Dear forum users! In compliance with the new European GDPR regulations, we'd just like to inform you that if you have an account, your email address is stored in our database. We do not share your information with third parties, and your email address and password are encrypted for security reasons.

New to the forum? Say hello in this topic! Also make sure to read the rules.

Map Editor Suggestions

Give us your input on how we may improve the game in future versions.
Forum rules
By using the forum you agree to the following rules. For this forum you also need to follow these additional rules.
Dumby Eggy
Superfighter
Superfighter
SFD Account: Huevon NEO
SFD Alias: Huevon SFD
Started SFD: PreAlpha 1.8.8

Re: Map Editor Suggestions

Post by Dumby Eggy » Sun May 07, 2017 11:11 pm

It could be nice if you add all the sounds avaiable on the SoundMarker in the map editor. This could be interesting and requested if we're talking about aventure maps. Also, it could not be necessary to break our heads to find and use all the sounds in SFD using the API (As someone did before in a topic).
1 x
HINT: You will not surprise me if you are good with snipers and magnums and katanas; but I will give my respect for someone who is a weapon-master. So don't wait any cheer marksmen...8-)

Shock
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Content-maker
SFD Account: Shock
Started SFD: Pre-Alpha 1.2.0.

Post by Shock » Tue May 09, 2017 6:54 am

So... The next idea is : Weather Zone
You can set the terrain of snow or rain somewhere , its works like "AreaTrigger"

1.Snow
2.Rain

I dont know which marker is better

6 x
-Content-maker.

Motto73
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Lazy ass
SFD Account: Motto73
Started SFD: Multiplayer Test Demo

Post by Motto73 » Tue May 09, 2017 10:43 am

Gurt wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:21 pm
The timing is good on the camera marker suggestion as we "soon" need such triggers. We will most likely take some inspiration from the marker visuals.
I am very impressed that you actually used the visuals on the triggers you made. I appreciate this. Thanks.

And now into the camera marker:

It is nice having some triggers that can control camera, but even if we got it now, I'll say, this update was the worst I can remember. With the removal of the border areas and basic commands in scripts this spoiled most of custom maps, and since a lot of our map makers have "retired" there is no one to fix the old maps. Personally I like the most playing custom modes and co-ops which are all broken now. What I suggest is that you returned the normal camera commands back to us, but recommend using this marker instead.

Thanks in advance if you decided to help the poor little map makers.

p.s.
In addition many normal maps are broken since the border area is now dependent on camera area, in the way that it shows stuff that should be not seen.
0 x

KliPeH
Title: [happy moth noises]
SFD Account: KliPeH
Started SFD: Pre-Alpha 1.4.2

Post by KliPeH » Tue May 09, 2017 11:39 am

Motto73 wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 10:43 am
[...] this update was the worst I can remember. With the removal of the border areas and basic commands in scripts this spoiled most of custom maps, and since a lot of our map makers have "retired" there is no one to fix the old maps. Personally I like the most playing custom modes and co-ops which are all broken now. What I suggest is that you returned the normal camera commands back to us, but recommend using this marker instead.

Thanks in advance if you decided to help the poor little map makers.
On the other hand, we can't have development progress be impeded by every single thing the community creates. Maps getting outdated and no longer functioning properly is a given with any update that changes core things in the game. Some maps from the 1.2 beta era no longer work, and I don't see anybody complaining about that anymore - even if some of them were truly good. Tile sprites changed and may no longer be as pleasent as they used to be, the weapon spawning system changed, grabs and throwing were introduced disrupting gameplay in very specific gimmick maps, and yeah, script API changes too - the AI introduced in the previous update and the camera in this one, for example.

Code can sometimes be messy or written in a sub-optimal/ineffective way. As we near the game's release, devs will strive to iron ugly pieces of code out to provide us with more user functionality or make the use of the interface more newbie-friendly. Things move on, and most importantly, move forwards and not backwards. Creating backwards compatibility for functions can be a massive task, and require big effort for not that big of a reward. If the devs see fit to change code in a way that makes it either more flexible or easier to use, I'm all for it.

If specific custom maps are especially important to you, feel free to start fixing them yourself. You can't bring retired map creators back; you don't have that amount of influence over a person no matter who you are. Some aren't proud of their work and don't want to invest more time in it, some run out of ideas or don't feel they can improve the maps anymore, some lack the technical knowledge needed to fix them and some simply lose interest in the game. You can't expect all current map makers to stay active for all eternity. Custom map content constantly gets cycled around and more custom maps will be made with time, now with the new camera system taken into account.

most custom maps are garbage anyway, especially the adventure ones, not a great loss i'd wager
2 x

Motto73
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Lazy ass
SFD Account: Motto73
Started SFD: Multiplayer Test Demo

Post by Motto73 » Tue May 09, 2017 1:10 pm

Not a great loss. Sure.

