Dear forum users! In compliance with the new European GDPR regulations, we'd just like to inform you that if you have an account, your email address is stored in our database. We do not share your information with third parties, and your email address and password are encrypted for security reasons.

New to the forum? Say hello in this topic! Also make sure to read the rules.

Weapons Dropping from Grab shouldn't Stun Players

Give us your input on how we may improve the game in future versions.
Forum rules
By using the forum you agree to the following rules. For this forum you also need to follow these additional rules.
Bash Kraken
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Action Hero Extraordinaire
SFD Alias: Bash Kraken
Started SFD: December 2012
Weapons Dropping from Grab shouldn't Stun Players

Post by Bash Kraken » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:17 am

Shown here is Khnight readying a throw and then being grabbed with two different weapons. Both the machete and uzi are shown to fall on my head, stunning me.
Last edited by Gurt on Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
6 x
heck
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.

Splinter
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Grenade chef
Started SFD: 1.1.6
Post by Splinter » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:58 am

Nice post. It could also happen if Khnight was shooting with the uzi, for example. One possible way to fix this is to raise the minimum velocity required for a dropped item to hit someone.
1 x
Hold your breath.

Gurt
Lead Programmer
Lead Programmer
Title: Lead programmer
Started SFD: Made it!

Post by Gurt » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:34 pm

Moving this to the suggestions topic.
After all:
Bash Kraken wrote:Both the machete and uzi are shown to fall on my head, stunning me.
Yeah - kinda how we designed it.

Hjarpe and I have been thinking about increasing the minimum velocity for some time for other reasons but we'll see.
1 x
Gurt

Bash Kraken
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Action Hero Extraordinaire
SFD Alias: Bash Kraken
Started SFD: December 2012
Post by Bash Kraken » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:49 pm

This post was made in response to your comment:
Gurt wrote:Dropped items can stun you but we have never seen it happen by grabbing someone disarming them. If anyone can share a gif over this it would be perfect because then we can see the exact circumstances and how you do it differently from us, and if that situation is a bug or not. This should be its own bug report.
This was not meant to be a suggestion post. I showed a possible situation in which the problem could happen, at your request.
0 x
heck
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.

Gurt
Lead Programmer
Lead Programmer

Post by Gurt » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:51 pm

Bash Kraken wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:49 pm
This post was made in response to your comment:
Gurt wrote:Dropped items can stun you but we have never seen it happen by grabbing someone disarming them. If anyone can share a gif over this it would be perfect because then we can see the exact circumstances and how you do it differently from us, and if that situation is a bug or not. This should be its own bug report.
This was not meant to be a suggestion post. I showed a possible situation in which the problem could happen, at your request.
All information we got was "Grabbing someone makes their dropped items stun you". Well.. grabbing someone on the same level doesn't make this happen so we THOUGHT it was a bug if it did! Grabbing someone standing above you will make them drop the items above you on your head - this was never clarified (like the gif now shows) until now! This is why a video/image tells more than thousand words!
0 x
Gurt

Sree
Superfighter
Superfighter
SFD Account: phasmic
SFD Alias: sree

Post by Sree » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:16 pm

Gurt wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:51 pm

All information we got was "Grabbing someone makes their dropped items stun you". Well.. grabbing someone on the same level doesn't make this happen so we THOUGHT it was a bug if it did! Grabbing someone standing above you will make them drop the items above you on your head - this was never clarified (like the gif now shows) until now! This is why a video/image tells more than thousand words!

I believe you got way much more information than just " grabbing someone makes their dropped items stun you ". Alex stated " when you grab someone MID-AIR, disarming them, and their weapon falls on your HEAD " which exactly matches with the situation in the gif.

This post deserves a better response than just moving it into the suggestions topic, If this is by design then it's designed horribly. It doesn't even make any sense why getting one's grab canceled should be a repercussion to the one grabbing. This happens a lot when you grab someone who is shooting mid-air or on top of something.
1 x

Splinter
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Grenade chef
Started SFD: 1.1.6
Post by Splinter » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:33 pm

Gurt just asked for a better explanation on how this happens exactly. It really isn't a bug; dropped items stuns players, and disarming players causes items to drop. Not that they intentionally designed this specific situation, but it's a consequence of how dropped items and grabs work.
Sree wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:16 pm
This post deserves a better response than just moving it into the suggestions topic
That doesn't mean he's gonna disregard the issue just because it's not technically a bug. A suggestion is not necessarily less valuable than a bug report, it can even be more important than a bug report, it depends.

With that said, I do hope they change this. There's no reason for the player who tried to grab to have his move denied. I'm also going to take the opportunity and show another situation which is very similar, I hope you don't mind if I post it here, because fixing this grab cancelling could fix this at the same time:
► Show Spoiler
5 x
Hold your breath.

Gurt
Lead Programmer
Lead Programmer

Post by Gurt » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:44 pm

We have decided to increase the minimum velocity required before items can hit you at all.
This is to prevent you being stunned as easily when other players drop items when they die, get disarmed or when you drop items (like chairs) during your jumps.
4 x
Gurt