Dear forum users! In compliance with the new European GDPR regulations, we'd just like to inform you that if you have an account, your email address is stored in our database. We do not share your information with third parties, and your email address and password are encrypted for security reasons.

New to the forum? Say hello in this topic! Also make sure to read the rules.

Weapon idea: Bow and arrow

Give us your input on how we may improve the game in future versions.
Forum rules
By using the forum you agree to the following rules. For this forum you also need to follow these additional rules.
Kyra
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Do your homework.
SFD Account: Howmork
SFD Alias: [JOY] Howmork
Started SFD: Around 1.2.0

Re: Weapon idea: Bow and arrow

Post by Kyra » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:27 am

Oh sorry Billy.. I didn't see your post :p *facepalm*
0 x

Pricey
Superfighter
Superfighter
SFD Alias: (LM) Pricey
Started SFD: August 2015

Post by Pricey » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:46 am

I like the idea however one feature i dont agree with is being nailed to a wall. Considering the bow already does around 40 damage, bleeding (whatever that may be) makes it immediately overpowered.

In addition to this, crits should just knock back the player a bit instead of being impaled on a wall.
2 x

Kyra
Superfighter
Superfighter

Post by Kyra » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:07 am

Pricey wrote:I like the idea however one feature i dont agree with is being nailed to a wall. Considering the bow already does around 40 damage, bleeding (whatever that may be) makes it immediately overpowered.

In addition to this, crits should just knock back the player a bit instead of being impaled on a wall.
As I wrote 35 for crit & 30 for a regular shot, 40 is just another sniper weapon. And the drawback would change the damage of the shot. If the bow isn't fully drawn it does less damage (maybe 28, 26, 24, etc) and range. Also, the drawback time (when drawing, you're basically a sitting duck and could be shot anywhere) and arrow drop would balance the weapon. You can't hang on the wall by grabbing on an arrow... It would simply snap :/ Also no point of making another sniper. A bow should be a four shot kill, first of its kind (I think). The arrow drop is key if the bow is added because most good players quickscope when shooting (when you hold the aim button and shoot when the crosshair passes the player). Instead of quickscoping players would have to calculate the arrow drop and timing ('cause arrows move slower than bullets), which provides variety/learning curve to the game. Why would the arrow be invisible and make you bleed? Making the arrow invisible would ruin the humor of arrows sticking out of bodies (I can imagine just like an arrow sticking out of someone's head xD). Making arrows cause players to bleed is too OP, when you don't have a medkit laying around. BUTT it would prevent camping (players bleeds to death while camping). Also, why do we need a crossbow? Crossbow reloads longer, but it does do more damage... I personally think only bows should be added 'cause crossbows would be the slower version of sniper (my opinion :/).
1 x

Pricey
Superfighter
Superfighter

Post by Pricey » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:56 am

Kyra wrote:[...]
I was talking about Billy's bow idea.

Seeing how your bow idea is more revised than that of Billy's, I suggest the devs work off of Kyra's instead of the original posted in this thread (if the devs do consider adding something similar/related to a bow or crossbow). Another idea I forgot to suggest was that the arrow should increase in velocity (this would give a distinct difference from a flare, considering the arrow idea suggested would be a flare with buffed damage), the more the arrow has fallen; the more damage it would give to the player, per se.

However, the arrow charge should most definitely cost stamina, something Kyra forgot to mention in her take of the idea.
1 x

Billy
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Owner of a failed Clan
SFD Account: Billy
SFD Alias: Billy
Started SFD: October 2015

Post by Billy » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:20 pm

Ok, the pinnimg thing was a BAD idea, I agree.
But the bleeding is not ment to be that op I the bleedingdamage should be about 20-30 in total, the bleedingtime about 30 secounds at max.
0 x
Join Delta Squad today, if you mail me now you will get this cool private rank for FREE, but thats not all, you will also get an imaginary Cookie, so better hurry up!
Yea, ehh, that was a big fail...

