Dear forum users! In compliance with the new European GDPR regulations, we'd just like to inform you that if you have an account, your email address is stored in our database. We do not share your information with third parties, and your email address and password are encrypted for security reasons.

New to the forum? Say hello in this topic! Also make sure to read the rules.

Flares

Give us your input on how we may improve the game in future versions.
Forum rules
By using the forum you agree to the following rules. For this forum you also need to follow these additional rules.
StarNord
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: SelfProclaimed LvL99 Suggester
SFD Account: StarNord
SFD Alias: Sunny Citizen
Started SFD: A lil' Before Pre-Alpha 1.6.0

Flares

Post by StarNord » Wed May 02, 2018 4:55 pm

Since we have a flaregun in the game it would only be fair to have flares too.

Flares would be used to call in crates but not just any crates, Trap Crates, crates that would incapacitate a player that opens it, trap crates could release a bear trap(actually, bear traps could be a suggestion all by itself), stun the player(with electricity or a flash), drop an armed mine, or just simply explode upon being opened.

The owner of the trap crate wouldn't know which crate is trapped unless he approaches it, at which point it'll be highlighted red similar to how weapons are highlighted once players are in pickup range(an explanation for this could be that the trapped crate has a serial number on it that the owner will recognise from the flare he/she threw).

And now, for my most controversial suggestion which'll (hopefully) make people flock to this post, flares could also set up an Air Strike(stay with me here...) a flare thrown onto open ground would "mark" that area for an airstrike after which your player would pull out something similar to a C4 detonator, once the detonator is activated a missile would launch into the marked area, instantly gibbing any player caught in it's massive radius and any player caught outside the "gib radius" will just be blown away (both literally and figuratively).

The function of the air-strike would be to restrict a large area of the map to everyone but the owner, which means a cleverly placed airstrike would allow you to play mind-games with your opponent/opponents kinda like "if i go from here he'll airstrike me but if i go from there he'll gun me down".

"But that's OP" you say,(yes, i'm assuming you said that) but you have to realize that the thrown flare will have given every player in the game a giveaway to where your airstrike is set up letting everyone hatch a plan against it or prioritise you as a target.

Then what about closed off maps and areas that don't have open access to the heavens above? Well then, like supply crates an airstrike could just appear out of thin air above the marked area, but if that seems a bit ridiculous, an airstrikeless large explosion could achieve the same result.

Now, for the small suggestions...

instead of incapacitating, a trap crate could drop a jammed gun which would seem normal at first, but will not shoot(and come with a "dry fire" sound to inform players that it isn't just a bug).

the serial number on a trap crate could also be recognised with a sniper from long range, allowing players with snipers to find their trap crate.

If a flare is thrown onto a flammable material, the material will rapidly catch fire.

Flares could instead just be a special ammo for the flaregun, but wouldn't spawn anything unless shot into the air.

a map could be limited to just 2-3 air-strikes depending on how large it is.

I've also thought up of a gamemode where supply crates only spawn from flares, I will elaborate on the spoiler down below...
► Show Spoiler
That's it, my airstrike suggestion is in it's infancy right now, so I would appreciate any input on making it better (and sound a bit less like a fantasy)

I also heard that the devs loved worms which is also why I decided to suggest it along with the fact that C4s, as they are now, suck ass (or in other words, are very situational).
Last edited by StarNord on Sat May 05, 2018 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
5 x
Go On, Click Away. Signatures Are For Fools Who Haven't Said Enough! -Karl Marx if he had an internet connection

Billy
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Owner of a failed Clan
SFD Account: Billy
SFD Alias: Billy
Started SFD: October 2015

Post by Billy » Thu May 03, 2018 2:16 am

I like the idea of flares, but maybe keep them as throwables that call down a regular supply crate? That would be interesting, since it would be a really unique weapon concept.
1 x
Join Delta Squad today, if you mail me now you will get this cool private rank for FREE, but thats not all, you will also get an imaginary Cookie, so better hurry up!
Yea, ehh, that was a big fail...

StarNord
Superfighter
Superfighter

Post by StarNord » Thu May 03, 2018 8:41 am

Billy wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 2:16 am
I like the idea of flares, but maybe keep them as throwables that call down a regular supply crate? That would be interesting, since it would be a really unique weapon concept.
yes, that could work too, but it would be kinda unfair if it just spawned a random crate, maybe different colour flares that would spawn a specific type of crate, like a green flare for a medic crate and so on.

But that would mean that the devs will have to change the colour of the melee, secondary and primary, crates since they're all orange ATM, I wouldn't want to get an orange flare and have to roll the dice on getting a primary, secondary or melee crate, since I could already have a primary, secondary or melee weapon and/or not want one.

Plus, changin' textures ain't that hard anyway...
0 x
Go On, Click Away. Signatures Are For Fools Who Haven't Said Enough! -Karl Marx if he had an internet connection

MOOADAM
Superfighter
Superfighter
SFD Account: MOOADAM
SFD Alias: General Bird or MOOADAM
Post by MOOADAM » Fri May 04, 2018 3:50 am

i was thinking flares would just be like a stick that when you hit people it gives them fire. maybe its like chairs and it doesn't take up a inventory slot. it just starts burning when you pick it up and when u hit people with it they catch a flame, and when u drop it sits there like a lil bit of fire. or you can throw it like a normal flare.
0 x

StarNord
Superfighter
Superfighter

Post by StarNord » Sat May 05, 2018 1:09 pm

MOOADAM wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 3:50 am
i was thinking flares would just be like a stick that when you hit people it gives them fire. maybe its like chairs and it doesn't take up a inventory slot. it just starts burning when you pick it up and when u hit people with it they catch a flame, and when u drop it sits there like a lil bit of fire. or you can throw it like a normal flare.
Hmm... flares could be a kind of time limit melee weapon, where once a flare is ignited(maybe by holding attack), it would set players that it hits on fire.