I have used almost all my fee time on one and half year studying how the editor works, code tricks and making maps. I am not playing that much, but I am always creating more mods or maps. I really love custom modes, and all of the adventure maps are very precious. All my thoughts are all the time related to sfd, it's not just a game for me anymore, it's my lifestyle. With this I wanna tell how important this is for me.

I know that the dynamic duo told us that the maps might not work in future versions, but why to remove such well-working and finished things? The custom camera was in the heart of many custom modes, and now they're broken... I have integrated to this game and I don't want to let go just because one update made progress to wrong direction. If we won't get back the glorious camera commands, I wish that Gurt will add similiar commands tothe trigger somehow. With no camera borders even the normal maps look bad, if you haven't matched the camera trigger... ...which is the case in almost all maps now.
3 x

TheBlackshot
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Trigger-Black
SFD Alias: Blackshot
Started SFD: Winter 12/13

Post by TheBlackshot » Tue May 09, 2017 2:39 pm

I really need a "NoPlayerZone" marker, where anything but players can enter. For players, it'll be just like an invisible wall with no melee ability. I'm sure Gurt is against the invisible walls type of design, however certain (custom) maps (that already found a semi solution to this with the vertical platforms) would benefit from this addition. Sorry, if someone already mentioned something quite like this.
2 x
Blame the game, not the player

Gurt
Lead Programmer
Lead Programmer
Title: Lead programmer
Started SFD: Made it!

Post by Gurt » Tue May 09, 2017 10:00 pm

We removed the border areas because they do no longer apply and isn't a concept in SFD anymore.
The camera area you specify and use include an outer limit (represented by white borders when selected) that represent the largest possible area that can be visible to the end users (the players) depending on their resolution. It's up to you to design your map in such a way that it makes sense for the end users - no matter their resolution. The old border areas concept was a hacky way to render black borders outside any given area due to the old non-working dynamic camera that could show more than intended - this is no longer the case.

See KliPeH reply for why features may be removed at times. We're not deliberately trying to screw anyone over.
2 x
Gurt

Scraper
Fighter
Fighter
SFD Account: Scrapper
SFD Alias: Scrapper
Started SFD: PreAlpha 1.7.1
Post by Scraper » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:20 pm

There is a tile named FarBGClouds, which is very useful because it allows you to color the map in solid color, but since it is FarBg tile, it has lots of limitations. It would be cool to add BGClouds, that has the same effect as the FBClouds, but it overlaps the background tiles.
0 x

Vitamin E
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Completely Neutral
Started SFD: around 2012
Post by Vitamin E » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:30 pm

More foreground tiles would add to the depth of maps. If we could get some foreground railing, or foreground jail cell bars that would be awesome. A foreground single brick would be a good addition becuase then we could make broken down walls in the foreground. Also some foreground plants would be amazing; to fight behind a tree or a bush.
4 x

Shock
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Content-maker
SFD Account: Shock
Started SFD: Pre-Alpha 1.2.0.

Post by Shock » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:37 pm

Here is a few of my ideas dear friends...

1.ClientSideCameraTrigger
Will follow each player separately.
-Ability to set the radius of individual tracking
-Ability to turn off the visibility of nicknames that are outside the camera or outside of other players
-Ability to set the time of tracking , lowering - camera will move fluidly , and increasing - instantly.

2.WeatherZoneTrigger
Weather , which will be located in a certain area
-Snow , Rain
-Ability to disable and enable the trigger
For example, in the adventure maps , when you approach the boss , the rain begins.

*3.ImpactDamageTakenModifier improve
-The ability to enable a soft landing
-Ability to set the height of safe drop.

4.LandingTrigger
-The area , where player will land safely.
-Ability to set the height of safe drop.

*5.PlayerCommandTrigger improve
-The ability to put the nearest "source player"
-Ability to set the visibility radius of player , for bot.

6.EffectTrigger
-Ability to use all game effects.

Thank you for your attention.
8 x
-Content-maker.

JakSparro98
Superfighter
Superfighter
Started SFD: PreAlpha 1.0.5

Post by JakSparro98 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:23 pm

Shock wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:37 pm
Here is a few of my ideas dear friends...
*cough* the first idea was mine *cough*
Anyway, the client camera is a really nice name to get the point of his use.
0 x

Robert550
Meatbag
SFD Account: Robert

Post by Robert550 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:19 pm

! Message from: KliPeH
Merged a standalone thread with this one. Note some of the replies below refer to this post (used to be a thread) and not the main topic.
What do you think about a maker that can change the weight of the tile? with it you can add or decrease the weight of the object with this you can make a tile 8x8 crush everything apparently This seems a not so good idea that has other methods but for what I was thinking this would be necessary so what do you think?
0 x
you die in the end