Duck
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: gogogadgetkeyboard
SFD Account: Shui
Started SFD: Jul 2013

Post by Duck » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:02 pm

They're not going to add bleeding just for one weapon, or just because of one weapon.
This game does not need bleeding in it, period.
3 x
'<'

Guille_dlC
Fighter
Fighter
SFD Account: Guille_dlC
SFD Alias: Ghost
Started SFD: Pre-alpha 1.6.0

Post by Guille_dlC » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:20 pm

But still, whats wrong with a slower sniper? Its just a crossbow. It fires in an arc-ish way. Its like the Sniper Rifle is the Bazooka and the Crossbow is the Grenade Launcher.
The bazooka is to the sniper as the grenade launcher is to the crossbow.
0 x
Remove melee

Kyra
Superfighter
Superfighter

Post by Kyra » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:34 am

Guille_dlC wrote:But still, whats wrong with a slower sniper? Its just a crossbow. It fires in an arc-ish way. Its like the Sniper Rifle is the Bazooka and the Crossbow is the Grenade Launcher.
First of all a bazooka is not a sniper rifle... Bazooka is a one shot kill, and it does splash damage. Sniper rifle is a accurate 2-3 shot kill with 3 bullets in a mag. It also doesn't have splash damage and has a laser sight attached. Also theres no need for repetition. Theres no point of making a "slower sniper" whens theres already a sniper thats better. A bow would beneficial because its a whole new weapon 3-4 shot kill. It uses arrows instead of grenades and its arch isn't the same as the grenade launcher. When shooting you need to pull the string back before shooting unlike guns. It has less arch than a grenade launcher & flare gun. Realistically a crossbow takes a whole lot longer to reload because of its draw weight (if it was added in the game a solid 3.5 seconds for reloading). Also, you dont have to draw the string when shooting because crossbow is preloaded. This makes a crossbow different from a bow and how a bow is more balanced. Just to be clear the bow would have the fastest reload time if it was ever added. You would have to draw the bow (1.2-1.5 sec) before shooting though. Therefore I think the crossbow is a unnecessary weapon because its basicly a arrow type sniper with a super slow reload time. You would need to balance it from its slow reload time, so you would have to increase the damage or add some weird shit that guns don't have. Increasing the damage is unnecessary and would make the crossbow a overpowered weapon even with its slow reloading time (3.5). TBH arrows are not bullets. Bullets overpower arrows and to have a arrow do the same damage as a sniper is awkward.
Some credit to @Pricy for giving damage information!
Hope bows get added ^-^

Added in 31 minutes 15 seconds:
Billy wrote:Ok, the pinnimg thing was a BAD idea, I agree.
But the bleeding is not ment to be that op I the bleedingdamage should be about 20-30 in total, the bleedingtime about 30 secounds at max.
Like Duck said before, bleeding is unnecessary... How does a slow ass arrow that doesnt go stright make you bleed when a faster more impact damage bullet is in the game? Btw 20-30 bleeding damage is way overpowered, "period". 30 damage is a shot from a bow and you can't just let someone bleed to death in combat. If you add the damage of a shot and the bleeding damage it = 60 damage. A snipers bullet does 40-45 damage without bleeding. Health is also rare in maps, so if someone gets the bow the player automaticly wins... You shoot arrows and then camp to let the other players bleed to death. This encourages camping which IS BAD. Even if bleeding was added in the game 30 secs would be way too long. A match in Crates ( by Lampone) is about 1 minutes 30 seconds (If no one camps). A third of the time you would be bleeding, not only that if you got shot again the bleeding time would be 60 SECONDS. Bleeding is compleatly unnecessary, but if you want it just use a script (Battle Script by #Othocorp Team has bleeding & other cool things).
Hope bows get added ^-^
0 x

Guille_dlC
Fighter
Fighter
SFD Account: Guille_dlC
SFD Alias: Ghost
Started SFD: Pre-alpha 1.6.0

