Dear forum users! In compliance with the new European GDPR regulations, we'd just like to inform you that if you have an account, your email address is stored in our database. We do not share your information with third parties, and your email address and password are encrypted for security reasons.

New to the forum? Say hello in this topic! Also make sure to read the rules.

Partially remove granade stuns or add "granade counter" per block

Give us your input on how we may improve the game in future versions.
Forum rules
By using the forum you agree to the following rules. For this forum you also need to follow these additional rules.
TheBlackshot
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Trigger-Black
SFD Alias: Blackshot
Started SFD: Winter 12/13

Partially remove granade stuns or add "granade counter" per block

Post by TheBlackshot » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:10 pm

I'm sure it's a popular opinion, I'm sure it's been discussed (I hope so).
Granade stuns guarantee for easy hits when you time it right (e.g. cook the first a little, throw the second and or third shortly after). In the game meta, the stun makes sense, so I wouldn't remove it competely. I was thinking more of a nerf by leaving out the second granade stun. It should still bounce of the players body, just not stun them (while still dealing that "object hit" damage). It's all within a short time period of course and the "stun cooldown" applies only to the same player who throws them.
Now this wouldn't only balance the grenades and put out the easy kill exploit but it would empower the victim a lot, making them able to kick the grenades back easier. Forcing the pitcher to cook the grenade better or wait for a better (busier) moment.
Last edited by TheBlackshot on Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Blame the game, not the player

Evilsack
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: you make me sick.
SFD Account: Evilsack
Started SFD: Pre-Alpha 1.2.1

Post by Evilsack » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:12 pm

If you block it you don't get stunned, this has saved me a few times.
2 x
-Evilsack

TheBlackshot
Superfighter
Superfighter

Post by TheBlackshot » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:22 pm

Evilsack wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:12 pm
If you block it you don't get stunned, this has saved me a few times.
It isn't very reliable as you have to start blocking pretty soon which can be a problem with server side movement cause this is a matter of splitseconds usually. Alternatively, adding a "granade" counter like in melee would help. Successfully blocking a punch "cancels" the rest of your block period for you to react.
0 x

KliPeH
Title: [happy moth noises]
SFD Account: KliPeH
Started SFD: Pre-Alpha 1.4.2

Post by KliPeH » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:31 pm

I don't know about you, I personally don't consider "grenade spam" an issue. First and foremost, using all 3 grenades to stunlock one fighter (or only 2 to deal heavy damage to them) puts the grenade user at a disadvantage too and compromises a huge chunk of their offensive power. Grenades are usually of great utility to me and I can end rounds by using grenades and nothing else; 3 well-cooked grenades coupled with a chain reaction of explosive barrels or gasoline tanks can potentially kill up to 5-6 players, so expending your whole explosive arsenal to kill one dude is quite a waste. Yeah it sucks if it's the end of the round, you're the last one alive and that tactic is used against you but I'm sure that doesn't happen very often - by the time the round nears the end people will have more efficient and risk-free ways to kill you.

Secondly, grenades hitting fighters was a feature requested many times on the old forum and the devs obliged just to receive more requests to revert the change. It's kinda shitty and the situation is similar to that of the grabs - some people like them and some don't. Even if it isn't a strong argument by itself I find solace in the fact using 3 grenades to kill one person is simply wasteful and puts whoever did that at a loss too. What happens when that last guy camps the timer out and you can't reach them on time? Sure wish you still had those grenades. Had there been no stun people would just jump away and escape the area unscathed, as it stands the stun time plus the stagger if your opponent is hit in the back makes them stumble and fall and delays their retreat just enough to injure them. I don't see a problem with that, if you want to use more than one grenade to make sure I die I can't blame you and I definitely can't get upset about it.
5 x

RickAvory
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Sunny City Nationalist
SFD Account: Rick Avory
SFD Alias: (EA) Rick Avory
Started SFD: Sep 2016

Post by RickAvory » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:26 am

no no no. You need to learn how to defend it. Never have I ever thought being blown up by a grenade was unfair. I am always at fault. It’s not the developers job to make everything easy.
1 x
We must root out the impurities in our midst

TheBlackshot
Superfighter
Superfighter

Post by TheBlackshot » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:53 am

RickAvory wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:26 am
no no no. You need to learn how to defend it. Never have I ever thought being blown up by a grenade was unfair. I am always at fault. It’s not the developers job to make everything easy.
I assume that works best with good ping, the worse the ping the more disadvantages you have. Considering the fact that a ping of a 100 is already pretty bad, I hate it.
KliPeH wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:31 pm
using all 3 grenades to stunlock one fighter (or only 2 to deal heavy damage to them) puts the grenade user at a disadvantage too and compromises a huge chunk of their offensive power. Grenades are usually of great utility to me and I can end rounds by using grenades and nothing else; 3 well-cooked grenades coupled with a chain reaction of explosive barrels or gasoline tanks can potentially kill up to 5-6 players, so expending your whole explosive arsenal to kill one dude is quite a waste.
if you want to use more than one grenade to make sure I die I can't blame you and I definitely can't get upset about it.
You guys made me realize my short sight here. I just got back into the game, only getting started guys :)
See I love low-HP situations, they are thrilled and fuel both the seeming chaos and the competitive aspect. So far in my sfd career or in general, a good player doesn't have more than about 2-3 threats (players on your level or better) in a full lobby. I don't know about the future, I hope and believe this will change. My thing now is, those 5-6 players you mentioned I usually kill with other ways than a granade. The granade to me is like a more casual/common power weapon. Killing a good player with three granades - theoretical 1on1 - is too easy. Dealing high damage and leaving him with fewer health points is ok, he can let his adrenaline thrive for survival thereafter.
If you guys don't understand or if I don't even make sense, that's fine. I won't be pushy about it
0 x