Dear forum users! In compliance with the new European GDPR regulations, we'd just like to inform you that if you have an account, your email address is stored in our database. We do not share your information with third parties, and your email address and password are encrypted for security reasons.

New to the forum? Say hello in this topic! Also make sure to read the rules.

Keys are kept registered as "pressed" when opening the meny, scoreboard and chat.

Here you can find all solved gameplay problems and bugs (beginning from Pre-Alpha 1.8.8).
Forum rules
By using the forum you agree to the following rules. For this forum you also need to follow these additional rules.
btelchi
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: . . .
SFD Account: @btelchi
SFD Alias: I've got plenty
Started SFD: PreAlpha
Keys are kept registered as "pressed" when opening the meny, scoreboard and chat.

Post by btelchi » Sun May 21, 2017 6:43 pm

! Message from: Gurt
Merged topic
So, this is the common minor glitch for me as i always start the sentenses from a capital letter. Sometime when i type in chat (i use SHIFT to type the first letter big instead of CAPS) i drop my weapoon as i hold the drop key (mine is SHIFT), and that's 40% why i lose all the time. What i'm trying to say is that some keys are still active when you type and that usualy creates a very annoying situation like droping a M60 to your enemies while trying to type "XD", and else.

;P
1 x
Join our agency today. Copy AAT ayy
https://discord.gg/rB3GgCt
America is a tune, it must be sung together.

KliPeH
Title: [happy moth noises]
SFD Account: KliPeH
Started SFD: Pre-Alpha 1.4.2

Post by KliPeH » Sun May 21, 2017 7:38 pm

Firstly, I'm not able to replicate the issue, just like I thought. Shift stays inactive while chatting. I tried this both with the automatic sticky-key feature off and on (all computers have it on by default, I initially disabled it for my own convenience). What I think happens is that you're so eager to convey emotions to the rest of the lobby you press Shift before pressing the chat key, and end up toggling throw mode before opening the chat box (how do you even manage to drop the weapon? How long does it take you to write a capital letter?). Second of all, consider changing your key layout to a more conventional one, before asking for an official change. Third of all, and that's just a personal tip, don't type "XD" to anyone, especially to your friends. Do us all a favor. Please.
2 x

Gurt
Lead Programmer
Lead Programmer
Title: Lead programmer
Started SFD: Made it!

Post by Gurt » Tue May 23, 2017 6:40 pm

If you hold left and open the chat you will keep running left until you close the chat and let the game register a "release left key" event. This is by design as the chat (after being opened) will consume all key events and not let the game logic consume them. Same goes with all keys (so if you press shift before opening the chat the game things you're holding the shift key).

If you have noted a specific bug with a specific key binding setup that the game still registers input AFTER opening the chat then give some more in-depth details.
0 x
Gurt

btelchi
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: . . .
SFD Account: @btelchi
SFD Alias: I've got plenty
Started SFD: PreAlpha
Post by btelchi » Wed May 24, 2017 4:08 pm

Gurt wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 6:40 pm
If you hold left and open the chat you will keep running left until you close the chat and let the game register a "release left key" event. This is by design as the chat (after being opened) will consume all key events and not let the game logic consume them. Same goes with all keys (so if you press shift before opening the chat the game things you're holding the shift key).

If you have noted a specific bug with a specific key binding setup that the game still registers input AFTER opening the chat then give some more in-depth details.
That's exactly what i'm talking about. I don't press SHIFT before i enter the chat. I press it after it opens to type a big letter first. That's why i posted the bug. I noticed that your character keeps going after you open the chat, but it's not about pressing buttons before i enter the chat. I can also tell you my keybinds:
Move: WASD
Punch: F
Kick: G
Grab: H
Sheath: Q
Throw mode/drop: SHIFT
Aim/block: C
KliPeH wrote:
Sun May 21, 2017 7:38 pm
Firstly, I'm not able to replicate the issue, just like I thought. Shift stays inactive while chatting. I tried this both with the automatic sticky-key feature off and on (all computers have it on by default, I initially disabled it for my own convenience). What I think happens is that you're so eager to convey emotions to the rest of the lobby you press Shift before pressing the chat key, and end up toggling throw mode before opening the chat box (how do you even manage to drop the weapon? How long does it take you to write a capital letter?). Second of all, consider changing your key layout to a more conventional one, before asking for an official change. Third of all, and that's just a personal tip, don't type "XD" to anyone, especially to your friends. Do us all a favor. Please.
1. I managed to drop it by holding SHIFT, while typing. It's just my keybindings.
2. 0,5 - 1 sec.
3. I'll try to change it.
4. ok ._.

