Dear forum users! In compliance with the new European GDPR regulations, we'd just like to inform you that if you have an account, your email address is stored in our database. We do not share your information with third parties, and your email address and password are encrypted for security reasons.

New to the forum? Say hello in this topic! Also make sure to read the rules.

The editor needs a single-pixel object

Give us your input on how we may improve the game in future versions.
Forum rules
By using the forum you agree to the following rules. For this forum you also need to follow these additional rules.
Del Poncho
Superfighter
Superfighter
Started SFD: July 2012 (1.0.5)

The editor needs a single-pixel object

Post by Del Poncho » Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:33 pm

Whenever a map creator needs to create something that hasn't been already created by Hjarpe (this post is a good example), he has to use a bunch of gimmicks to achieve a simple drawing. Using bg tiles, bg text, etc.

If we had an object that consists of a single pixel, that could be colored anyway we want, creating small new assets for every need would be definitely easier.
If I want to decorate a room with something that isn't already in the game, I can create a small piece of pixel art, pixel by pixel. If I need an object with a specific shape, I can do the same.

The best possible way to do this, would be to have one of these pixels (possibly in various sizes) in each section of the map editor (FarBG, BG, Objects, Solid Tiles, etc), and with as many colours as possible.
10 x
The risk I took was caluclated, but man.....am I bad at math.

Shock
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Content-maker
SFD Account: Shock
Started SFD: Pre-Alpha 1.2.0.

Post by Shock » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:00 pm

In general, the creation of our objects by using other in-game ones connected and the possibility to save them would also be a cool idea. Like custom objects/bg or something.
0 x
-Content-maker.

Del Poncho
Superfighter
Superfighter
Started SFD: July 2012 (1.0.5)

Post by Del Poncho » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:44 pm

Shock wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:00 pm
In general, the creation of our objects by using other in-game ones connected and the possibility to save them would also be a cool idea. Like custom objects/bg or something.
As long as it's made by connecting multiple existing objects, all you have to do is copy paste it. If it's something that comes out of the game, it's a completely different story.
0 x
The risk I took was caluclated, but man.....am I bad at math.

hyper copter
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Leave my profile alone.
SFD Account: Hyper
SFD Alias: Hyper

Post by hyper copter » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:16 pm

I totally agree. I see adding a single-pixel object as a huge expandation for map making and map makers.
0 x
''The great thing about multitasking is that several things can go wrong at once."
- Andrew B. Sweger.

StarNord
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: SelfProclaimed LvL99 Suggester
SFD Account: StarNord
SFD Alias: Sunny Citizen
Started SFD: A lil' Before Pre-Alpha 1.6.0

Post by StarNord » Sat May 04, 2019 12:28 am

Since there is a steam workshop for SFD now, my idea I presented at the very end of my "A Pixel Tile" suggestion can actually come to reality.

The devs could add an "objects" category, and a way for players to submit objects they have made in the map editor with pixel tiles to the workshop, so other map makers can use it for their maps, where it'd appear in another tab called "Custom Objects" underneath the "Objects" tab in the map editor

If adding an option like this is too much trouble in the workshop, they could add a "Custom Objects Submissions" tab at the very top left of the map editor (where the "Help" and "Files" tabs are) that would open up a menu where you can search through objects submitted by the SFD community, this alternative would also help players who bought SFD on another platform (if it is even available on other platforms) also have access to object submissions.
Off Topic
Del Poncho wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:33 pm
(this post is a good example)
Man, I knew I shouldn't have made my "A Pixel Tile" post in the obscure "Map Editor Suggestions" thread otherwise I'd be here! (and who knows, maybe my post was moved there by a pesky mod!)
0 x
Go On, Click Away. Signatures Are For Fools Who Haven't Said Enough! -Karl Marx if he had an internet connection