Post by Guille_dlC » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:53 pm

Kyra wrote:
Guille_dlC wrote:But still, whats wrong with a slower sniper? Its just a crossbow. It fires in an arc-ish way. Its like the Sniper Rifle is the Bazooka and the Crossbow is the Grenade Launcher.
First of all a bazooka is not a sniper rifle... Bazooka is a one shot kill, and it does splash damage. Sniper rifle is a accurate 2-3 shot kill with 3 bullets in a mag. It also doesn't have splash damage and has a laser sight attached. Also theres no need for repetition. Theres no point of making a "slower sniper" whens theres already a sniper thats better. A bow would beneficial because its a whole new weapon 3-4 shot kill. It uses arrows instead of grenades and its arch isn't the same as the grenade launcher. When shooting you need to pull the string back before shooting unlike guns. It has less arch than a grenade launcher & flare gun. Realistically a crossbow takes a whole lot longer to reload because of its draw weight (if it was added in the game a solid 3.5 seconds for reloading). Also, you dont have to draw the string when shooting because crossbow is preloaded. This makes a crossbow different from a bow and how a bow is more balanced. Just to be clear the bow would have the fastest reload time if it was ever added. You would have to draw the bow (1.2-1.5 sec) before shooting though. Therefore I think the crossbow is a unnecessary weapon because its basicly a arrow type sniper with a super slow reload time. You would need to balance it from its slow reload time, so you would have to increase the damage or add some weird shit that guns don't have. Increasing the damage is unnecessary and would make the crossbow a overpowered weapon even with its slow reloading time (3.5). TBH arrows are not bullets. Bullets overpower arrows and to have a arrow do the same damage as a sniper is awkward.
Some credit to @Pricy for giving damage information!
Hope bows get added ^-^
I was saying that the sniper is to the bazooka as the crossbow would be with the grenade launcher. What Im trying to say is that the sniper is as similar to the bazooka as the crossbow would be with the grenade launcher. And anyways, Im not trying to "unbalance" the game, Im just saying that a stronger bow, (not sniper damage, I didnt say that) would be better, because it would make gameplay more interesting and varied.
2 x
Remove melee

Kyra
Superfighter
Superfighter

Post by Kyra » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:00 am

Guille_dlC wrote: I was saying that the sniper is to the bazooka as the crossbow would be with the grenade launcher. What Im trying to say is that the sniper is as similar to the bazooka as the crossbow would be with the grenade launcher. And anyways, Im not trying to "unbalance" the game, Im just saying that a stronger bow, (not sniper damage, I didnt say that) would be better, because it would make gameplay more interesting and varied.
My bad, I didn't quite understand your post. But a stronger bow would have how much damage? I was thinking of 30-35 because that seems good for a bow. Anything above would be a sniper. Also having the arrow curve, bow drawback time, velocity damage, range, and timing would make it "more interesting and varied".
0 x

ill
Fighter
Fighter
Title: Bannaned
SFD Account: ill
SFD Alias: Spider
Started SFD: When Sector 8 was official
Post by ill » Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:47 am

I have discussed with multiple people on the discord chat and I've seen many talking about this possible feature that might add fun and... diversity. Maybe it's not what the game needs right now, because there are more things to repair, but as a far future feature, Bow and arrows seem very fun and exciting for me and others.

You have a bow that can be used as a primary weapon when it has ammo, but as a melee weapon when it is out of ammo. When it has arrows, it should NOT have a durability bar.
When it is out of arrows, the primary weapon turns into a melee, and therefore now has a durability bar, the bow eventually breaks due to repeated beating.
Damage:
When it is used as a primary weapon with arrows, in my opinion, it could have just a bit lower damage than a sniper rifle. If not the same. When it is used as a melee weapon, one hit could deal around 15. Or it could hurt just as much as a baton hurts.

Now moving on to the fun part, the arrows. Oh boy they have some potential.
The bow is a weapon with charge. The charge though, shouldn't have a very big difference of power. A full charge of a bow string should launch the arrow straighter than the grenade-launcher projectile physics. That dealing around 35-40 damage. Keep in mind that although the full charge shot has a curved trajectory, it will look straight from a short distance, because in real life, at short distances, arrows can be shot with pinpoint accuracy.

Now at low charge, damage will decrease, and the curved trajectory will increase, leaving gravity to pull the arrow harder. I still haven't decided how far a weakly charged arrow should go, but i think it shouldn't be VERY or too far from the fully charged one. Because why would you shoot an arrow that can only go less than 8-10 meters.
Anyway, continuing with the arrow part, the arrow ammunition. I personally am convinced it should be around 15 arrows. And here's why:
1. When you prepare to shoot an arrow, if you're interrupted by a melee hit or a thrown object hit, an arrow is dropped on the floor, failing the shot. That could happen many times.
And 2. Because of the curved trajectory, at long distances, the bow is not as accurate as a sniper rifle, therefore you will need more arrows than a sniper rifle to hit a target.

