Dear forum users! In compliance with the new European GDPR regulations, we'd just like to inform you that if you have an account, your email address is stored in our database. We do not share your information with third parties, and your email address and password are encrypted for security reasons.

New to the forum? Say hello in this topic! Also make sure to read the rules.

Shock chain/bat

Give us your input on how we may improve the game in future versions.
Forum rules
By using the forum you agree to the following rules. For this forum you also need to follow these additional rules.
jlo
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: hey
SFD Account: jlo
Started SFD: March 2017

Shock chain/bat

Post by jlo » Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:50 pm

Yeah this seems pretty dumb but there's a shock baton, why not add like a baseball bat that shocks a bit and a shock chain would be OP too
Lemme know if you think this is a good idea
1 x
<Aspect> Vapsiz#8861

RickAvory
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Sunny City Nationalist
SFD Account: Rick Avory
SFD Alias: (EA) Rick Avory
Started SFD: Sep 2016

Post by RickAvory » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:32 pm

Short answer: No

Long Answer: No because it nullifies the value of the shock baton. It’s supposed to be a rare overpowered and most importantly unique weapon. Adding multiple others decreases its “uniqueness” (is that a word? Lol). Also, how the hell would an electric bat or chain work? For starters, wood can’t conduct electricity, and the chain would conduct electricity right to your hand. Seems pretty counter productive to me.
1 x
We must root out the impurities in our midst

jlo
Superfighter
Superfighter

Post by jlo » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:44 pm

RickAvory wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:32 pm

Long Answer: No because it nullifies the value of the shock baton. It’s supposed to be a rare overpowered and most importantly unique weapon. Adding multiple others decreases its “uniqueness” (is that a word? Lol). Also, how the hell would an electric bat or chain work? For starters, wood can’t conduct electricity, and the chain would conduct electricity right to your hand. Seems pretty counter productive to me.
well it could have a diff handle, just like the z whacker
0 x
<Aspect> Vapsiz#8861

RickAvory
Superfighter
Superfighter

Post by RickAvory » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:54 pm

jlo wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:44 pm
RickAvory wrote:

For the chain maybe, but the bat? What’s even the purpose of having a metal part on that bat that can conduct electricity. It might as well just be another reckon of the baton. Even with the chain. What would Cause The electricity in the chain? Is there a giant battery hanging off it? Feel like that would be counter productive. Also think it takes away from how unique the baton is. Baton is the only one that makes sense for the metro guards, not a bloody bat or chain.
0 x

jlo
Superfighter
Superfighter

Post by jlo » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:00 pm

RickAvory wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:54 pm
jlo wrote:
RickAvory wrote:

For the chain maybe, but the bat? What’s even the purpose of having a metal part on that bat that can conduct electricity. It might as well just be another reckon of the baton. Even with the chain. What would Cause The electricity in the chain? Is there a giant battery hanging off it? Feel like that would be counter productive. Also think it takes away from how unique the baton is. Baton is the only one that makes sense for the metro guards, not a bloody bat or chain.
google the z whacker
that'll be cool tho cause it shocks ppl
0 x
<Aspect> Vapsiz#8861

RickAvory
Superfighter
Superfighter

Post by RickAvory » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:06 pm

jlo wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:00 pm
RickAvory wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:54 pm
jlo wrote:

google the z whacker
A studded bat is a different story. One that can shock you? I don’t see the point as we already have the baton. It also takes away from how unique the weapon type is.
0 x

Shock
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Content-maker
SFD Account: Shock
Started SFD: Pre-Alpha 1.2.0.

Post by Shock » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:48 am

Hmm... How about some Shock ability, that you can use like boost?
0 x
-Content-maker.

KliPeH
Title: [happy moth noises]
SFD Account: KliPeH
Started SFD: Pre-Alpha 1.4.2

Post by KliPeH » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:00 pm

jlo wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:50 pm
[...] there's a shock baton, why not add like a baseball bat that shocks a bit [...]
jlo wrote:
jlo wrote:
[...]
None of these are particularly strong arguments. You don't have any actual reasoning for this to be implemented other than "it looks cool"; from what you're suggesting this'll just be another shock baton with a different sprite. Maybe a tiny damage buff/debuff that will certainly not justify adding another weapon into the pool diluting it.

The shock baton having that stun effect is what makes it different and unique to other weapons, introducing another weapon like it will ruin the effect.
1 x

Del Poncho
Superfighter
Superfighter
Started SFD: July 2012 (1.0.5)

Post by Del Poncho » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:12 pm

KliPeH wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:00 pm
You don't have any actual reasoning for this to be implemented other than "it looks cool";
Well to be honest that's one of the best reason to implement something in a game like SFD, but yeah, the shock batoon should be something unique. Also, I don't even want to imagine how difficult it would be to avoid a shock chain.
0 x
The risk I took was caluclated, but man.....am I bad at math.

