Dear forum users! In compliance with the new European GDPR regulations, we'd just like to inform you that if you have an account, your email address is stored in our database. We do not share your information with third parties, and your email address and password are encrypted for security reasons.

New to the forum? Say hello in this topic! Also make sure to read the rules.

Removing "Pistons" Map.

Discuss everything to do with Superfighters Deluxe here that doesn't fit in other Superfighters Deluxe Forums!
Forum rules
By using the forum you agree to the following rules.
Bad Clown
Fighter
Fighter
Title: Stupid Newb
SFD Account: Hearth
SFD Alias: I'm changing my name everyday
Started SFD: Pre-Alpha 1.6.2

Removing "Pistons" Map.

Post by Bad Clown » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:12 am

Hi

I have 2 differents computers (differents locations),and when I use my most bad computer,I'm running SFD with like 40-60 fps.
But,in maps like Pistons,i'm having like 3-10 fps.
So i'm asking to removing it.For me (and for many others players) this is the most bad and useless official map.
Not enough covers,small map,useless locations...
Plus,the sound of those "pistons" are very annoying,so i'm obligated to disable the sound while playing THIS map.

Thanks for reading,

sorry for my bad english.
0 x

Splinter
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Grenade chef
Started SFD: 1.1.6
Post by Splinter » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:39 am

I like Pistons. I don't have performance issues there, but maybe it could be improved somehow. But pistons is fun, it's the "wacky" map/stage that every game has, like waluigi's maps in mario party/mario kart, hehe. SFD is very randomic and kinda wacky, so this map highlights this characteristic. You just have to pay more attention to falling objects, crushing pistons and treadmills, that's all.
8 x
Hold your breath.

KliPeH
Title: [happy moth noises]
SFD Account: KliPeH
Started SFD: Pre-Alpha 1.4.2

Post by KliPeH » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:08 am

Bad Clown wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:12 am
I have 2 differents computers (differents locations),and when I use my most bad computer,I'm running SFD with like 40-60 fps.
Getting poor framerate in a game this graphically undemanding game is laughable. Maybe it's time to consider getting an upgrade. 40-60 FPS? Try 900-1000.

Bad Clown wrote:
For me (and for many others players) this is the most bad and useless official map.
[citation needed]

I sure as hell like Pistons, and so do "many other players". It's gimmicky but creative, it does what it sets out to do very well - provide risky plays that either pay out in victory or kill with the many hazards the map has on offer. That's what SFD is all about, remember?

Bad Clown wrote:
Not enough covers,small map, [...]
Not enough cover? What about all the objects that spawn on the platforms in the middle of the map, or on the bottom left and upper left parts? The objects on the top conveyor belt and the right side of the map? What about the portals on the right and left parts of the map that make for a quick escape route when you're in trouble? What about all these impenetrable walls and machinery everywhere you go? If anything I'd expect you to complain about Fairgrounds, or Mall. THAT'S where there's "not enough cover". What with the majority of both maps being this massive open area that is no more than a playground for those assault rifles and submachine guns. Why are we not vouching to remove them?

Why is being a "small map" used as an argument against it? What's wrong with small maps? Small maps emphasize on the CQC combat that is most unique to SFD; the quick potshots to deal sustained damage, in combination with the somewhat varied melee combat that is there to stun and disarm an opponent when they're dominating. They're the Yin and Yang of fighting. In small maps there are both ranged combat elements AND melee combat elements, which can't be said about big maps or melee maps that spawn ranged weaponry. SFD isn't built for large map play, and arguing gunplay is good enough to provide a fun experience on maps where melee combat isn't as accessible is difficult. There's no element of recoil compensation to set the skill ceiling higher, no bullet drop to provide a sense of authenticity, no bodypart damage or reliable critical hit chances that allow you to tactically neutralize an opponent, and generally no way to tell where your next shot will go. All of the above make "cover wars" less enjoyable to participate in and make gunplay feel more anemic. Why would I want to play a large map in which combat drags on for 10 minutes due to the fact shot placement doesn't matter and chip damage from single shots isn't enough to take an enemy down? This is as much of a personal preference as yours is.