On to a more very fun part, the arrows SHOULD DEFINITELY, with no exception, should be grabbable.
Arrows WILL HAVE TO pin into the wall tiles and big objects, like crates and barrels. And the other players SHOULD be able to grab those arrows from their spot in which they're stuck into, and be able to use them as makeshift AND throwable weapons, if not actually use them as their own Bow ammunition.
If a player grabs an arrow, he can use it as a melee weapon that should deal 10 or less damage, BUT it should deal 20/25 damage if the arrow is THROWN. Perhaps it will have a durability bar when used as a makeshift weapon.
If a player HAS a bow, the arrow should immediately turn into ammo for the bow he is using, and use it normally.

This is the information and ideas that I've gathered about the bow and arrow feature.
Some people said that a pinned arrow on a wall could act like a temporary platform that can break after 1-2 seconds, but because the angle of a pinned arrow can vary, and the many places an arrow could pin itself into, i think that the game would become buggy, and it would also be unnecessary. Also that's not possible in real life. So I stick to suggesting what I've written above.
Last edited by ill on Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Hjarpe wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:29 am
Gurt says he hates me
Gurt wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:46 pm
It happens
Lunatic wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:45 pm
haha yeah

Pricey
Superfighter
Superfighter

Post by Pricey » Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:11 am

15 fully charged bow shots is around 600 potential damage (more than every primary weapon), plus a melee weapon on top of that, I'd suggest nerfing either the arrow or damage of the arrows and perhaps making the bow equivalent of a makeshift weapon if you really want it to work that way.

My idea for a B&A would be:

1|3 ammo capacity, maximum being 1|4.
--
Minimum 25 damage (with no charge, having no arc), maximum 40 damage (with charge, having a greater arc), charge takes 3 seconds to complete (done by holding down your "Aim" button (default D)).
--
Maximum charge has a 100% crit strike chance
--
Arrows can be makeshift weapons found on some maps (and are also available in the Map Editor to use), arrows are automtically equipped as makeshift weapons if the player does not have a bow present in their inventory or the bow is at full capacity.

-------

A bow and arrow would be a ranged damage dealer due to its distance and arc being created, however it could be used to deal damage up close and perhaps shoot people mid-air to get a guaranteed crit. The bow's arc mechanics should be similar to those in Terraria, although the arc itself would be much smaller. The bow would also have a charge cooldown of around 1000 milliseconds (1 seconds) to prevent it being misused. The charge time also plays a key factor, generating a "risk-and-reward" type scenario. If you manage to receive full charge, you're rewarded with high damage output and a guaranteed crit, however you're risking 3 valuable seconds for someone to come along and beat the shit out of you (which sounds less than it seems, but you can deal great amounts of damage in this time).

The bow would be a primary weapon, and, upon pickup of the weapon, equips a small quiver to the back of the player, the quiver could serve the purpose of showing the amount of arrows a player has, for example, if a player had 1|1 ammo equipped to their bow, the quiver would show two arrows (this would only be visible on ladders and things where sheathed weapons are fully visible). Arrows could also have slightly less power (in the sense of breaking objects) than a magnum bullet, but could not be used to shoot down dynamic concrete sections (such as that in Police Station or Facility), or ignite explosive barrels/cans, but could still break crates and barrels like normal bullets would.

All in all, this weapon would not be a powerhouse weapon like the M60 or Sniper Rifle (as most people have suggested it to be), but rather a middle-tier weapon used from behind cover and at long range, while still being able to hold itself up at close range.
1 x

Kyra
Superfighter
Superfighter

Post by Kyra » Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:47 am

The question is... Are we making a new sniper thats 2-3 shots? Or a new weapon thats 3-4 shots? Remember Pricy said full drawback is a guaranteed crit, so which is more balanced?

Damage is a key role in making a weapon balanced. Making another version of the sniper isnt neccesary, so damage should be 20-35. Crit would be around 40. The more you draw the more damage the arrow deals. So when in close combat you can just draw a arrow and release after a half second. It would deal around 20 damage and not go far.

Why make a bow a melee or makeshift weapon too? Just use the melee weapon you eather have (probably does more damage), or your fists. If it is melee too, doesnt it have durability? I would rather use 20 damage shots then melee with a low damage makeshift weapon.

Adding a quiver is also going to take work. Climbing ladders, left stance, right stance, dead body (with quiver on back), grabbing player (with quiver on back), etc. You know arrows can be on your bow, or in your hands while shooting. Although we have the fancy hat.. + quiver = Robin Hood. <:D Quiver would be cool to see added.

