Dear forum users! In compliance with the new European GDPR regulations, we'd just like to inform you that if you have an account, your email address is stored in our database. We do not share your information with third parties, and your email address and password are encrypted for security reasons.

New to the forum? Say hello in this topic! Also make sure to read the rules.

New Weapon: IFEX® 3001 Impulse Gun

Give us your input on how we may improve the game in future versions.
Forum rules
By using the forum you agree to the following rules. For this forum you also need to follow these additional rules.
KliPeH
Title: [happy moth noises]
SFD Account: KliPeH
Started SFD: Pre-Alpha 1.4.2

New Weapon: IFEX® 3001 Impulse Gun

Post by KliPeH » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:12 pm

// Intro

"The IFEX® Impulse firefighting gun was developed as an extremely versatile tool for fire brigades and rescue teams all over the world. With small quantities of water, these highly effective firefighting devices are able to extinguish even large fires. The high discharge speed of more than 400 km/h and the large cooling surface allow an effective firefighting application from a safe distance. [...]"

The IFEX 3001 Impulse Gun will be introduced to the game as the first ranged non-lethal weapon.

Its main purpose will be to distance opponents from the user and their teammates. As a bonus it will be able to maintain its real-life role as an effective means to extinguishing fires (this will be done instantly in-game to keep the feature useful). The short blast area of the weapon will deal no damage but will instead stop opponents dead in their tracks and fling them back over large distances; the closer the player is to the barrel when shot, the farther away they will be flung.

Angled properly, a player intercepted from below or from mid-air can be potentially shot off-map, or flung through multiple objects and dealt fatal fall damage.

// Main Features
  • The IFEX 3001 will not make use of any existing long-range projectile. It will shoot in a cone and will be limited by range[1]. The cone can consist of SteamSpawner nodes, or similar-looking nodes colored in blue to represent water, or any other variation thereof.
    Here's a (very bad) demonstration:
    ► Show Spoiler
  • The closer the player is to the barrel the higher their flight velocity will be when they're pushed back. This is represented by colors in the image above; being in the red area when shot throws players back very far, in the orange half that, in the green players will only be staggered and disarmed[2].
  • No physical damage is dealt to players present in any area of the cone.[3]
  • Fire nodes present in any area of the cone will be removed instantly. The (previously) burnt items will remain intact[4] but will not be repaired.
  • If a player (or a fire node) are outside the short area of effect they will not be affected.
  • Will be placed in the primary (3rd) weapon slot.
  • Can fire 5 blasts[5]. The weapon will be automatically cycled in a similar fashion to a pump-action shotgun after each blast as to avoid abuse.
  • Can be considered a power weapon due to its potential to instakill enemies. Since the flamethrower is also a power weapon (and can be seen as its counterpart, setting things on fire), the chances to encounter either should be similar.
// Balancing

[1] Width/length of the cone can be reduced/increased as seen fit.

[2] Flight velocity from being shot out of each area can be altered as seen fit (e.g red - 100%, orange - 75%, green - 25%).

[3] Players close to the barrel (red area) can be dealt some damage (say, equal to that of a punch). Damage output from the weapon itself can be introduced but shouldn't be high to keep the weapon non-lethal (that is the whole point of it).

[4] Wooden objects in the red area can be destroyed instantly (that way the weapon can also be used as a cover-remover).
This can constitute as a nerf - forcing players to reconsider firing the weapon at nearby objects.

[5] Ammo count can be reduced to 3 to increase the value of each shot. Kind of finicky since a smaller ammo reserve will incentivize players to ditch the weapon to use another.
19 x

King Proshka
Fighter
Fighter
Post by King Proshka » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:25 pm

What about thrown grenades and mines and other objects like thrown chair?
1 x
Typical boi who have an idea

KliPeH

Post by KliPeH » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:32 pm

King Proshka wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:25 pm
What about thrown grenades and mines and other objects like thrown chair?
Good point! IMO the blast should be able to shoot grenades out of the air and deflect them back with a force stronger than that of the bat, just as an added feature of the weapon. I'd say it should also be able to deflect thrown items but I don't think such an interaction is possible in the box2D world as of today.
2 x

Lunatic
Title: I hope Klipeh bans himself
SFD Alias: (LM) Lunatic
Started SFD: 1.0.5 Pre-Alpha

Post by Lunatic » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:02 am

Honestly just giving it enough pushing power on all things it blasts against would knock back grenades and thrown objects. Sounds like good fun!
2 x
Originally posted by Gurt
SFD BADASS! 8-)

MOOADAM
Superfighter
Superfighter
SFD Account: MOOADAM
SFD Alias: General Bird or MOOADAM
Post by MOOADAM » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:46 am

I'm so gonna love FORCE PUSHING people with this (and getting pushed of course)
I also instantly had a thought/idea, if my teammate were to dive from above me, could I push them (and they stay in dive mode) so they fly into the enemy or just to a far distance without slamming into the wall and dying?
1 x

KliPeH

Post by KliPeH » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:59 am

MOOADAM wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:46 am
[...] I also instantly had a thought/idea, if my teammate were to dive from above me, could I push them (and they stay in dive mode) so they fly into the enemy or just to a far distance without slamming into the wall and dying?
I'm not sure that would work. The blast is supposed to put you into a staggering state as soon as it connects in order to launch you and deal damage, following the logic of the engine. That would prevent the dive from continuing.
3 x

TheOriginalCj
Title: Lifetime Sentence to SF Wiki
SFD Alias: RedneckJed
Started SFD: PreAlpha 1.1.0

Post by TheOriginalCj » Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:27 am

This would actually be pretty cool to see. It compliments the chaotic aesthetic of the game very nicely.
2 x
Superfighters Wiki Founder
The Superfighters Wiki
Join the Wiki!
Danger Ross wrote: What are you doing here wiki-slave?! GET BACK TO WORK!

Vitamin E
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Completely Neutral
Started SFD: around 2012
Post by Vitamin E » Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:03 am

I like this unique weapon idea. I’m in support of any weapon that has increased knockback. Making corpses fly is always funny

This could also lead into insane combos such as launching someone into the air and hitting them with a knife mid-air
0 x