Bad Clown wrote:
[...] useless locations...
Plus,the sound of those "pistons" are very annoying,so i'm obligated to disable the sound while playing THIS map.
"Useless"? For who exactly? Certainly not for me. What makes a location "useless", anyway? Please do elaborate.
The sound of the pistons is literally just the "dong" in a clock's "ding dong" sound. If that annoys you, you must be terribly picky about your sound effects. I mean, I can't blame you, but that's not a good reason to remove a whole map. Disable your sound effects then, nothing wrong with that. I've played without any sound for about half a year and that didn't detract from my experience playing SFD whatsoever.

Bad Clown wrote:
So i'm asking to removing it.
"So I've established my personal performance in the game is disgustingly bad due to outdated hardware, and I've just made some statistics up. I then added some subjective arguments that can't stand up to the facts, and now I'm asking to remove it." Sorry pal, these aren't good arguments to remove a map. My performance isn't bad, I don't find the locations in the map useless or the sound of the pistons annoying. So much for those ideas then, right?
1 x

ChaoticPanda
Meatbag
Title: A Mellow Yellow
SFD Alias: Yellow
Started SFD: Early 2015
Post by ChaoticPanda » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:26 am

While I agree with your other points, KliPeH, insulting someone because of how their computer runs a game is a little low. There is no telling what kind of situation they are in and so pointing that out in such a condescending matter is kind of immature.
6 x
‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                

KliPeH
Title: [happy moth noises]
SFD Account: KliPeH
Started SFD: Pre-Alpha 1.4.2

Post by KliPeH » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:42 am

ChaoticPanda wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:26 am
[...] pointing that out in such a condescending matter is kind of immature.
Imposing the "situation" on the rest of the community is just as immature. I don't think we should have a map removed because a minority doesn't agree with the fact it's incompatible with its hardware. I'm not experiencing any problems on my side and I will point that out. The devs cannot account for software dating 15-20 years back, and people posting feedback here should acknowledge that and take that to heart.

It is abundantly clear who's in fault of the map being "unnecessary" and "bad" - in this context, simply it running poorly. It wouldn't be such an issue had it not significantly disrupted gameplay in some way. I don't think the information OP has given us is entirely true, either. Assuming you do actually play at a solid 60 FPS, the drop in framerate shouldn't be as significant as to make the map unplayable to this extent. As it stands, the range we're given is 40-60, so I'm assuming the reality is closer to 35-45.
0 x

ChaoticPanda
Meatbag
Title: A Mellow Yellow
SFD Alias: Yellow
Started SFD: Early 2015
Post by ChaoticPanda » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:16 am

Never did I mention my thoughts or opinions on this "minority". All I did was simply point out that your comment had a sense of unnecessary superiority. Sure, what he said may have been immature, but that doesn't mean you have to be just as immature right back. You are a moderator, and while I'm not here to tell you how to do your job, you should try to, at the very least, show a little more class.
6 x
‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                

Presentionus
Fighter
Fighter
Title: Break, Make, Smash, Bash
SFD Account: Presentionus
SFD Alias: Present
Started SFD: PreAlpha 1.7.3b

Post by Presentionus » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:43 am

Bad Clown wrote:
Hi

So i'm asking to removing it.For me (and for many others players) this is the most bad and useless official map.
Not enough covers,small map,useless locations...

Thanks for reading,

sorry for my bad english.
You cant just delete an official map just beacuse some players are getting low FPS! Just beacuse YOU dont like it doesnt mean it should be deleted! Thats like the final boss fight of a game but you instantly win it without even trying! Try Subway! That map has to constantly move a train, then once its off camera they have to delete it, and then teleport it back off camera and finally you get to see the train again, REPEAT! If we could delete maps with just a simple request on the forums then SFD would be dead. Either get a better computer or deal with it. :ugeek:
3 x
░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▃
▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂
I███████████████████].
◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...