Ammunition is another way to balance a weapon. I personaly think the bow should have 8 shots. This is nice and clean, even, and sexy. It would look like 1|7, and would provide at least 1 kill or none :/ You should be able to get 2 kills at most, or even 3 if you melee, use the map for fall damage, use your surroundings, etc.

Many people been talking about if a arrow should go through crates, or barrels. I think it should just sick on the crate or barrel doing no damage. Like Ill said you should be able to retrieve the arrow from a object like a player, wall, barrel, etc. I dont think the retrieved arrow should be a makshift weapon, but added to your inventory. "added to your inventory" means you can use that arrow again for your bow. The arrow should be able to stick on players. And the player who got shot can pull it out from there body. Possibly dealing damage when pulled out?

Pulling back the atring on the bow costs time, and this also makes the bow more balenced. I think. A 2.5 second draw time is pretty solid expecialy when in combat. It wouls be cool if there was a animation where the player actually pulls back the sting so you know when to let go for the damage and how far it goes. 3 second draw is too long becuase your a sitting duck. But it could be 3 seconds 'cause full drawback = crit. Hitting a crit everytime is op, so it could also be 3 seconds too.

As many people know the arrow has a arch when shot. Many on us play Terraria and know how the bow curves. Like Pricy said "The bow's arc mechanics should be similar to those in Terraria, although the arc itself would be much smaller." I agree with this because there would be no range if the arrow curves too much. People would have to shoot extra carefully because the arrow has travel time and curvature. I dont know if this should be added, but if you shoot atight up shouldnt the arrow fall down? Unlike bullets arrows dont go stright forever...

Reload time... The bow has none! Well it does... I was thinking of just putting the arrow on the bow. I would assume the player would automaticly reload after shooting. Like it would be a hassle to shoot, reload, drawback... Reload should be automatic and cost no time at all considering the drawback time.

I think I covered everything, but tell me what I missed... Bleeding isnt going to be a thing tbh

Added in 13 minutes 52 seconds:
Oh forgot about blocking... Blocking a arrow would just cause it to drop.. Its impossible to deflect a arrow. Once it drops it can still do damage to anything below it. Also now the arrow is on a object you can pick it up...
2 x

ill
Fighter
Fighter
Title: Bannaned
SFD Account: ill
SFD Alias: Spider
Started SFD: When Sector 8 was official
Post by ill » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:42 am

While we all discuss about the bow and arrow, i would strongly suggest this video as a great source of inspiration. Some people say this guy has his own way of archery, but the results are more than obviously succesful.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BEG-ly9tQGk

Added in 50 minutes 50 seconds:
Re: Weapon idea: Bow and arrow,
Kyra wrote:The question is... Are we making a new sniper thats 2-3 shots? Or a new weapon thats 3-4 shots? Remember Pricy said full drawback is a guaranteed crit, so which is more balanced?

Damage is a key role in making a weapon balanced. Making another version of the sniper isnt neccesary, so damage should be 20-35. Crit would be around 40. The more you draw the more damage the arrow deals. So when in close combat you can just draw a arrow and release after a half second. It would deal around 20 damage and not go far.

Why make a bow a melee or makeshift weapon too? Just use the melee weapon you eather have (probably does more damage), or your fists. If it is melee too, doesnt it have durability? I would rather use 20 damage shots then melee with a low damage makeshift weapon.

Adding a quiver is also going to take work. Climbing ladders, left stance, right stance, dead body (with quiver on back), grabbing player (with quiver on back), etc. You know arrows can be on your bow, or in your hands while shooting. Although we have the fancy hat.. + quiver = Robin Hood. <:D Quiver would be cool to see added.

Ammunition is another way to balance a weapon. I personaly think the bow should have 8 shots. This is nice and clean, even, and sexy. It would look like 1|7, and would provide at least 1 kill or none :/ You should be able to get 2 kills at most, or even 3 if you melee, use the map for fall damage, use your surroundings, etc.

Many people been talking about if a arrow should go through crates, or barrels. I think it should just sick on the crate or barrel doing no damage. Like Ill said you should be able to retrieve the arrow from a object like a player, wall, barrel, etc. I dont think the retrieved arrow should be a makshift weapon, but added to your inventory. "added to your inventory" means you can use that arrow again for your bow. The arrow should be able to stick on players. And the player who got shot can pull it out from there body. Possibly dealing damage when pulled out?