KliPeH
Title: [happy moth noises]
SFD Account: KliPeH
Started SFD: Pre-Alpha 1.4.2

Post by KliPeH » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:25 pm

Del Poncho wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:12 pm
Well to be honest that's one of the best reason to implement something in a game like SFD [...]
Not really, no. This mentality brought you weapons like the wrench, the hammer, the pipe, the baton, the .45 pistol, the revolver, the MP50, the riot shotgun and the silenced weapon equivalents, all superior/inferior models of existing weaponry. Some look and sound cool but only serve as placeholders until better weaponry can be obtained (sometimes just the "original" model), some have replaced the original in being a good weapon candidate and the original now serves as placeholder itself. Having placeholder weapons is never fun.

FPS games (PUBG comes to mind as having a large weapon selection) have the added benefit of introducing different recoil patterns (weapon kick, screenshake, muzzle flash) making some weapons handle in an entirely different fashion to others, albeit having near-similar stats. This makes some weaker weapons (say, the Vector or the Thompson) better choices than some stronger ones (say, the Mk47 Mutant or the M762) in some cases. Furthermore, the many attachments allow you to compensate for some weapons' weaknesses by lowering screenshake (foregrips), stabilizing weapon kick (compensators) or eliminating muzzle flash in its entirety (suppressors). You can also modify weapons to be close or long range with different scopes, couple that with a fire selector and you're allowing two of the same weapon to have two vastly different roles if set up differently.

You can take Dying Light (the original) as an example of a game with a good melee weapon system, where it allows you to attach different mods to weaker weapons to have them also serve different roles. Want this shitty baseball bat to be your stun gun? Add a battery and some wire to run electricity through it. Want this rebar to be your armor-piercing weapon? Add razor blades onto it to apply bleed damage. You can have ordinary melee weapons poison or set enemies ablaze, which is a pretty cool feature to have. Weapons can have different heavy attacks or specials. I don't exactly remember all the things you could do or in which exact fashion but you do get the idea.

SFD has very little of that at the moment, but it could have more. All the automatic ranged weapons have the exact same firerate; you can toy with that as you see fit. Merely allowing the weapons to be fired at different rates will be enough to make a big difference. You can also have a working recoil system in which the cone of fire goes bigger the longer you fire (the way Soldat does it). Then have different weapons have different speeds in which the spread increases, effectively deciding how well you could handle them - making one weapon either be better at close range (fast fire-rate and low cone-of-fire increase, good at spraying) or better at long range (low fire-rate and high cone-of-fire increase, forcing you to "tap"). You can introduce multiple weapons that are semi, or auto, or a 2-rnd-burst, or a 3-rnd-burst, or a 5-rnd-burst. You can have weapon be more/less effective at destroying cover (simulating different ammunition calibres), or have weapons pass through multiple pieces of cover/fighters without destroying them.

All of these combined will make for a more robust game. Then you can start introducing more weapons that are similar to one another stat-wise. All you will then need to do is change the fire-rate/spread cone/fire mode and you're all set. But the way this currently works? Don't really see the point. The thing I like most about having many weapons do the same thing is modability - now that there are two SMGs I can both make a UMP texture and a Vector texture, without having to compromise. That's one neat aspect of these additions I do have to admit. I'd like to have another AR and another SMG if I'm going to create a good modern weapon pack, but other than that the game has no need more of the same stuff.

If we're adding more melee weapons at least have them do different things. A scythe that has a different move-set, a rapier that allows you to attack automatically if you block a hit (a parry of sorts), a spiked rebar that damages the opponent if you block their fist hits, I don't know. Maybe each weapon could have a different 3rd hit if combo'd perfectly? Definitely not more of what we currently have, though. We have a shock baton which lets you get a few more hits in when it is activated, a baseball bat which can launch projectiles farther, a chainsaw which stun-locks opponents, a knife which deals high damage when thrown, a chain which is longer than other weapons and IIRC the fireaxe/hammer allow you to destroy cover more easily. The rest of the weapons serve no real purpose.

Give the weapons unique abilities to make them different from one another - swing rate is the first thing that comes to mind, different moves, have them incur debuffs - otherwise just don't add them.
1 x

Del Poncho
Superfighter
Superfighter
Started SFD: July 2012 (1.0.5)

Post by Del Poncho » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:07 pm

► Show Spoiler
You probably misunderstood what I meant, but I really wasn't trying to make a point other than "SFD is about being cool, not much about being balanced".
And to me, there really isn't a negative side to having so many weapons. Of course, if every weapon had a special mechanic (such as the baton, the flare gun, the knife, or even just the new AR, being the only burst fire gun), that would be better, but that's also not really possible.

While you can't have a lot of different weapons, you can have a lot of similar weapons and a bunch of "special" ones, such as those I listed. The only negative side I can see about this, is that it's harder to stock up on ammo...but that's not really something I consider a problem.