And it wouldn't have durability, instead, it would slowly extinguish as time goes on (and would snuff out faster the more it's used) it could be like the torch suggestion(by ma boi, Nobel) but a lot less "OP" and seem a little bit more SuperFighters!

And plus, you could just find a retexture of it (or retexture it yourself) as a torch if you prefer it that way...

Edit: This would also fill out every slot with a fire weapon, where, as of right now, there are only 3(the faregun, flamethrower and molotov), this addition would fill out the all the weapon slots with a fire weapon, completing the Pyromaniac set, for anyone who's REALLY into fire...
2 x

Lapisuth
Meatbag
SFD Account: Tøt
Post by Lapisuth » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:54 pm

! Message from: KliPeH
Merged a new take on an idea with an already existing thread.
Imagine if you could use a remote / a phone that called in 3-4 random item crates? That had a spawn chance of a c4? I mean, it's not the most useful and needed feature, but still, would be cool.

It's very simple and self explanatory. + I'm pretty sure it's not super hard to code.

I could provide a sprite and example if those are needed.
0 x

GreenyShark
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Stealing kills from range
SFD Alias: Greeny
Started SFD: PreAlpha 1.7.0

Post by GreenyShark » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:53 am

So I would have to get an item from a supply crate that probably would have the rarity of a 5 sec slomo, Just so I can spawn in new supply crates?
My suggestion if this idea existed would be to give this to a fighter at the start of every match, And it can be a server option to turn it on or off. And there could also be a map editor feature to turn off this "Airdrop phone" in case you don't want players to have the chance to get random items in your map. And instead of the supply crates coming out of thin air, There could be a drone that flies through any obstacles to deliver the supply crate to the calling player. This also leads to the idea of being able to shoot down said drone, So this idea can't be so "OP". So if a drone is flying you could just shoot it down out of the sky and the supply crates could land to any other players.
0 x

Rick Sanchez
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Alcoholic
SFD Account: Rick Sanchez
SFD Alias: Rick Sanchez
Started SFD: 1.5.0b

Post by Rick Sanchez » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:01 am

StarNord wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 4:55 pm
Since we have a flaregun in the game it would only be fair to have flares too.

Flares would be used to call in crates but not just any crates, Trap Crates, crates that would incapacitate a player that opens it, trap crates could release a bear trap(actually, bear traps could be a suggestion all by itself), stun the player(with electricity or a flash), drop an armed mine, or just simply explode upon being opened.

The owner of the trap crate wouldn't know which crate is trapped unless he approaches it, at which point it'll be highlighted red similar to how weapons are highlighted once players are in pickup range(an explanation for this could be that the trapped crate has a serial number on it that the owner will recognise from the flare he/she threw).

And now, for my most controversial suggestion which'll (hopefully) make people flock to this post, flares could also set up an Air Strike(stay with me here...) a flare thrown onto open ground would "mark" that area for an airstrike after which your player would pull out something similar to a C4 detonator, once the detonator is activated a missile would launch into the marked area, instantly gibbing any player caught in it's massive radius and any player caught outside the "gib radius" will just be blown away (both literally and figuratively).

The function of the air-strike would be to restrict a large area of the map to everyone but the owner, which means a cleverly placed airstrike would allow you to play mind-games with your opponent/opponents kinda like "if i go from here he'll airstrike me but if i go from there he'll gun me down".

"But that's OP" you say,(yes, i'm assuming you said that) but you have to realize that the thrown flare will have given every player in the game a giveaway to where your airstrike is set up letting everyone hatch a plan against it or prioritise you as a target.

Then what about closed off maps and areas that don't have open access to the heavens above? Well then, like supply crates an airstrike could just appear out of thin air above the marked area, but if that seems a bit ridiculous, an airstrikeless large explosion could achieve the same result.

Now, for the small suggestions...

instead of incapacitating, a trap crate could drop a jammed gun which would seem normal at first, but will not shoot(and come with a "dry fire" sound to inform players that it isn't just a bug).

the serial number on a trap crate could also be recognised with a sniper from long range, allowing players with snipers to find their trap crate.

If a flare is thrown onto a flammable material, the material will rapidly catch fire.

Flares could instead just be a special ammo for the flaregun, but wouldn't spawn anything unless shot into the air.

a map could be limited to just 2-3 air-strikes depending on how large it is.

I've also thought up of a gamemode where supply crates only spawn from flares, I will elaborate on the spoiler down below...
► Show Spoiler
That's it, my airstrike suggestion is in it's infancy right now, so I would appreciate any input on making it better (and sound a bit less like a fantasy)

I also heard that the devs loved worms which is also why I decided to suggest it along with the fact that C4s, as they are now, suck ass (or in other words, are very situational).
I like the idea of trap crates. Scratch the whole flare thing, and just make them drop at a random rate that is somewhat rare Maybe a little rarer than pure hp drops or something, i am not sure how rare everything is but i imagine hp drops are kinda rare.
0 x