU's path. Select first BotControlPath marker.
Loop: If you want CPU to endlessly move by moving to first BotControlPath after finishing whole path. False / True.
Activate on Startup: If you want CPU to move by path in startup. Otherwise you have to activate this marker with BotControlValueTrigger. True / False.
Enable Actions: If you want CPU to perform actions from BotControlAction. True / False.
(Additional) Track Type: The way CPU moves into BotControlPath markers. Shortest / Random. Random will make bot travel into BotControlPath in a random path. This means CPU will decide whether to move eg. through floating platforms or going under tunnel to reach path marker.

BotControlPath - Marker working as movement path for your CPU. After you place this marker on map, CPU will automatically move to location of this marker in shortest way (or random way).
Object ID
Object Type: Static or Dynamic. Yes, this can be dynamic.
Target Path: Next BotControlPath CPU will move into after reaching this one.
Delay: Time in miliseconds CPU will wait before moving into next path.
Activate Triggers: Which triggers will be activated after CPU will reach this path.
Stay: False / True. If CPU should stay in this path until BotControlValueTrigger will order to move further (skip option). Can be used in situation eg. you welded player with BotControlPath so CPU chases it.

BotControlAction - Marker working as spot where CPU will do something when touching it in it's path.
Object ID
Object Type: Static or Dynamic. This can also be dynamic!
Action: What CPU should do. Jump / Roll / Sprint / No Sprint / Walk / Grab Ledge and Release / Grab Ledge and Jump / Punch / Kick / Block / Select Slot 1-5 / Grab / Grab Corpse / Fall (CPU collapses, when used on ledges then CPU will fall) / etc.
Action Time: Time in miliseconds of how long CPU will perform certain actions.

BotControlValueTrigger - Trigger which allows you to modificate some values and CPU controlling in general. You can change BotControl options and one option made for BotControlPath (skip).
Object ID
Target: Which BotControl's values you want to modify.
Loop
Active on Startup
Enable Actions
Track Type
Skip: False / True. If set to true, CPU will skip current target BotControlPath and move to next one. Mostly used for stopping CPU from moving into BotControlPath markers with stay option as true.

It's countless how you could use those markers in your maps, in simple or creative ways. Developers, please think once or twice about adding this, in my opinion it will make SFD steam release even more spectacular.
3 x
Green buttons are good

RickAvory
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Sunny City Nationalist
SFD Account: Rick Avory
SFD Alias: (EA) Rick Avory
Started SFD: Sep 2016

Post by RickAvory » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:26 am

This sounds great for map creators. I am not that experienced with map making however this can be very useful for cutscenes even, similar to how in the beta there is a particular cutscene where the bot performs a punching action. This can be more easily achieve with more nodes like this.
0 x
We must root out the impurities in our midst

Yigrido
Fighter
Fighter
Title: zyfex is our savior
SFD Account: Bobbydied
SFD Alias: Yigrido
Started SFD: August 2018
Post by Yigrido » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:39 pm

Or it could just be an extension of the PlayerCommand trigger.
0 x
I try so hard to tryhard, but I can't tryhard no matter how hard I try.

Choose_NameHere
Fighter
Fighter
Title: #BR gosto de pastel
SFD Account: Choose_NameHere

Post by Choose_NameHere » Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:24 am

Well, I had this idea when I was doing nothing so it's half meaningless or it would be disembodied ... I'd say it's unnecessary because we do not need it in the game, but it's a terrestrial globe, I do not know if that makes sense For you, but I'm not American. ¯ \ (ツ) / ¯

https://i.imgur.com/NpTM85q.png
Last edited by Choose_NameHere on Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:48 pm, edited 5 times in total.
2 x

KliPeH
Title: [happy moth noises]
SFD Account: KliPeH
Started SFD: Pre-Alpha 1.4.2

Post by KliPeH » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:38 pm

Choose_NameHere wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:24 am
[...]
http://www.mediafire.com/file/gdttb47ob ... d.png/file

Just to remember, I've never posted an image here before so I'm putting a print that I put in the mediafire and I put it here to see if the image will appear together, if the image does not appear you'll have to click on the link, I'm sorry ;-;

Here. Just upload the image to Imgur.
1 x

Shock
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Content-maker
SFD Account: Shock
Started SFD: Pre-Alpha 1.2.0.

Post by Shock » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:40 am

Hello, i would like to suggest some new tiles in Map editor.

1.Ground + Grass(MilitaryObjects + Dirt)*New tile
-Usual ground object

2.Ice(SnowTile)*New tile
-You can slide on the ice.

3.Translucent water(Water)*New tile

4.Plant(Plant)*Fixed tile

5.Translucent mist(Mist)*New tile

6.New FBG(FBG)*New tile

7.New trees(Trees)
I made my own art to show you how "good?" can it be
Link

Download materials
10 x
-Content-maker.

Vitamin E
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Completely Neutral
Started SFD: around 2012
Post by Vitamin E » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:18 pm

I think ice physics could lead to some funny gameplay and I’m all for it. Good idea Shock! Maybe add snowballs too? It's that time of the year to have a snowball fight
2 x

Diamond TH
Fighter
Fighter
Title: Fairplayer
SFD Account: Diamond_TH
SFD Alias: Diamond_TH
Started SFD: May 2015

Post by Diamond TH » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:08 am

Shock wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:40 am
3.Translucent water(Water)*New tile
I like this idea the most! There will be more fun gameplay with it if they'll add some special physics to it ( and AIR bar ( maybe ) ? )
3 x
Image - Noob SuperFighter saying