Lunatic
Title: I hope Klipeh bans himself
SFD Alias: (LM) Lunatic
Started SFD: 1.0.5 Pre-Alpha

Post by Lunatic » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:46 pm

Pistons is, structurally, an awful map. I think it should be reworked for a better playing experience.

I've got something similar in the works, I should probably release it.
2 x
Originally posted by Gurt
SFD BADASS! 8-)

Del Poncho
Superfighter
Superfighter
Started SFD: July 2012 (1.0.5)

Post by Del Poncho » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:56 pm

It's not balanced. It's not exactly rewarding, nor fair. But it's a damn fine map for what matters the fun factor.

Remember that SFD is not meant to be a competitive game, but even if it was (things that many of us would love), not all maps have to be made for competitive play.

Also, remember that if you spawn in a bad location is only because not all men are created equal, and it's all in the dev's plan.
Mutilating your fighter is the way they show love.
3 x
The risk I took was caluclated, but man.....am I bad at math.

Gurt
Lead Programmer
Lead Programmer
Title: Lead programmer
Started SFD: Made it!

Post by Gurt » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:44 pm

It's ok for anyone to dislike any of the official maps. I think Pistons happens to be one of the most CPU intensive maps in SFD. Out of curiosity what kind of CPU do you have to have 3-4 fps on this map?
2 x
Gurt

jamisco
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Da God
SFD Account: Jamisco
SFD Alias: Jamisco
Started SFD: either late 2015 or early 2016

Post by jamisco » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:31 am

I bet it's The Intel 4004 :)
0 x
Is it better to be feared or respected... please, is it too much to ask for both?

GreenyShark
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Stealing kills from range
SFD Alias: Greeny
Started SFD: PreAlpha 1.7.0

Post by GreenyShark » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:37 am

Instead of developers taking the entire thing down, How about you just get some light custom maps and Play with better fps?
0 x

JakSparro98
Superfighter
Superfighter
Started SFD: PreAlpha 1.0.5

Post by JakSparro98 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:56 pm

Gurt wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:44 pm
It's ok for anyone to dislike any of the official maps. I think Pistons happens to be one of the most CPU intensive maps in SFD. Out of curiosity what kind of CPU do you have to have 3-4 fps on this map?
jamisco wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:31 am
I bet it's The Intel 4004 :)
Maybe he's the same guy who during the presentation of HL2 at E3 2003 said "Will this run on my 486?"
I think he's still using that coffee maker...
1 x

Noble
Title: Modest guy
SFD Alias: Best player
Post by Noble » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:23 am

Tho this topic has already got enough.

I do get a similar performance in Pistons, but I don't share the same dislikes as you. I mean, I really like that map and I think it's probably even funnier to play it smoothy.

Also, nobody suggested, but if your computer isn't that good: setting graphics to low; weather off; far bg off; closing another apps; setting the game real-timed in task manager must help (or even fix) your FPS issues.
0 x
When I was 22 I read this book
And I swore
"I'll stay my way, I'll stay my way"

Venom
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Faaking Jhesus
SFD Alias: jajajaja sadasdjasiojd
Started SFD: When it was fun
Post by Venom » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:23 pm

i'm also having the same issue i think something is wrong with the pistons map whenever i play there it lags more than as compared to other maps.
0 x
YOU FAAKING BITH NIGR BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU DO YOU ARE FAAKING YOUR FAAKING LIFE

IF YOU FAAKING FAAKING WITH TIME I WILL FAAKING COME AND KILL YOU BITH YOU DED :evil:

Pricey
Superfighter
Superfighter
SFD Alias: (LM) Pricey
Started SFD: August 2015

Post by Pricey » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:49 pm

Venom wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:23 pm
i'm also having the same issue i think something is wrong with the pistons map whenever i play there it lags more than as compared to other maps.
I'm pretty sure the reason Pistons has such low FPS compared to the other official maps is because it is constantly spawning objects (the ones that fall from various places and onto to the conveyor belt), and the amount of objects spawning simultaneously drastically affects FPS on older PCs.
2 x