Dear forum users! In compliance with the new European GDPR regulations, we'd just like to inform you that if you have an account, your email address is stored in our database. We do not share your information with third parties, and your email address and password are encrypted for security reasons.

New to the forum? Say hello in this topic! Also make sure to read the rules.

Manually start a log for monitoring strange crashes with no reports

All technical topics that have been answered in one way or another can be found here.
Forum rules
By using the forum you agree to the following rules.
JakSparro98
Superfighter
Superfighter
Started SFD: PreAlpha 1.0.5

Manually start a log for monitoring strange crashes with no reports

Post by JakSparro98 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:49 pm

The game sometimes crashes and kills the process, I get no log in the report folder, I was wondering if there's a way to force a log to start in these cases.

I do not provide maps, even because these crashes are not referred to any map in particular, often it also happens that when I check the script with the compile button the game hangs with "SuperFighters Deluxe has stopped working" about a couple hours later since I started to write scripts, if it can help it seems to crash only if in the code there's an error.

Little note, I know for sure that even the OutOfMemory exception makes the process crash silently.
0 x

Gurt
Lead Programmer
Lead Programmer
Title: Lead programmer
Started SFD: Made it!

Post by Gurt » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:54 pm

There seem to be instances where SFD will simply crash due to some underlaying bugs (with drivers probably). See https://mythologicinteractiveforums.com ... =18&t=2066 for more information and how to see your windows logs after potential errors.
0 x
Gurt

JakSparro98
Superfighter
Superfighter

Post by JakSparro98 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:26 pm

Gurt wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:54 pm
There seem to be instances where SFD will simply crash due to some underlaying bugs (with drivers probably). See https://mythologicinteractiveforums.com ... =18&t=2066 for more information and how to see your windows logs after potential errors.
I found something but it doesn't refers to the latest crashes (since the game suddenly exited again without creating other logs), I will keep investing if something jumps out further on.

Meanwhile I post the one I found:
Application: Superfighters Deluxe.exe Framework Version: v4.0.30319 Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception. Exception Info: System.AccessViolationException Stack: at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.CallWindowProc(IntPtr, IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr) at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.DefWndProc(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef) at System.Windows.Forms.ToolTip.WndProc(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef) at System.Windows.Forms.ToolTip+ToolTipNativeWindow.WndProc(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef) at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr) at System.Windows.Forms.SafeNativeMethods.MessageBox(System.Runtime.InteropServices.HandleRef, System.String, System.String, Int32) at System.Windows.Forms.MessageBox.ShowCore(System.Windows.Forms.IWin32Window, System.String, System.String, System.Windows.Forms.MessageBoxButtons, System.Windows.Forms.MessageBoxIcon, System.Windows.Forms.MessageBoxDefaultButton, System.Windows.Forms.MessageBoxOptions, Boolean) at System.Windows.Forms.MessageBox.Show(System.String, System.String, System.Windows.Forms.MessageBoxButtons, System.Windows.Forms.MessageBoxIcon) at SFD.MapEditor.SFDScriptEditor.fFpXZJJrHvxLzTlHxBQjsQ51oOf6acZo47cN29BmJDpc(System.Object, System.EventArgs) at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(System.Object, System.EventArgs) at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnClick(System.EventArgs) at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(System.EventArgs) at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEventInteractive(System.EventArgs, System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItemEventType) at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEvent(System.EventArgs, System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItemEventType) at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.ProcessCmdKey(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef, System.Windows.Forms.Keys) at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripManager.ProcessShortcut(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef, System.Windows.Forms.Keys) at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripManager.ProcessCmdKey(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef, System.Windows.Forms.Keys) at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.ProcessCmdKey(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef, System.Windows.Forms.Keys) at System.Windows.Forms.Form.ProcessCmdKey(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef, System.Windows.Forms.Keys) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ProcessCmdKey(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef, System.Windows.Forms.Keys) at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.ProcessCmdKey(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef, System.Windows.Forms.Keys) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ProcessCmdKey(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef, System.Windows.Forms.Keys) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ProcessCmdKey(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef, System.Windows.Forms.Keys) at System.Windows.Forms.TextBoxBase.ProcessCmdKey(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef, System.Windows.Forms.Keys) at System.Windows.Forms.RichTextBox.ProcessCmdKey(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef, System.Windows.Forms.Keys) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.PreProcessMessage(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.PreProcessControlMessageInternal(System.Windows.Forms.Control, System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef) at System.Windows.Forms.Application+ThreadContext.PreTranslateMessage(MSG ByRef) at System.Windows.Forms.Application+ThreadContext.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponent.FPreTranslateMessage(MSG ByRef) at System.Windows.Forms.Application+ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(IntPtr, Int32, Int32) at System.Windows.Forms.Application+ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32, System.Windows.Forms.ApplicationContext) at System.Windows.Forms.Application+ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32, System.Windows.Forms.ApplicationContext) at System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run(System.Windows.Forms.Form) at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.Run() at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.RunGame(Boolean) at SFD.Program.Main(System.String[])
0 x