Pulling back the atring on the bow costs time, and this also makes the bow more balenced. I think. A 2.5 second draw time is pretty solid expecialy when in combat. It wouls be cool if there was a animation where the player actually pulls back the sting so you know when to let go for the damage and how far it goes. 3 second draw is too long becuase your a sitting duck. But it could be 3 seconds 'cause full drawback = crit. Hitting a crit everytime is op, so it could also be 3 seconds too.

As many people know the arrow has a arch when shot. Many on us play Terraria and know how the bow curves. Like Pricy said "The bow's arc mechanics should be similar to those in Terraria, although the arc itself would be much smaller." I agree with this because there would be no range if the arrow curves too much. People would have to shoot extra carefully because the arrow has travel time and curvature. I dont know if this should be added, but if you shoot atight up shouldnt the arrow fall down? Unlike bullets arrows dont go stright forever...

Reload time... The bow has none! Well it does... I was thinking of just putting the arrow on the bow. I would assume the player would automaticly reload after shooting. Like it would be a hassle to shoot, reload, drawback... Reload should be automatic and cost no time at all considering the drawback time.

I think I covered everything, but tell me what I missed... Bleeding isnt going to be a thing tbh

Added in 13 minutes 52 seconds:
Oh forgot about blocking... Blocking a arrow would just cause it to drop.. Its impossible to deflect a arrow. Once it drops it can still do damage to anything below it. Also now the arrow is on a object you can pick it up...

I reevaluated the damage for bow and arrow. I think it should decrease to 30 damage with 15 arrows. Less arrows will never support us on the battlefield and here's why.

Having a 30x15=450 damage weapon will be alright. There are more things to take into account considering that the m60 has 100 bullets and 8 damage per bullet. 800 potential damage. 800!!!
If we would compare the possible bow and arrow to have 30 damage per shot, it would take 4 arrows to kill, depending on the fire rate. with 15 arrows you could kill 4 more players. And let me say that you could potentially kill 3-4 players. You will almost NEVER have the perfect accuracy to fire an arrow so well to always have a successful hit. So if we make the bow and arrow like this, i don't think it would be too overpowered, and in no case at all be able to surpass the m60, or a sniper rifle, in terms of efficiency. Also when i imagine getting hit with an arrow, i don't imagine falling down and getting knocked down. Do you know the animation you have when you receive the last combo hit of the punch combo? When you block that final hit, you move slightly backwards, at least when you block that last hit. I honestly think that this should be the arrow effect. Not knock-down or stun. Because a muscly trained superfighter holding an huge m60 shooting with rage would be shot with an arrow, it would hurt, but it wouldn't make him fall, won't make him drop his weapon or he won't be thrown on the ground.

I think this explanation is logical and i wouldn't compare bow and arrow with a sniper rifle. The sniper rifle has zero aim spread. An arrow has an arched trajectory. i don't think it will be " the next sniper rifle" because it has less damage and the curved gravity-pulled arrow trajectory. It doesn't shoot straight, and it surely doesn't kill all the lobby members with all the arrows, like the m60 has the potential of killing everyone in the lobby. A weapon never always successfully hits the target with all its ammunition. Many people say m60 is an overpowered weapon, and the strongest in the game. I was personally able to kill 5-6 players in a game, in 5 different occasions it's not hard to abuse with the m60, especially at low range. And i think that the bow and arrow would be a perfect combatant to both m60 and the sniper rifle even though i said we should not compare it with them altogether. I said we should not compare their efficiency not their nemesis. It will still be a good counter-weapon for those, in my opinion.
Last edited by ill on Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Hjarpe wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:29 am
Gurt says he hates me
Gurt wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:46 pm
It happens
Lunatic wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:45 pm
haha yeah

Lunatic
Title: I hope Klipeh bans himself
SFD Alias: (LM) Lunatic
Started SFD: 1.0.5 Pre-Alpha

Post by Lunatic » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:38 am

Dude, I really can't take you seriously right now. What you're describing is a power weapon, but then you compare it to the strongest weapon in the game and claim that it's not overpowered. You also claim the weapon isn't the next sniper despite doing ~1/3rd player HP with one shot. Hello, that's a sniper rifle. The Magnum doesn't deal sniper damage but thanks to high damage + accuracy, the Magnum is essentially a better sniper rifle with slightly less damage.

