Dear forum users! In compliance with the new European GDPR regulations, we'd just like to inform you that if you have an account, your email address is stored in our database. We do not share your information with third parties, and your email address and password are encrypted for security reasons.

New to the forum? Say hello in this topic! Also make sure to read the rules.

WaterZone and AcidZone reaction on non-Player objects

All reported bugs that's actually by design.
Forum rules
By using the forum you agree to the following rules. For this forum you also need to follow these additional rules.
NTN9
Fighter
Fighter
Title: Who am I?
SFD Alias: NTN9
Started SFD: PreAlpha 1.6.2

WaterZone and AcidZone reaction on non-Player objects

Post by NTN9 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:52 pm

As you know, WaterZone and AcidZone react on players with sound and visual effect. But they don't do this with Objects, Items, and other Foreground Tiles.
0 x

Tom Th3 Assasin
Superfighter
Superfighter
SFD Account: JakMike
Started SFD: 2017

Post by Tom Th3 Assasin » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:01 pm

This is because the objects and tiles has nothing to do with them.
0 x
There is not a single thing that I can't do

https://imgur.com/a/Ybqji

KliPeH
Title: [happy moth noises]
SFD Account: KliPeH
Started SFD: Pre-Alpha 1.4.2

Post by KliPeH » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:33 pm

Tom Th3 Assasin wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:01 pm
This is because the objects and tiles has nothing to do with them.
NTN9's point is that non-player objects should generally have some effect on the water, whether it's a big splash, a small "ripple" or a few particles appearing on the surface area of the impact.

Personally I've been hoping to see a dynamic remake of the water system like the one Terraria introduced in its 1.3.4 update, but I don't think that's something the devs are planning on doing and I'm not sure it's even possible with the kind of engine SFD uses. Besides, I can already see people going batshit crazy over how such a change could destroy their PCs or how this could "literally kill" the game in terms of performance.

Water in SFD has no effect on gameplay so it's generally regarded as a "lively" touch to a map and no more than that. Still, it would be nice to see attention to detail given to all aspects of the game, regardless of how important or unimportant they really are.
1 x

Gurt
Lead Programmer
Lead Programmer
Title: Lead programmer
Started SFD: Made it!

Post by Gurt » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:35 pm

Games like Terraria have the benefit of having a strict tile-based grid. SFD don't have that which means you can create very complex structures. We're not going to have any water simulation what-so-ever. Water is just some esthetics in SFD to create limitations in your map without using invisible borders or walls everywhere.
Effects for objects are hard and left out on purpose. Do we need a bigger sized effect for bigger objects? What if bigger objects just dip their corner in the water? What if it splashes down in the water in some weird diagonal angle which should result in an even bigger effect? We kept it simple and only shows the effect for players right now.
2 x
Gurt