Dear forum users! In compliance with the new European GDPR regulations, we'd just like to inform you that if you have an account, your email address is stored in our database. We do not share your information with third parties, and your email address and password are encrypted for security reasons.

New to the forum? Say hello in this topic! Also make sure to read the rules.

Testing a new mode "Contest"

Give us your input on how we may improve the game in future versions.
Forum rules
By using the forum you agree to the following rules. For this forum you also need to follow these additional rules.
Gurt
Lead Programmer
Lead Programmer
Title: Lead programmer
Started SFD: Made it!

Testing a new mode "Contest"

Post by Gurt » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:14 pm

Testing a new mode I just call "Contest".

I have finally created a server to try out a new mode in the game, just called "Contest" for now.
It's a custom script I have been working on (as mentioned in the past status update https://mythologicinteractiveforums.com ... =25&t=3517) running on a versus server setup that changes the rules to the following:
* You need to contest a blue box (an abstract marked area) that spawns somewhere in the map.
* Once captured you will gain score over time. Reaching a score of 60 and being alone in the box wins you the match.
* If the time runs out before anyone wins the one with the highest score wins.
* You gain bonus score by contesting the area each time it spawns somewhere on the map. Contesting means that two or more opponents are in the box at the same time.
* You respawn after 6 seconds when you die. Dying increases the next time you respawn with +2 seconds up to a maximum of 12 seconds.
* 4 slots open for starters.

* The server is running the Team Rotation script to have some free-for-all and teamplay.

The server is named "Blurry's Contest" and uses port 52232.
To leave some feedback directly in the server type /FEEDBACK followed by your message in the chat.

If this mode turns out fun we will consider it as a permanent addition to the game - as it changes the play style from "last man standing" to "kind of the hill" kind of style.
To have a discussion about this mode as a permanent addition to the game use this forum.

Keep in mind that this is not the final version of the script or this mode as a whole and we're looking for feedback if you ever get the time to play. I intend to release the script in the Steam workshop after some initial play-testing on the "Contest Test" server first.
14 x
Gurt

Pricey
Superfighter
Superfighter
SFD Alias: (LM) Pricey
Started SFD: August 2015

Post by Pricey » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:09 pm

Played this mode for like 20 minutes with a few randoms and I can say, even with random players, that this gamemode was VERY enjoyable. It's nice to see a King of the Hill-esque script that works well and also isn't just staying inside the box and winning.
0 x

Ab Hab
Fighter
Fighter
SFD Account: Ab Hab
Started SFD: The year NBA 2K14 came out

Post by Ab Hab » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:16 am

This is a super keen game mode! But bland compliments aren't really helpful for game development, so I guess I'll try to think of something I dislike. Gee
It's not super clear exactly how capturing works, but I wouldn't count that as a fault. Please don't make the mode simpler. I really love the placement of the territory boxes; they normally reside in several different parts of the map and that provides some pretty diverse gameplay, and this game really diversifies the gameplay. Explosives have just become 3 times more effective without needing any more skill. Gotta love this.
1 x

RickAvory
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Sunny City Nationalist
SFD Account: Rick Avory
SFD Alias: (EA) Rick Avory
Started SFD: Sep 2016

Post by RickAvory » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:29 am

Played it for a few mins. It’s pretty fun! The script needs some work though. Sometimes bots and players would receive the incorrect amount of points (if the points system is based on how long you are in the square). Some one receive more points when it wasn’t deserved. Otherwise fun game mode!
0 x
We must root out the impurities in our midst

Gurt
Lead Programmer
Lead Programmer
Title: Lead programmer
Started SFD: Made it!

Post by Gurt » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:04 am

RickAvory wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:29 am
Played it for a few mins. It’s pretty fun! The script needs some work though. Sometimes bots and players would receive the incorrect amount of points (if the points system is based on how long you are in the square). Some one receive more points when it wasn’t deserved. Otherwise fun game mode!
Contesting means that two or more opponents are in the box at the same time. Bonus points are not given out to the one in the box (alone) the longest time. Always worth fighting over the box.
0 x
Gurt

Powerbombs
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: four dimensional lasagna
SFD Account: Powerbombs
SFD Alias: powerbomb, bomberman
Started SFD: pre alpha 1.2

Post by Powerbombs » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:37 pm

I think the capture point should move after X amount of points have been gained from that location or X amount of deaths. Just a way to keep players moving and eliminating the go-to camping method.
0 x
#RemoveFlamethrower

Del Poncho
Superfighter
Superfighter
Started SFD: July 2012 (1.0.5)

Post by Del Poncho » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:02 pm

Not sure if I'm the only one, but I can't seem to join the server. Works well with the other Blurry tho.
1 x
The risk I took was caluclated, but man.....am I bad at math.

GreenyShark
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Stealing kills from range
SFD Alias: Greeny
Started SFD: PreAlpha 1.7.0

Post by GreenyShark » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:54 am

It would be more of a fun gamemode if the blue boxes weren't static. If I had to stay inside a moving box,
That would lead to more chaos.
1 x

Ab Hab
Fighter
Fighter
SFD Account: Ab Hab
Started SFD: The year NBA 2K14 came out

Post by Ab Hab » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:51 am

Del Poncho wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:02 pm
Not sure if I'm the only one, but I can't seem to join the server. Works well with the other Blurry tho.
The server has a maximum ping of, like, 310
0 x

Del Poncho
Superfighter
Superfighter
Started SFD: July 2012 (1.0.5)

Post by Del Poncho » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:45 pm

Ab Hab wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:51 am
Del Poncho wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:02 pm
The server has a maximum ping of, like, 310
It's not it. I don't even get into the game, I stop at the "connection" part. Also, I tend to have green ping on the other Blurry.
0 x
The risk I took was caluclated, but man.....am I bad at math.

Iliyan
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Enthusiast of SF and SFD
SFD Account: Iliyan
SFD Alias: Iliyan[44]
Started SFD: Carving for it since normal SF

Post by Iliyan » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:55 pm

im sorry to tell that i realy found it borring i played the first day when the server had like 4 players but every day since then its was a permanent desert, I my self dont enjoy it eather now, its good for 30 min but it burned me so quick i even got surprised.
Its of no use if people say its amazing if no one wants to play it because normal mode is 10 time more fun.
I dont know how to treat this script/mode maybe put it in mulefires server every X number games, or maybe some people actualy play it and get the server full for hours but once more i must say i dont see it, remotely as full as melee or blurry like servers.
0 x