Dear forum users! In compliance with the new European GDPR regulations, we'd just like to inform you that if you have an account, your email address is stored in our database. We do not share your information with third parties, and your email address and password are encrypted for security reasons.

New to the forum? Say hello in this topic! Also make sure to read the rules.

More Slots?!?!?!

Give us your input on how we may improve the game in future versions.
Forum rules
By using the forum you agree to the following rules. For this forum you also need to follow these additional rules.
Morpheus
Fighter
Fighter
Title: No Spoon?
SFD Account: Morpheus
SFD Alias: Morpheus
Started SFD: Web Version

Re: More Slots?!?!?!

Post by Morpheus » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:56 pm

KliPeH wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:47 pm
Evilsack wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:12 pm
How about the camera? How about the amount of cover available in a map? It'll literally be a fuckfest trying to get to a weapon and cover. 20 people in a server may actually do the opposite of what you hope it'll do. Chaos is fun in moderation. What happens to running and gunning? What happens to cqc? Yea, it's an option but why would someone pick such an option? What's appealing about having 20 people in a server other than "I can fit all my friends!" The unique gameplay that is sfd will simply be reduced to spray and pray.

but you dont underSTAAAAAANDDD
why not trYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY the change before we say "no"

Morpheus wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:48 pm
Pricey, I think Simple code can be implemented into adding 12 more player slots.
Is it just me or am I wrong?!?!?!

So to summarize your point - "I have never seen a piece of code in my life and I think building netcode is easy".

I can only assume you really want this to be a thing, otherwise you wouldn't be chanting the same mantra over and over again about the game being unique or whatnot, as if it's a sound argument in favor of wasting precious dev time. All you've said so far is "I want chaos regardless of whether it's in good taste or not", and we've said "we honestly don't think chaos is even good at that point". You haven't tried to disprove that. I'm opposed to the idea of this becoming normalized - servers chock full of players up each others' asses on cramped maps otherwise fit and/or designed around 4-6 player play. That's not necessarily going to happen, but if it will it will influence me as a player myself; I don't want to see a list of dedicated servers hosting 20 player lobbies and those lobbies being the only places where players gather. This usually happens on other largely-multiplayer games; the first two servers in the list being nearly completely full, and the rest empty because people don't want to play alone, but don't want to be the ones to start a game either.

The community is already small and I wouldn't want to see it split that way. Just because the server I personally frequent doesn't use bad settings doesn't mean the others won't. I'd hate seeing server hosts do this simply because I don't think that's a good way to play the game. The official maps aren't designed to contain this many players and so are most of the custom ones. Same thing with melee-only servers, except those don't really influence the player counter on the other servers I don't feel. It's just another argument against this system - instead of having lots of different servers with different maps, themes, settings and gamemodes, with 4-8 players in each, we'll be having way less but with more players in them. You're essentially gathering players under the same few roofs which can potentially have an unfavorable setting. I know it would deter a player like me from joining multiplayer games and might deter others as well.

Then there's the counter argument - if the players do end up flocking to these servers, doesn't that means that's what the community really wants? That would be a fair point. That's just my 2 cents on the matter, though; if I think I can foresee something bad happen I'll probably go ahead and try to prevent it.
No need for the hostility and sarcasm. I still don't get what you are fighting about when my point is I said we should just try this instead of ignoring the suggestion immediately. I just read bits from your Paragraphs and decided you don't want this to be a thing. I never said building NetCode is easy, I just said it should not be that hard to add 12 more players in the player system. I have coded myself you know.

Well I think this post is gonna get us fighting so I suggest you lock it since you might do it anyways
-Morpheus
Last edited by Morpheus on Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Physics, is the real red pill.

Evilsack
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: you make me sick.
SFD Account: Evilsack
Started SFD: Pre-Alpha 1.2.1

Post by Evilsack » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:30 pm

First you want 20 people, now you want 26? Damn make up your mind.
Also, suggestions don't work like that. You share your idea, which you have done correctly and the *community* constructively criticise your idea. 20 people simply will not work. It's far too many people for a single map. 8 people is suitable. I see maybe 2 more slots being added in the future, but 20 is too much to ask for.
1 x
-Evilsack

KliPeH
Title: [happy moth noises]
SFD Account: KliPeH
Started SFD: Pre-Alpha 1.4.2

Post by KliPeH » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:26 am

Morpheus wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:56 pm
I still don't get what you are fighting about [...]
Morpheus wrote:
I just read bits from your Paragraphs [...]
Morpheus wrote:
No need for the hostility and sarcasm.
I rest my case. You cannot possibly prove a point to someone who doesn't even have the attention span to read what you're saying. This is why we need sarcasm, not necessarily hostility. If you've ever wondered what desensitized people like me to community suggestions and made them that cynical, it would be this thing right here.

