Dear forum users! In compliance with the new European GDPR regulations, we'd just like to inform you that if you have an account, your email address is stored in our database. We do not share your information with third parties, and your email address and password are encrypted for security reasons.

New to the forum? Say hello in this topic! Also make sure to read the rules.

[GUIDE] How to Manually Port-Forward SFD

Having trouble running SFD? This is the place to get help and report errors.
Forum rules
By using the forum you agree to the following rules. For this forum you also need to follow these additional rules.
Presentionus
Fighter
Fighter
Title: Break, Make, Smash, Bash
SFD Account: Presentionus
SFD Alias: Present
Started SFD: PreAlpha 1.7.3b

Re: Manually Port-Forwarding SFD

Post by Presentionus » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:02 pm

KliPeH wrote:
Billy wrote:just one question, how to find out which port is used by anything, and which ports are allowed to use?
Generally most games use different ports and port UDP/TCP combinations. You can refer to (quite a long) list of games here. If it doesn't have your game just google "[your game] port" and it should find what you're looking for.
Tearum wrote:When i click to host a game and i start my server its okay and the port forwarding is also okay.
But nobody can join. Its on public game and there is 7 free slots and there isnt any bug or crash.
And the game is on the firewall list so the firewall dont block it.
If the automatic port forwarding succeeds you should probably be able to host without going through the manual process. The manual thing is there when it doesn't work and needs to be fixed by you. Sometimes there just aren't enough people playing/in your area who are willing to play and join your server. Keep waiting. If you wait over 20 minutes and nobody joins perhaps it's time to close the game and try later, or switch to the manual method.

If you wanna forward the port yourself disable the "Try automatic port forwarding" option from the settings menu and follow the steps in this tutorial. If you get stuck post where (and why) and we'll try to go through it together.
Everything worked exepct for the username and password. Can somebody pls help me?! My router model is TC7200.20 and no passwords or usernames will work!
0 x
░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▃
▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂
I███████████████████].
◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...

KliPeH
Title: [happy moth noises]
SFD Account: KliPeH
Started SFD: Pre-Alpha 1.4.2

Post by KliPeH » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:59 pm

Presentionus wrote:Everything worked exepct for the username and password. Can somebody pls help me?! My router model is TC7200.20 and no passwords or usernames will work!
Both the password and the username ('admin') for my D-Link router are required to be capitalized. That is, "admin" doesn't work, while "Admin" does. Try that as well. Alternatively, look common username/password combinations up or search for your router combination specifically.
0 x

Meowtist
Fighter
Fighter
SFD Account: Meowtist

Post by Meowtist » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:35 pm

Another way? My router only have name but no compatible numbers in the site
0 x

Scraper
Fighter
Fighter
SFD Account: Scrapper
SFD Alias: Scrapper
Started SFD: PreAlpha 1.7.1
Post by Scraper » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:46 pm

Tearum wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:59 pm
i have a problem with hosting.

When i click to host a game and i start my server its okay and the port forwarding is also okay.
But nobody can join. Its on public game and there is 7 free slots and there isnt any bug or crash.
Before that i could host and i did it a lot but i update my windows 10 and i bought a new video card etc. and after that i had this problem.
(((((i can join to other server))))))))
My port forward is 52233.
MY fps is 60-70.
I tried to switch off the automatic port forwarding or try other port number than 52233 but nothing changed.
My friend in my street have the 52233 port like me and he can host without any problem.
When my friends tried to join to me it just counted up to 8.

Please help me.
Are you sure your IPV4 adress didn't change? From my experience,it changes every 17-22 days.
1 x

KliPeH

Post by KliPeH » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:56 pm

I've updated the thread.
  • Added an example to each step of my new router - a D-Link model. I've kept the old examples in case they help someone, but these new ones only go to show just how diverse the required credentials are. Make sure the information you obtain from the tutorial and input into your router control panel is correct, otherwise nothing will happen.
  • Added a link to a website you can use to check for default control panel passwords and usernames.
    KliPeH wrote:
    Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:15 pm
    Use this website if you're having trouble figuring it out.
  • Renamed the "Important Notes" section to "Troubleshooting". These aren't just notes, they're possible solutions to your problems.
  • Reworded and pushed the following note up top:
    KliPeH wrote:
    + Your IPv4 address is going to change periodically. This will invalidate the entry you created and you won't be able to host again until the router cycles the address to the one you input initially. Most routers don't set up a static IPv4 address because it's less secure to do so. I didn't know this at first and couldn't host any multiplayer games for a few months as a result. If you were ever able to host but can't do it anymore, or can only do it sometimes, this is the reason. Repeat the "IP Address field" step in step [5] to get the new address (CMD => 'ipconfig'), and then update the existing port entry with it. The address changes on a daily (every PC/router restart) or weekly basis.
    This is important!
  • Added a new note:
    KliPeH wrote:
    + If you follow step [5] and see the "ipconfig" results including the IPv6 fields (big number and letter strings that look like this), disable the protocol by following this tutorial. It is likely to interfere with the port forwarding process, with your router not accepting the IPv4 address you give it even if it's correct.
    Thanks Lunatic!
  • Removed a note about the port forwarding process being the same for other multiplayer games; that's irrelevant.
  • General rewording and tweaking.
If you're still having trouble with forwarding ports, check to see if these changes help you in any way. Each router is different and requires information I couldn't ever hope to explain all here, out of fear of over-complicating things for the myriad simple router interfaces out there. I'm sorry I can't go over every everything, you'll probably have to figure it out on your own.