EDIT: I did change the key bindings, after that i changed them back to what i got earlier and the bug is gone. Weird. Thanks for help anyway!
Last edited by KliPeH on Wed May 24, 2017 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged double-post.
0 x
Join our agency today. Copy AAT ayy
https://discord.gg/rB3GgCt
America is a tune, it must be sung together.

Noble
Title: Modest guy
SFD Alias: Best player
Post by Noble » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:18 am

! Message from: Gurt
Merged topic
It seems this wasn't a thing before the actual version, but it's similar to when you press a button and press enter while holding that button and this button will be kept pressed forever unless you press it again. It began happening when you press Tab. It bothers a lot when I decide to really quickly press tab while in middle of a match and that happens.
1 x
When I was 22 I read this book
And I swore
"I'll stay my way, I'll stay my way"

Gurt
Lead Programmer
Lead Programmer

Post by Gurt » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:17 pm

"this wasn't a thing before the actual version" ?

When you mention Tab and Enter do you mean showing the scoreboard and using the chat?
0 x
Gurt

KliPeH
Title: [happy moth noises]
SFD Account: KliPeH
Started SFD: Pre-Alpha 1.4.2

Post by KliPeH » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:38 pm

Gurt wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:17 pm
When you mention Tab and Enter do you mean showing the scoreboard and using the chat?
He was comparing the bug to the scenario in which you press a button and then press Enter to continue the initial input of said button; the button will continue to be pressed as if you were holding it. As a matter of fact some players use this to walk in a certain direction when they're talking in chat so as to not stay completely immobile and be easy prey for their opponents.
1 x

Noble
Post by Noble » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:08 pm

KliPeH wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:38 pm
He was comparing the bug to the scenario in which you press a button and then press Enter to continue the initial input of said button; the button will continue to be pressed as if you were holding it. As a matter of fact some players use this to walk in a certain direction when they're talking in chat so as to not stay completely immobile and be easy prey for their opponents.
That's right. I mean this is happening when you press Tab, and I think this wasn't supposed to happen and wasn't happening before this version.
0 x
And I swore

Gurt
Lead Programmer
Lead Programmer

Post by Gurt » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:22 pm

This is all by design right now as the menu and chat consumes all input while being active. The game listens for key presses and releases and we're a bit technically limited to this right now.

How would you imagine it should work? This will be considered as a suggestion so "Sell us your idea. Presentation is everything." as we have written in the suggestions topic rules.
0 x
Gurt

Noble
Post by Noble » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:00 pm

Well I think I said it wrong, by Tab I meant the "players screen" (where you see the wins and losses or ping), but I didn't remember it wasn't Tab for everyone, its just the keybind I chose. I thought a button shouldn't continue to be pressed when you open the players screen cause it's not practical. While pressing enter is ok, but we should be able to move, punch, aim and whatever with that screen opened.
0 x
And I swore

Sree
Superfighter
Superfighter
SFD Account: phasmic
SFD Alias: sree

Post by Sree » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:46 am

Actually Noble is right. before the current version I was able to do anything while simultaneously holding the tab or the toggle scoreboard button. It was better that way because I view the scoreboard a lot to check my stats or my ping or the players joined etc and sometimes It's annoying because of it's current mechanic. If I check the scoreboard while I am running near the edge of a map or a tall building I tend to fall down even though I don't hold the sprint/forward button anymore (this has happened to me so many times).
1 x

Gurt
Lead Programmer
Lead Programmer

Post by Gurt » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:01 pm

After internal discussions we will change the logic to the following:
When opening the menu, scoreboard or chat all your player input will be stopped. You won't be moving off ledges or automatically drop your weapons - it also means you will stop movement in jumps and everything that comes with this.
When closing the menu, scoreboard or chat all keys you're currently pressing will be resumed (only works for keyboard input - gamepad users will have to repress the keys).
1 x
Gurt