Morpheus wrote:
Well I think this post is gonna get us fighting so I suggest you lock it since you might do it anyways
-Morpheus
Don't be ridiculous. We won't lock a genuine suggestion because there's disagreement about it among the players. "Oh no, I underestimated the amount of thought and time I need to put into my posts to make a good and coherent argument! Please lock my thread so I'm not a subject to more criticism!" Doesn't work that way. If you want the thread locked, we'll lock it. Or, you know, you could grow up and understand the moment you post something here you're open to constructive criticism of any kind, even if people are not necessarily sugarcoating their words. It's not an excuse to be a dick, but then again, I don't see anybody in this thread being one and that's including myself.
1 x

Morpheus
Fighter
Fighter

Post by Morpheus » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:51 am

KliPeH wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:26 am
Morpheus wrote:
I still don't get what you are fighting about [...]
Morpheus wrote:
I just read bits from your Paragraphs [...]
Morpheus wrote:
No need for the hostility and sarcasm.
I rest my case. You cannot possibly prove a point to someone who doesn't even have the attention span to read what you're saying. This is why we need sarcasm, not necessarily hostility. If you've ever wondered what desensitized people like me to community suggestions and made them that cynical, it would be this thing right here.

Morpheus wrote:
-Morpheus
Don't be ridiculous. We won't lock a genuine suggestion because there's disagreement about it among the players. "Oh no, I underestimated the amount of thought and time I need to put into my posts to make a good and coherent argument! Please lock my thread so I'm not a subject to more criticism!" Doesn't work that way. If you want the thread locked, we'll lock it. Or, you know, you could grow up and understand the moment you post something here you're open to constructive criticism of any kind, even if people are not necessarily sugarcoating their words. It's not an excuse to be a dick, but then again, I don't see anybody in this thread being one and that's including myself.
Well I'am really sorry but I don't think I have time to read like 2 whole paragraphs of ones opinion. I just took points from your arguments summarized them myself by taking points from your opinions that you put into lengthy paragraphs.
"So to summarize your point - "I have never seen a piece of code in my life and I think building netcode is easy"."
I can only assume you really want this to be a thing, otherwise you wouldn't be chanting the same mantra over and over again about the game being unique or whatnot, as if it's a sound argument in favor of wasting precious dev time."
I don't think that was necessary, we were just basically discussing how that we could TRY the 20 player system and the reason I kept
getting was " Too much chaos" and one which I dont think is true "A lot of needless coding on Gurt's end"

All I'am saying is, we can "TRY" this suggestion. I'am not forcing it, and I'am definitely not going to be chanting out the same mantra over and over again if it's not implemented. I'am not going to be a repudiate guy just because my suggestion wasn't implemented.

And don't get me wrong, no one's being a dick here. Just a discussion that needs a bit less of attention since I think there would be other better suggestions to make the game more fun and cool than my current one right now. That's why I asked to lock it.
0 x

Tom Th3 Assasin
Superfighter
Superfighter
SFD Account: JakMike
Started SFD: 2017

Post by Tom Th3 Assasin » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:53 pm

Make your topic to 10 slots,and everyone here will be happy.
0 x
There is not a single thing that I can't do

https://imgur.com/a/Ybqji

Evilsack
Superfighter
Superfighter

Post by Evilsack » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:00 am

Give good reasons for your ideas and justify them, and we'll all be happy.
0 x
-Evilsack

New Blues
Fighter
Fighter
Title: lmao boi
SFD Account: DissidentRaptor
SFD Alias: Psyko Sauce/Psyko Salsa
Started SFD: Since 2014
Post by New Blues » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:46 pm

I don't like this idea.
Some people have some bad computers,and cannot run the game over 40-60 fps with 8 players.Imagine how this would be with 20 players.
Plus,the officials maps are damn small and they're made for 8 players,not higher.
And,wonder how the ping would be ; over 600,trust me.
0 x
lmao u got wr8kt boi (if u're kilipaleh ur not wr8kted u're noscoped m9)

KliPeH

Post by KliPeH » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:23 pm

New Blues wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:46 pm
Some people have some bad computers,and cannot run the game over 40-60 fps with 8 players.Imagine how this would be with 20 players.
As long as such changes are properly optimized, this is not a factor that should be taken into account when applying them to the game. Not as long as SFD stays in the realm of "an indie 2D action game". Not every improvement to the game should be reconsidered because people are still running it on old hardware. If any such change makes the game require more processing power on the user's end the minimum requirements should be updated accordingly.