Gurt
Lead Programmer
Lead Programmer

Post by Gurt » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:12 pm

There was an attempt to read or write protected memory in this case. This should not occur. I can only give you vague pointers like try to repair/reinstall the .NET framework if you get this every time and see if it helps.
0 x
Gurt

JakSparro98
Superfighter
Superfighter

Post by JakSparro98 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:07 pm

Gurt wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:12 pm
There was an attempt to read or write protected memory in this case. This should not occur. I can only give you vague pointers like try to repair/reinstall the .NET framework if you get this every time and see if it helps.
if I remember correctly, that day the crash happened I was only working with the Script Editor and then the famous "has stopped working", I add that I always keep the editor window open when I test the map, I only make the script window to lost focus and then I press F5 on the tile editor(whether the problem was that I do not close the window from a map test to another?).

Now I'll reinstall .Net, I will edit the post to tell you if the problem happens again or everything seems to be solved.

*EDIT*
I wasn't still able to verify if the problem with the script editor is solved but I think I've just found the first issue, the one that can kill the process instantly (in fact the script editor crash cannot kill the procces immediately because of the popup that says that the process is not responding/stopped working).

This example is able to suddenly make the program to exit without warnings on my system (in about 10 seconds from the map start), it basically are two ShowPopupMessage that are executed in a loop, the first with some new lines(\n) and the second with a single line, they both have to contain a printable character. I've noticed that the amount of new lines are variable to make a map to crash, in the example there are more than 20, in another map are sufficient only 3 new lines to make it to crash.

An important note: It only happens if the map is started outside the map editor (I've tested also in server program, the latter does not crash but the client that connects yes).
1 x

Gurt
Lead Programmer
Lead Programmer

Post by Gurt » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:11 pm

Thanks for the demo map. Was a racing condition causing problems on the client-side (some old code). Fixed it for the next update. I'm also enforcing an arbitrary limit on max 12 rows for popup messages (this includes rows created from text-wraps for long rows!). This is to avoid being able to clutter down the screen for the end user and to prevent silly things like trying to draw 100 lines on the screen.

You can probably avoid this problem by always showing a fixed amount of rows using the Popup function.
0 x
Gurt

Kers
Fighter
Fighter
SFD Account: Kers
SFD Alias: Kers
Started SFD: PreAlpha 1.8.4

Post by Kers » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:55 pm

Just found this thread yesterday. I disabled my sound card in the device manager and didn't restart the computer according to the popup. Right now hosting Aircrates 4138 rounds, melee island 450 rounds, hover battle 1300 rounds, crates 460 rounds. No crash at all. Also hover battle used to take about 500M+ memory after a while but now only 250M and garbage collection is noticeable.
0 x

JakSparro98
Superfighter
Superfighter

Post by JakSparro98 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:05 pm

Kers wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:55 pm
Just found this thread yesterday. I disabled my sound card in the device manager and didn't restart the computer according to the popup. Right now hosting Aircrates 4138 rounds, melee island 450 rounds, hover battle 1300 rounds, crates 460 rounds. No crash at all. Also hover battle used to take about 500M+ memory after a while but now only 250M and garbage collection is noticeable.
So you're saying that the sound instances are not properly collected and causes an OutOfMemoryException, this good to know, if the crashes relates to memory problems are only caused by sounds, a good slice of debugging is gone, only focusing on sound instances.

Would you even try the "battle of teams" map that caused so much crashes and report the results in the correct thread? Because this started as a way to open logs due for crashes without reports , also related to script editor window that sometimes crashes with the exception I reported above (and yes, your crashes are without crash report too, but we already have a thread for this issue).
0 x

Kers
Fighter
Fighter
SFD Account: Kers
SFD Alias: Kers
Started SFD: PreAlpha 1.8.4

Post by Kers » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:54 am

JakSparro98 wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:05 pm
Kers wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:55 pm
So you're saying that the sound instances are not properly collected and causes an OutOfMemoryException, this good to know, if the crashes relates to memory problems are only caused by sounds, a good slice of debugging is gone, only focusing on sound instances.

Would you even try the "battle of teams" map that caused so much crashes and report the results in the correct thread? Because this started as a way to open logs due for crashes without reports , also related to script editor window that sometimes crashes with the exception I reported above (and yes, your crashes are without crash report too, but we already have a thread for this issue).
Hosting battle of teams right now. Will report back in that thread tomorrow.
0 x

JakSparro98
Superfighter
Superfighter

Post by JakSparro98 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:19 pm

I found another crash, obviously the report wasn't created so I found this in the event log:
System.AccessViolationException Stack: in Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.Texture2D.ReleaseNativeObject(Boolean) in Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.RenderTarget2D.ReleaseNativeObject(Boolean) in Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.Texture2D.!Texture2D() in Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.Texture2D.Dispose(Boolean) in Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.RenderTarget2D.Dispose(Boolean) in Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.GraphicsResource.Finalize()
0 x