EDIT:
  • Added a new note:
    KliPeH wrote:
    + Make sure your firewall isn't blocking external connections through SFD by allowing them in the firewall settings (Control Panel => Windows Firewall => Advanced Settings => Inbound Rules). Every instance of SFD in the list should look like this.
    Thanks JakSparro98!
EDIT #2:
  • Added a new note:
    KliPeH wrote:
    + Make sure the UPnP protocol set is enabled on your router. I enable/disable the option from under the Networking Tools tab; you might need to explore your router interface for the option on your own. You may be required to restart the router in order to apply the change.
2 x

KliPeH

Post by KliPeH » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:03 pm

I've slightly modified and updated the thread.
  • Changed the bullet points in the Troubleshooting section to numbers, as to reflect on the order of steps you need to take in order to troubleshoot your problem (from most-likely-to-cause-issues to least-likely-to-cause-issues).
  • Added a new note:
    KliPeH wrote:
    2. The tutorial introduces you to 3 different types of addresses, all fulfilling a different role. It is imperative that you understand when to use which address in order to successfully forward your ports.
    • The gateway address (10.0.0.138) is the address you use to get into your router's control panel. It is not used anywhere but in your browser's search bar.
    • The IPv4 address (192.168.0.1) is the address you use in all your forwarding entries; when you create a new entry for a port and you're asked to input an "address", it is always going to be your IPv4 address, never anything else.
    • Finally, the IP address (221.192.199.49) is the address you give your friends so they can connect to your lobby. It is never used anywhere else but in-game.
    Remember not to mix the addresses up, e.g using your IP address in place of the IPv4 address when creating the forwarding entry.
  • Modified a note:
    KliPeH wrote:
    4. Always have your friends connect to your server through your personal IP address. You might've changed some setting in-game which hid or otherwise moved your server on the server list making it harder to find right away. If you want your friends to connect to your server directly, give them your IP address. Click here to find the current one.
  • Wording.
0 x

_Batman_Shadow_
Fighter
Fighter
Title: Just A Color
SFD Account: Shinobi(variants)
SFD Alias: Shinobi
Started SFD: Around Pre-A 1.7.3
Post by _Batman_Shadow_ » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:16 am

Can you please explain to me why i have UPnP and my ports still wont foward?I have ATM PF on in the SFD settings and my spectrum router is supposed to support gaming.Help.
0 x
*Swish*Cling*Bash*Out Of The Shadows Mudafucka!!!!*Pitter Patter

Noonja

piterskiy
Superfighter
Superfighter
SFD Account: PiterskiyReal
Started SFD: PreAlpha 1.4.X

Post by piterskiy » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:24 pm

_Batman_Shadow_ wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:16 am
Can you please explain to me why i have UPnP and my ports still wont foward?I have ATM PF on in the SFD settings and my spectrum router is supposed to support gaming.Help.
Chance to open ports using UPnP in SFD is 0.1%
0 x

Teh Doge
Meatbag
Title: Doge
SFD Account: Teh Doge
Started SFD: Beta 1.0.2c
Post by Teh Doge » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:54 pm

I set up port forwarding on my computer but it still says port forwarding failed. Any Tips?
I'm using a Motorolla NVG589 router in case you need to know.
0 x
Yes, I am a doge. Yes, that also makes me a meme.

And I don't care.

KliPeH

Post by KliPeH » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:11 pm

Teh Doge wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:54 pm
I set up port forwarding on my computer but it still says port forwarding failed. Any Tips?
I'm using a Motorolla NVG589 router in case you need to know.
Can you post a screenshot of the forwarding entry for SFD inside the control panel?
0 x

Teh Doge
Meatbag
Title: Doge
SFD Account: Teh Doge
Started SFD: Beta 1.0.2c
Post by Teh Doge » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:38 pm

Nevermind, I got it working after digging around the settings for both my router and SFD.
0 x
Yes, I am a doge. Yes, that also makes me a meme.

And I don't care.

Kawabanga
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Epic fails amateur.
SFD Alias: My name is Kawa-bbanggza!!
Started SFD: Late 2015
Post by Kawabanga » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:54 pm

Just wanted to mention that if you host, and no one can join despite you've done port-forwarding in your router, setting a static IP can help.
Firstly, set your computer to have static IP, eg. 192.168.0.123 . Then set your router to forward port 52233 on computer with "192.168.0.123" IP. This method worked for me. How to set static IP and port-forward your router, just browse YT.
0 x

PesadillaSFD
Meatbag
Title: when haces tu momo en el foro
SFD Account: Pesadilla
SFD Alias: Pesadilla
Started SFD: PreAlpha 1.7
Post by PesadillaSFD » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:30 pm

I could host before but after a few updates I lost the host
0 x

RickAvory
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Sunny City Nationalist
SFD Account: Rick Avory
SFD Alias: (EA) Rick Avory
Started SFD: Sep 2016

Post by RickAvory » Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:22 am

PesadillaSFD wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:30 pm
I could host before but after a few updates I lost the host
True hosting with NAT-Punchthrough. My manual port stopped working for some reason instead so I just tried using the new feature they implemented. Should work.
0 x
We must root out the impurities in our midst

DaxOttsel
Fighter
Fighter
Title: Hello there1
SFD Account: DaxOttsel
SFD Alias: Kevin
Started SFD: 2019

Post by DaxOttsel » Wed May 20, 2020 2:30 am

Tearum wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:59 pm
i have a problem with hosting.

When i click to host a game and i start my server its okay and the port forwarding is also okay.
Before that i could host and i did it a lot but i update my windows 10 and i bought a new video card etc. and after that i had this problem.
(((((i can join to other server))))))))
My port forward is 52233.
MY fps is 60-70.
I tried to switch off the automatic port forwarding or try other port number than 52233 but nothing changed.
My friend in my street have the 52233 port like me and he can host without any problem.
When my friends tried to join to me it just counted up to 8.

Please help me.
Did you ever solved it? I've got the same issue.
0 x