I'll repeat what I said last time this was brought up: the devs cannot and should not try and cater to every person playing the game on their age old computer. If you cannot play the game with a satisfactory framerate consider getting on with the times and upgrading it. It's like being overweight and mourning over the fact NASA won't let you be an astronaut; you either improve your physical state so you have a shot at the job, or you stay overweight and stop complaining.

I agree with your other point though. Hosting a full 20-slot server must require one hell of a data plan.
1 x

New Blues
Fighter
Fighter
Title: lmao boi
SFD Account: DissidentRaptor
SFD Alias: Psyko Sauce/Psyko Salsa
Started SFD: Since 2014
Post by New Blues » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:48 pm

Sometimes you cannot afford better computer. SFD is a fun game,people with bad computer want to play it,even with their laptop,but I think mostly of them willn't run BETA.
0 x
lmao u got wr8kt boi (if u're kilipaleh ur not wr8kted u're noscoped m9)

KliPeH

Post by KliPeH » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:03 pm

New Blues wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:48 pm
SFD is a fun game,people with bad computer want to play it,even with their laptop
You can't eat the cake and leave it whole. If my father's PC (built for work, not gaming or anything of the sort) is 6 years old and can run the game at 90 FPS on max graphics and resolution something on your end is wrong, not the game's.
0 x

Sree
Superfighter
Superfighter
SFD Account: phasmic
SFD Alias: sree

Post by Sree » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:33 pm

" i think i have to close 2 slots, 8 players in one lobby is a mess " ~ Morpheus after getting 3v1'ed in his server.
1 x

Morpheus
Fighter
Fighter

Post by Morpheus » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:57 pm

Sree I never said this
Why are you here to instigate trouble?

Klipeh, Sree is gonna start up trouble again.
You better take a look at this.
Sree wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:33 pm
" i think i have to close 2 slots, 8 players in one lobby is a mess " ~ Morpheus after getting 3v1'ed in his server.
Woah, I never said this
And please don't bring trouble to this post :lol:
If you still have issues with me please feel free to express them elsewhere.
If you can't speak with an opinion on the matter of my suggestion, please leave the thread. :D
Last edited by KliPeH on Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Edited a triple-post in.
1 x

Evilsack
Superfighter
Superfighter

Post by Evilsack » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:56 pm

I don't think you call upon a moderator like that. Just ignore the shit he says. It'll go away.
1 x
-Evilsack

JakSparro98
Superfighter
Superfighter
Started SFD: PreAlpha 1.0.5

Post by JakSparro98 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:04 pm

If something like that will ever be implemented, I would suggest adding some kind of "max players per map" option to partly save the gameplay of that map in particular, I said partly because you could always change it in the editor as you want, since we are not allowed to lock our maps...
0 x

Morpheus
Fighter
Fighter

Post by Morpheus » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:12 pm

JakSparro98 wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:04 pm
If something like that will ever be implemented, I would suggest adding some kind of "max players per map" option to partly save the gameplay of that map in particular, I said partly because you could always change it in the editor as you want, since we are not allowed to lock our maps...
Mhm,could be a suggestion for evilsack's argument of too many players on "Alley".
But I mean, that wouldn't really work since people use the map rotation option.
Having maps with max or no max amount of players won't really work. What about the other
players in the server? Will they be kicked when the maps that have the "max players per map" turn up?
1 x

JakSparro98
Superfighter
Superfighter
Started SFD: PreAlpha 1.0.5

Post by JakSparro98 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:03 pm

Morpheus wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:12 pm
What about the other
players in the server? Will they be kicked when the maps that have the "max players per map" turn up?
Not exactly, I was thinking like this will make the map not selectable if the players requirement is not satisfied.
0 x

RickAvory
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Sunny City Nationalist
SFD Account: Rick Avory
SFD Alias: (EA) Rick Avory
Started SFD: Sep 2016

Post by RickAvory » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:21 am

In theory it sounds great but having 20 people in one map is completely chaotic. I even think 8 is too many, whenever i host i close 2 slots to keep the server at a minimum of 6. I guess it all comes down to personal preference but i feel that having 20 people in a map like storage is a bit absurd.
1 x
We must root out the impurities in our midst