Dear forum users! In compliance with the new European GDPR regulations, we'd just like to inform you that if you have an account, your email address is stored in our database. We do not share your information with third parties, and your email address and password are encrypted for security reasons.

New to the forum? Say hello in this topic! Also make sure to read the rules.

My Criticisms with Jo's Bar

Give us your input on how we may improve the game in future versions.
Forum rules
By using the forum you agree to the following rules. For this forum you also need to follow these additional rules.
RickAvory
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Sunny City Nationalist
SFD Account: Rick Avory
SFD Alias: (EA) Rick Avory
Started SFD: Sep 2016

My Criticisms with Jo's Bar

Post by RickAvory » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:45 am

Hello. I am making this post to address some of my criticisms and suggestions on the design of "Jo's Bar" as a Versus map.

Firstly, the map seems to start and end way to abrupt. Basically, it feels like you are in a tiny box with a random bar in between. This feels weird to me. Is having two incredibly thick walls around this tiny bar really necessary?

I get that the point may be to show the citizens of Sunny City trying to keep the Zombies from escaping the bar, (I am assuming why this design choice was made) but I feel like a tiny fence would be a lot more sufficient, ascetically pleasing, and realistic.

I love the Jo's Bar map in Zombie Nightmare, and would advocate the Versus map to follow suit. One clear issue with that suggestion however is that individuals could get into places that aren't even visible or reachable to other players.

One solution I have would be something along the lines of a Zombie crawling out of the ground in order to attack the player once they have reached the aforementioned area. That is just a thought though. I have had other ideas such as a nerve gas that slowly kills you and turns you into a zombie, but I am sure others can come up with better ideas to combat that issue. Anyways, I hope @Hjarpe and @Gurt acknowledge my suggestion. If any of you would like to add your opinion feel free.
3 x
We must root out the impurities in our midst

Hjarpe
Lead Designer
Lead Designer
Started SFD: The grey dawn of time

Post by Hjarpe » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:44 am

High walls and death-pits are the only sure way to keep players within an outdoor level, unless we add a "return to the combat zone or die" mechanic. I imagine the versus map is set some time after the zombie outbreak, where new buildings have sprung up around Jo's establishment. But in hindsight, I do think the level is a bit lacklustre. Open to suggestions!
5 x
Quinterball: Vigorously shaking a tile while rapidly tapping CTRL causes the selected tile to randomly flash red.
MythoLogic Interactive: By design.

StarNord
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: SelfProclaimed LvL99 Suggester
SFD Account: StarNord
SFD Alias: Sunny Citizen
Started SFD: A lil' Before Pre-Alpha 1.6.0

Post by StarNord » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:50 am

I think that the ZN map should be used with the high-ground on the right being accessible through scaffolds or a ladder or rope hanging off the cliff (now that's a good excuse to add a rope tile to the game)

I don't think there should be anything to do with live zombies but rather a hint that the area is being defended against zombies, and that the players are survivors fighting for control over Jo's bar which is a safe zone of sorts, this I think should reflect in the aesthetics of the map with barred windows, overturned tables, blood stains, broken makeshift weapons and debris lying around and so on...

the two ends should be barred off with indestructible yet clearly makeshift barricades (which might require a new tile be made) and if someone gets past them (by getting somehow blown over or using scripts), they'll simply fall off the abyss that lies outside of all SFD maps.

And if people really want a zombie easter egg then maybe a 30 minute timer on dead players after which they revive as computer-controlled "zombies" (the same character with a zombie skin) if they somehow manage to prolong a match for that long
0 x
Go On, Click Away. Signatures Are For Fools Who Haven't Said Enough! -Karl Marx if he had an internet connection

Vitamin E
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Completely Neutral
Started SFD: around 2012
Post by Vitamin E » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:39 am

I know it's not the best solution, but I usually use invisible platforms to block players from escaping outdoor maps. I face the solid side of the platform towards the map and turn off bullet collision for the plat. I use platforms because if a rocket riding player runs into the invisible platforms they will not explode and die (like they would for a solid wall). As long as the platforms are placed up high, where players can't stand next to it and try to double tap down and roll through the wall, they won't be able to get through it unless they're riding on a rocket.
2 x

hyper copter
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Leave my profile alone.
SFD Account: Hyper
SFD Alias: Hyper

Post by hyper copter » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:49 pm

If they are going to use high grounds on versus, Then let me say that something the dynamic duo do perfectly is that they design their maps so that every area is reachable from at least 2 different directions. While here, The high grounds can be reached by a high jump from the top of the bar. And sometimes by climbing the crates that are below the high grounds. (if they spawn) So in my opinion if the high grounds will be put in versus, Glurp and the other dev should make it easily reachable from 2 different directions. Also, If you wanna prevent player from falling out of bounds, Why not add those walls that already exists in the original versus map? (The ones on the left & the right)
1 x
''The great thing about multitasking is that several things can go wrong at once."
- Andrew B. Sweger.