You really can't make arrows follow a curved trajectory and then suddenly claim that their accuracy is shit and much worse than the sniper rifle. I don't know if you remember the grenade launcher but it was probably the second best weapon in the game before it's accuracy nerf. Seriously, the arc had no deviance. You could always hit someone with it spot-on and it was brutal. I'd recommend the bow have no deviance in trajectory just for it to function properly, but it doesn't mean players can't aim the weapon. I don't know where you're pulling that from.

Your weapon is essentially a sniper rifle. Stop denying it. Stop comparing it to the M60 (The shotgun is essentially the worst weapon in the game, the M60 can kill everyone in the lobby with bullets to spare and the shotgun can only kill 2) and stop claiming it's accuracy is so awful. A bow shouldn't be inaccurate, it's not how the weapon usually functions.

And finally, for the record: Power weapon =/= overpowered weapon. Spawn rates and effectiveness separate power weapons from regular weapons. An overpowered weapon is a weapon that performs over others of it's class. If you add a pistol that deals double damage and make it spawn as often as regular pistols, that's an overpowered weapon. Hell, the sawed off was essentially an overpowered weapon before reload animations were put in place (You could shoot someone 5 times without retaliation before being forced to wait to reload). The bow's effectiveness and potential, as described, tells me the weapon would be a power weapon. Definitely not an M60, and more accurate to a sniper rifle with double the damage output.
1 x
Originally posted by Gurt
SFD BADASS! 8-)

Jojopeterjohn
Fighter
Fighter
Title: Person
SFD Account: SuperFunk
SFD Alias: Jojopeterjohn
Started SFD: Since the original SF

Post by Jojopeterjohn » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:41 pm

I think this is a good idea if you ditch the massive damage and the whole "bleeding" thing.
0 x
"What?"
-Albert Einstein

The Redeemer
Fighter
Fighter
Title: The Redeemer
SFD Alias: The Redeemer
Started SFD: ???
Post by The Redeemer » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:30 pm

amazing suggestion billy here is a picture i made to resemble what type of quivers you could use if a bow was added.i actually make bows i have even sold a few so i know a lot about bows/archery it would be awesome if they added some type of a bow even if it was a cross bow now forgive how my writing looks i had to use junky paint app so make sure to zoom in a little to read the text better but any how let me know what you think

http://imgur.com/a/dQdto

also check out this link this are how some of these quivers are attached to bows

http://imgur.com/a/nNl5o

i really hope some type of bow gets added and again billy awesome suggestion/idea :mrgreen:
1 x

btelchi
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: . . .
SFD Account: @btelchi
SFD Alias: I've got plenty
Started SFD: PreAlpha
Post by btelchi » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:54 pm

Hjarpe wrote:We may add a bow at some point, call it a stretch goal. Feel free to discuss what other unique properties it should have :)
How about you can fight with arrows? Pluses, Minuses: -Break fast, -Half or less damage (maybe like a knife), -High chance of stucking in the player; +You can climb with it (or if you have 2 arrows), +If stuck you can get it from the dead body and reuse as a melee/ammo, +Fast attack speed, +Shooting a bow even half damage will take time, better take an arrow and stab someone with it a couple of times with half of the damage.
0 x
Join our agency today. Copy AAT ayy
https://discord.gg/rB3GgCt
America is a tune, it must be sung together.

Kyra
Superfighter
Superfighter

Post by Kyra » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:43 am

Honestly were making Bows & Arrows way too complicated. A bow is a bow. Arrows stick on objects + people and arrows can be recollected. No 15 arrow bullshet, no melee damage from bows or arrows. When you shoot, there's a drawback time and an arch that the arrow follows. Takes 4 shots no crits to kill someone. Appreciate the simple things.
0 x

Billy
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Owner of a failed Clan
SFD Account: Billy
SFD Alias: Billy
Started SFD: October 2015

Post by Billy » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:47 am

Yea thats true, all these ideas were pretty overcomplicated.
BUT I would like to stick to one more idea:
The climbing on arrows
An arrow should last for ~0.5 seconds, you can ledgegrab them to use them as an 1 time ladder.
0 x
Join Delta Squad today, if you mail me now you will get this cool private rank for FREE, but thats not all, you will also get an imaginary Cookie, so better hurry up!
Yea, ehh, that was a big fail...