Scraper
Fighter
Fighter
SFD Account: Scrapper
SFD Alias: Scrapper
Started SFD: PreAlpha 1.7.1
Post by Scraper » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:36 pm

This can be made with Scripting.
0 x

Robert550
Meatbag
SFD Account: Robert

Post by Robert550 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:41 pm

Oh really? Could not you help me with this?
0 x
you die in the end

Katrtlen
Fighter
Fighter
SFD Account: Gayfish
Started SFD: Few months after release
Post by Katrtlen » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:28 pm

Please add more cursor options while testing a map in editor. Till now you are only able to move objects with LMB, i though of more ways to affect on objects and players:

Click on any object with RMB to open a context menu, here are the commands:
  • Destroy: Destroy an object.
  • Total Destroy: Completely destroy an object, this means that it will make breakable objects don't leave any debris or destroyed versions.
  • Ignite: Make an object start burning.
  • Activate: Activate an activatable object like Button00
  • Hurt: Deal enough damage to object to make it turn gray. Doesn't affect player.
  • Burn: Only on players. It will set them on large fire instead of small fire which can be done using Ignite option.
Some options may not appear on certain objects because they will be useless. Using Ignite or Burn option on dead body will make it burned.
1 x
Green buttons are good

JakSparro98
Superfighter
Superfighter

Post by JakSparro98 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:42 pm

Katrtlen wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:28 pm
Please add more cursor options while testing a map in editor. Till now you are only able to move objects with LMB, i though of more ways to affect on objects and players:

Click on any object with RMB to open a context menu, here are the commands:
  • Destroy: Destroy an object.
  • Total Destroy: Completely destroy an object, this means that it will make breakable objects don't leave any debris or destroyed versions.
  • Ignite: Make an object start burning.
  • Activate: Activate an activatable object like Button00
  • Hurt: Deal enough damage to object to make it turn gray. Doesn't affect player.
  • Burn: Only on players. It will set them on large fire instead of small fire which can be done using Ignite option.
Some options may not appear on certain objects because they will be useless. Using Ignite or Burn option on dead body will make it burned.
The current mouse debug mode is derived from original Box2D library, maybe only adapted to work in the SFD editor, the mode can also show the collision boxes of the objects with AltGr, stopping the mouse tracking at the same time (same done with Ctrl but it won't show the collision boxes though).

Adding all of these options you said it's possible with scripts, the only thing devs should add would be a way to read mouse and keyboard keystrokes (as already said in other threads, it's more likely they will add only keyboard reading rather than both) and then I could even provide you something like what you wanted.
1 x

Cherrybowl
Meatbag
SFD Account: homie

Post by Cherrybowl » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:32 pm

I think invisible portals would be a cool addition. I want to make a level with pipes you can jump in to get teleported somewhere else but it doesn't work with the normal portals.
Or maybe a transparency slider.
0 x

JakSparro98
Superfighter
Superfighter

Post by JakSparro98 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:05 am

Cherrybowl wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:32 pm
I think invisible portals would be a cool addition. I want to make a level with pipes you can jump in to get teleported somewhere else but it doesn't work with the normal portals.
Or maybe a transparency slider.
simple and crude script for this. :D

There's nothing wrong with your idea but, really, it can be done simply with a small script, if you will post your request in the script API section, we will provide you a solution for your problem.
0 x

Heli0s
Meatbag
SFD Account: rikooreix
SFD Alias: Heli0s

Post by Heli0s » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:23 pm

My Suggestion/ Idea are Easy Doors, Which you can place in editor and dont do anything with scripts, Doors could be Closed and Opened (Obvious) and destroyable depending on material/thickness of the door, They would block throwables, Bullets (Depends which), players when closed
Type of doors:
Old Wooden Door
One hit from punch/kick to break
Size: Same as the Super Fighters
Every Bullets can go through
Wooden door
3 Hits from melee to break
Size: One block bigger than Super Fighter
Bigger caliber than 9mm pistols, So only pistols cant shoot through it.
Iron Door
Explosives can break it
Size: Wooden door size
Nothing can shoot through.
Titanium Door
Cant break it
Size: Bigger than wooden door
Cant shoot through this door

They would be usefull to and knockback Throwables, block bullets and bring realism to buildings.
4 x
I learned his weakness... Its bullets

Venom
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Faaking Jhesus
SFD Alias: jajajaja sadasdjasiojd
Started SFD: When it was fun
Post by Venom » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:49 am

nice suggestion but i don't think titanium doors are needed...
2 x
YOU FAAKING BITH NIGR BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU DO YOU ARE FAAKING YOUR FAAKING LIFE

IF YOU FAAKING FAAKING WITH TIME I WILL FAAKING COME AND KILL YOU BITH YOU DED :evil: