Dear forum users! In compliance with the new European GDPR regulations, we'd just like to inform you that if you have an account, your email address is stored in our database. We do not share your information with third parties, and your email address and password are encrypted for security reasons.

New to the forum? Say hello in this topic! Also make sure to read the rules.

Grenade rolling too fast and too far

Give us your input on how we may improve the game in future versions.
Forum rules
By using the forum you agree to the following rules. For this forum you also need to follow these additional rules.
El-Cubanisto
Fighter
Fighter
SFD Account: Cubanisto

Grenade rolling too fast and too far

Post by El-Cubanisto » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:47 pm

Hello.

I was playing SFD and recently saw that grenades are sliding on the floor too fast and too far ; - I never saw grenades rolling that fast and that far in any fighting game - and I think a little system should add a "slow the grenade down",like it should stop before it touches an object.
It's not realist and very annoying since grenades shouldn't be bouncing balls.

Thanks for reading and I hope its gonna be considered.
0 x
this is a chinese knock-off

Lunatic
Title: I hope Klipeh bans himself
SFD Alias: (LM) Lunatic
Started SFD: 1.0.5 Pre-Alpha

Post by Lunatic » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:35 am

Grenades are one of the biggest counters to camping by being wide-radius explosives you can toss indirectly into vantage points to flush people out. They can't be dodged and deal a LOT of damage, encouraging players to be wary of them. If they had less distance, damage, or explosion radius, players would have no reason to fear grenades and could camp a lot harder, forcing other players to come to them and be put in a disadvantage (sometimes a brutal one, if the player camping has a powerful weapon).

Grenades are fine - in fact, I find them underwhelming in their throw distance and was hoping they might go a bit further to aid tosses onto hard-to-reach places.
0 x
Originally posted by Gurt
SFD BADASS! 8-)

El-Cubanisto
Fighter
Fighter

Post by El-Cubanisto » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:26 pm

Hi,
I don't want the grenades to have less damage or explosion radius but less rapidity, since grenades aren't beyblades.
And to counter camp,you have many others weapons, like Molotovs and Flamethrower, they work well and aren't counterable(?)
1 x

KliPeH
Title: [happy moth noises]
SFD Account: KliPeH
Started SFD: Pre-Alpha 1.4.2

Post by KliPeH » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:46 pm

El-Cubanisto wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:26 pm
And to counter camp,you have many others weapons, like Molotovs and Flamethrower, they work well and aren't counterable(?)
Molotovs break on impact which makes them difficult to use in tight spaces or chuck into hard-to-hit areas. They force the enemy to move (although not instantly if they weren't hit directly), but once they do they're pretty much out of the danger zone; fire is easy to put out without constant pressure. Sure, you can close the distance between yourself and your enemy when that happens, but while you're switching out to the Mollies and preparing the throw you're probably being shot at already - and at the end of the day just do a damage trade-off (if not suffer worse damage). Enemies can just move outside the throw arc and then you've just wasted ammo and got yourself shot. Molotovs don't deal contact damage either, and thus aren't able to stagger opponents. I personally view them as inferior to grenades in almost every respect.

The flamethrower is a power weapon and not a reliable means to force people out of cover. Even then, you're putting yourself at risk by getting closer to the enemy, which cannot be said about grenades. Grenades are a common item, can be thrown to great distances without putting you out there without cover, deal massive damage (which usually compensates for whatever damage you took while throwing them), destroy cover instantly, stagger opponents in turn making them susceptible to all kinds of damage including hazards, and are generally very good at repelling unarmed opponents. The ability to cook them and roll them is often used as "mind-games" material, and so is the ability to hit them with the baseball bat you may happen to wield.

I like them the way they are, honestly. You probably don't see grenades roll this far in other fighting games because "other fighting games" don't have grenades. Otherwise it's a common sight in shooter games; have you played Soldat? Or, hell, any of the Call of Duty games? The grenade arc after the bounce is so unpredictable you may as well be pelting the enemy with very deadly rubber balls. At least they're consistent in SFD, right?

They're very effective at what they do, unlike the other two things you mentioned; I don't feel they need to be nerfed.
0 x

El-Cubanisto
Fighter
Fighter

Post by El-Cubanisto » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:41 pm

Hi,

"other fighting games" I mean, COD,Battlefield, CS-GO...
anyways,you're right,and it was just my opinion.
0 x

Illusion
Fighter
Fighter
SFD Account: Endless

Post by Illusion » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:50 pm

Lunatic wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:35 am
Grenades are one of the biggest counters to camping by being wide-radius explosives you can toss indirectly into vantage points to flush people out. They can't be dodged and deal a LOT of damage, encouraging players to be wary of them. If they had less distance, damage, or explosion radius, players would have no reason to fear grenades and could camp a lot harder, forcing other players to come to them and be put in a disadvantage (sometimes a brutal one, if the player camping has a powerful weapon).

Grenades are fine - in fact, I find them underwhelming in their throw distance and was hoping they might go a bit further to aid tosses onto hard-to-reach places.
So why don't you use the bat to throw the grenade far away? you sure know how to do it.