If this was a game such as Dying Light or Pubg, of course, filling your pockets with ammo would be a priority. But in a game as fast paced and action movie-ey (good luck pronouncing that) as SFD, I feel like having to change guns multiple times in a single match is a good part of the game.
Of course, it's also good to have those times in wich someone fills his pockets with AR ammo and starts shooting nonstop, but I feel that it shouldn't be the case each round. But of course, everybody has his own view of the game.
Last edited by KliPeH on Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Updated quote, spoiler'd for convenience.
0 x
The risk I took was caluclated, but man.....am I bad at math.

Sh4d0w
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: the xD guy
SFD Alias: too many aliases
Started SFD: before sfd

Post by Sh4d0w » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:29 pm

No, this is a terrible idea. Not only it has got weak arguments, but it also eliminates the uniqueness (yes, Rick, that's a word) of a shock baton being the only shock weapon (so far, not sure if we're going to have a taser) in the game. Additionally, the shock chain or a shock bat will have a bigger range, so you can just stun people from further away. Finally, there's the question of shock chain being able to deflect. Since a chain is made out of metal (duh), a shock chain should be able to deflect bullets, right?
Shock wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:48 am
Could you please elaborate with what you meant with the shock ability being something that "you can use like boost"? I've got one opinion about this so far, but I would need further elaboration to decide what my opinion about this should look like.
1 x

Shock
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Content-maker
SFD Account: Shock
Started SFD: Pre-Alpha 1.2.0.

Post by Shock » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:00 pm

Sh4d0w wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:29 pm
No, this is a terrible idea. Not only it has got weak arguments, but it also eliminates the uniqueness (yes, Rick, that's a word) of a shock baton being the only shock weapon (so far, not sure if we're going to have a taser) in the game. Additionally, the shock chain or a shock bat will have a bigger range, so you can just stun people from further away. Finally, there's the question of shock chain being able to deflect. Since a chain is made out of metal (duh), a shock chain should be able to deflect bullets, right?
Shock wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:48 am
Could you please elaborate with what you meant with the shock ability being something that "you can use like boost"? I've got one opinion about this so far, but I would need further elaboration to decide what my opinion about this should look like.
I mean something similar to the strength boost. You injecting some "shock boost" that will allow you to make electric punches or something like this...
0 x
-Content-maker.

RickAvory
Superfighter
Superfighter

Post by RickAvory » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:44 pm

Nahhhh. Seems a bit rediculus tbh. I wouldn’t advocate for an over abundance of those power ups now. Maybe like a speed power up or an energy power up, but one that shocks you? Nahh.
0 x

Pricey
Superfighter
Superfighter
SFD Alias: (LM) Pricey
Started SFD: August 2015

Post by Pricey » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:20 pm

The shock baton is not only a unique weapon (something which should be kept that way), but it is also very good. The baton by itself is a very mediocre melee weapon, with its only real upside being a bit more range than average. But the shock baton takes the baton from being a decent melee weapon to one that you would take over many other things. A shock chain is simply out of the question, the chain's range as is already makes it a top-tier melee weapon. Pair this with the added bonus of electric shocks and the shock chain is sure to get nerfed out of the water within a matter of days.

Many people have already touched on this, but in future a weapons suggestion should really have some substance to it. Why is it unique? Why would it fit the game? How would it be balanced? Saying "this weapon would look cool" is essentially a surefire way of getting your suggestion ignored.
1 x

jlo
Superfighter
Superfighter

Post by jlo » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:00 am

cool suggestions and arguments
hmm having a energy/speed boost may fit in, the chain being able to deflect bullets till its destroyed can be cool aswell
0 x
<Aspect> Vapsiz#8861

Sh4d0w
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: the xD guy
SFD Alias: too many aliases
Started SFD: before sfd

Post by Sh4d0w » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:59 am

Shock wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:00 pm
I mean something similar to the strength boost. You injecting some "shock boost" that will allow you to make electric punches or something like this...
That's what I was expecting. An ability to electrify your punches.

I'm against this idea. First of all, there's another risk of shock baton losing the uniqueness. Let's say that the shock chain/shock bat gets added to the game. The shock baton already loses its uniqueness, so why do you want to make a shock baton as a power-up? Additionally, the electric punches can deal more damage than some of the weapons. I'll give a few examples, as I'm pretty sure those weapons might deal less damage if we had a "shock boost":
- Pipe Wrench
- Lead Pipe
- Baseball Bat
- Baton
- All of the makeshift weapons
Lastly, I don't really see any other uses of this power-up other than making your punches stun other players. Besides that, we already have a power-up increasing the melee damage, and it also has more than one use (being further throw or trying to kill your enemy before the power-up runs out after you ran out of health).
0 x