Dear forum users! In compliance with the new European GDPR regulations, we'd just like to inform you that if you have an account, your email address is stored in our database. We do not share your information with third parties, and your email address and password are encrypted for security reasons.

New to the forum? Say hello in this topic! Also make sure to read the rules.

New Melee Weapon: Javelin

Give us your input on how we may improve the game in future versions.
Forum rules
By using the forum you agree to the following rules. For this forum you also need to follow these additional rules.
M_M_M
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: soopreeme groundpood
SFD Alias: MMM
Started SFD: PreAlpha 1.6.0

New Melee Weapon: Javelin

Post by M_M_M » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:14 am

The Javelin is a long metal rod with a sharp tip at the end for throwing decent distances. While you can use it to aggressively poke people, its true potential shines when thrown.

Javelin Stats
  • 10 DMG
  • 40 thrown DMG
  • 12-14 thrown range (further than the knife)
  • Durability lasts 8 hits
  • Rarity around the same level as fireaxe/katana
The javelin serves as a weapon that actually properly utilizes the throwing mechanic past throwing guns at each other and serves as a decent fit-in when the devs realize how crazy overpowered the 40-damage knife throwing is.
Last edited by M_M_M on Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
5 x
hello yes

Lunatic
Title: I hope Klipeh bans himself
SFD Alias: (LM) Lunatic
Started SFD: 1.0.5 Pre-Alpha

Post by Lunatic » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:30 am

Ah yes, the bastard child of the katana, the knife, and the makeshift weapon. Delightful.

Katana deals 15 damage per swing and you're aware the knife deals 40 thrown damage. We don't need this power weapon that bad.
0 x
Originally posted by Gurt
SFD BADASS! 8-)

M_M_M
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: soopreeme groundpood
SFD Alias: MMM
Started SFD: PreAlpha 1.6.0

Post by M_M_M » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:49 am

Lunatic wrote:Ah yes, the bastard child of the katana, the knife, and the makeshift weapon. Delightful.

Katana deals 15 damage per swing and you're aware the knife deals 40 thrown damage. We don't need this power weapon that bad.
I lowered it to 10 and besides, it has 5 less actual hits in it than the katana with the advantage of a pool cue's range.

I just need something that lets me get my tribal on seeing how pool cues are sad to throw.
0 x
hello yes

Powerbombs
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: four dimensional lasagna
SFD Account: Powerbombs
SFD Alias: powerbomb, bomberman
Started SFD: pre alpha 1.2

Post by Powerbombs » Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:10 am

Got the idea from Terraria I assume?
1 x
#RemoveFlamethrower

Lunatic
Title: I hope Klipeh bans himself
SFD Alias: (LM) Lunatic
Started SFD: 1.0.5 Pre-Alpha

Post by Lunatic » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:07 am

The Javelin is a weapon that goes very far back in history, used by many different civilizations and peoples. Most notably (imo) were the Romans. Just because a game uses a certain weapon doesn't mean that someone else gets ideas from games.

We have a Tommy Gun in SFD, did they get that from CoD World at War? Did they get it from Mafia 2?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Javelin
2 x
Originally posted by Gurt
SFD BADASS! 8-)

Duck
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: gogogadgetkeyboard
SFD Account: Shui
Started SFD: Jul 2013

Post by Duck » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:10 am

Lunatic wrote:The Javelin is a weapon that goes very far back in history, used by many different civilizations and peoples. Most notably (imo) were the Romans. Just because a game uses a certain weapon doesn't mean that someone else gets ideas from games.

We have a Tommy Gun in SFD, did they get that from CoD World at War? Did they get it from Mafia 2?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Javelin
Damn.

Fucking savage. :shock:
0 x
'<'

Wozenbelt
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: MASTER OF MOVEMENT
SFD Alias: (LM) Wozenbelt
Started SFD: Pre-Alpha 1.1.1

Post by Wozenbelt » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:08 am

Powerbombs wrote:Got the idea from Terraria I assume?
I'm sure you've thrown a cue stick in this update. I have, and it took me back a millennium or so. It's natural to think of a javelin when weapon throwing is introduced.

That said, I can't help but be leery about a weapon that takes off a big ol' 40 damage, especially with the way throwing is now. I think enough weapons are powerful when thrown. It looks like a fun concept, though. Just not sure about the damage values. It's worth testing, I think.
0 x
i got wozen fever