Baseball bat + Grenade = total Chaos
1 x
Are you sure that you saw me here? Illusion#0770

Lunatic

Post by Lunatic » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:26 pm

If you've played with me before you've probably seen me nail a sick cross-map nade off the bat. Thing is, throw distance isn't about horizontal movement, it's about the vertical movement. Too often players camp on the top of some roof, at the edge of an elevator or ladder, where it is hard to shoot them first. Most of the time, grenades can't go far enough upwards to get on the platform and open up an entryway, and just drop back down to you. Extra throw distance would let players throw grenades up into dangerous areas to clear some space.
1 x
SFD BADASS! 8-)

Del Poncho
Superfighter
Superfighter
Started SFD: July 2012 (1.0.5)

Post by Del Poncho » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:32 pm

Lunatic wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:26 pm
If you've played with me before you've probably seen me nail a sick cross-map nade off the bat. Thing is, throw distance isn't about horizontal movement, it's about the vertical movement. Too often players camp on the top of some roof, at the edge of an elevator or ladder, where it is hard to shoot them first. Most of the time, grenades can't go far enough upwards to get on the platform and open up an entryway, and just drop back down to you. Extra throw distance would let players throw grenades up into dangerous areas to clear some space.
We've got 8 movies (Soon to be 12) that roll around the fact that having the high ground was a tactical advantage. It should stay like that.
Choosing your ground should be important and give you advantages,and if others fail to get to a vantage point before you do,well,that's their fault.
Unless you spawn directly there with just the right amount of weapons to defend it,but that's rare.
0 x
The risk I took was caluclated, but man.....am I bad at math.

Billy
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Owner of a failed Clan
SFD Account: Billy
SFD Alias: Billy
Started SFD: October 2015

Post by Billy » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:24 am

I agree with del, the high ground is surperior.

High ground memes incoming
0 x
Join Delta Squad today, if you mail me now you will get this cool private rank for FREE, but thats not all, you will also get an imaginary Cookie, so better hurry up!
Yea, ehh, that was a big fail...

Lunatic

Post by Lunatic » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:31 pm

The high ground should not equal the winning ground, and that's a very poor way to balance maps to begin with. Grenades were made to flush people out of their cover, and cover on a higher space makes it incredibly difficult to approach, let alone get a grenade into their perch. More distance would be more height, making it viable to throw grenades into higher spaces.
0 x
SFD BADASS! 8-)

Billy
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Owner of a failed Clan
SFD Account: Billy
SFD Alias: Billy
Started SFD: October 2015

Post by Billy » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:03 pm

Lunatic wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:31 pm
The high ground should not equal the winning ground, and that's a very poor way to balance maps to begin with. Grenades were made to flush people out of their cover, and cover on a higher space makes it incredibly difficult to approach, let alone get a grenade into their perch. More distance would be more height, making it viable to throw grenades into higher spaces.
Do not underestimate the power of the high ground!

But a valid point you got there
0 x
Join Delta Squad today, if you mail me now you will get this cool private rank for FREE, but thats not all, you will also get an imaginary Cookie, so better hurry up!
Yea, ehh, that was a big fail...

Lunatic

Post by Lunatic » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:42 pm

Well of course the high ground is strong. In order to reach the high ground, you must either:
-Jump to it, which puts you in the air and thus unable to dodge, making you a prime target for shooting
-Climb a ladder to it, which again makes you susceptible to taking a hit as you poke your head over the ledge
-Ride an elevator to it, which usually closes off any possible escape routes or has very little room to dodge, which means if you force your way up you better control the situation quickly.

In most high ground scenarios, the camper in question will have cover of some sort. This is the main reason players will want to toss throwables into their perch to begin with. Molotovs shatter on contact, making them difficult for throwing, and mines have a very small detonating radius. C4 has a long arming time that can't be cooked out like grenades, but the bigger explosion radius helps somewhat. This makes grenades the best thing to throw since they can be cooked to explode sooner or just tossed to put pressure on the camper.

That's the big deal here. Frankly I don't know why a call to nerf grenades in any capacity other than their impact was submitted. Grenades before they impacted players were great. Now they feel like they only exist to stunlock -> death.
0 x
SFD BADASS! 8-)

Del Poncho
Superfighter
Superfighter
Started SFD: July 2012 (1.0.5)

Post by Del Poncho » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:51 pm

I believe grenades are in a perfectly balanced state right now,except,as you said,for their stun capacity.

I personally believe that the whole throwing items thing is messed up,both in the damage and stun part. Everything is now always thrown around,and while this helps a bit against running folks,it makes the fights really ugly to me.
I'd really,really prefer to see someone throwing his empty pistol as a "last resort" thing,a desperate move. Now it's just the most obvious and strong choice. It makes more sense right now to throw your weapons,rather than using them like God intended.
The way they can just disarm you,or make you fall (especially if combined with a grab) is just too much to waste the weapon by hitting someone in melee/shooting him. Heck,even the damage is too good not to throw them.

But this probably belongs to another topic,that yet has to be written.
1 x
The risk I took was caluclated, but man.....am I bad at math.