Dear forum users! In compliance with the new European GDPR regulations, we'd just like to inform you that if you have an account, your email address is stored in our database. We do not share your information with third parties, and your email address and password are encrypted for security reasons.

New to the forum? Say hello in this topic! Also make sure to read the rules.

New Weapon: Ballistic Shield

Give us your input on how we may improve the game in future versions.
Forum rules
By using the forum you agree to the following rules. For this forum you also need to follow these additional rules.
KliPeH
Title: [happy moth noises]
SFD Account: KliPeH
Started SFD: Pre-Alpha 1.4.2

New Weapon: Ballistic Shield

Post by KliPeH » Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:19 pm

// Intro

"Ballistic shields are shields designed to stop or deflect bullets fired at their carrier. Although modern ballistic shields are specifically designed to protect against handgun, long gun, and shotgun projectile threats, many will additionally protect against most types of stabbing or cutting-type weaponry, and [...] will reliably defeat high-velocity centerfire rifle calibers at muzzle velocities."

The shield will be a crucial part of defensive weapon setups, and might even finally draw a clear line between a run-n'-gun style, and a more conservative, tactical approach to the game. It's a bulky piece of equipment aiming to protect the player (and their teammates) from any and all incoming fire in a direction they are facing. Combining immunity to melee weaponry and high resistance to ranged weapons, it's a fine choice (and perhaps the only one) in a flag/point defender's arsenal, or a player wishing to take a defensive approach for a certain amount of time.

// Main Features
  • Even though it's technically equipment and not an offensive weapon, the shield is placed inside the first (primary weapon) slot.
  • Carrying the shield results in a speed penalty - any player carrying it cannot run, and as a result cannot dive either. Switching weapons does not remove the penalty; to remove it, the shield must be dropped or replaced entirely.
  • The shield acts as a constant "block" action in melee combat - meaning that unless you pass the block and attack from behind, any attack from the front or when overlapping the blocking player will be negated.
  • It has infinite durability[1], meaning that at the expense of mobility and an offensive playstyle you can provide somewhat reliable cover for yourself and your teammates throughout the whole duration of the match.
  • It has a small chance (10%?) to deflect an incoming bullet rather than absorbing it.
  • It covers the upper leg area, torso and the head, leaving the lower legs exposed to enemy fire.
  • Controls:
    (1) Merely holding the shield (first weapon slot active) will place it in front of the fighter, blocking all fire to upper legs, torso and head in the direction they are facing. The shield's area of protection is changed by walking/jogging direction.

(2) Aiming with the shield equipped allows the player to adjust the angle the shield covers[2], and also change its direction (left/right). Releasing the button returns the shield back into its default position (excluding direction change), meaning that blocking incoming bullets from different angles requires the player to stand still.

(3) Pressing the attack/fire button performs a shield shove/bash that staggers the opponent and deals slight melee damage (the equivalent of a punch)[3]. This bash has a couple-second cooldown, and the damage can be negated with a regular melee-weapon block.

(4) Crouching with the shield equipped covers the whole body of the fighter (including legs) but, as with any other weapon, removes the ability to manually adjust the angle of cover.

(5) Kicking has the same effect as without using a shield, but in order to do so the fighter moves it aside for the few frames the kick action is active. This small window can be uses by snipers to damage the shield-bearer and potentially kill them.
  • Interaction with explosive equipment:
    (1) Grenades / Grenade Launcher - The shield absorbs explosions in the direction it is deployed to, but doesn't negate knockback. In order to deal actual damage the grenade has to roll/explode behind it or explode above/below the player.

(2) Molotovs - A direct molotov hit doesn't set the player on the 2nd stage of fire instantly. Instead, they start at the 1st stage, giving the blocking player time to react to it.

(3) Mines - Work as usual, no special interaction with a shield-bearing player.

(4) Bazooka - Rockets explode on impact[4] with the shield without dealing any impact damage. A single rocket can destroy the shield completely.
// Balancing

[1] The shield having infinite health can be a balancing issue, in the sense that it can be considered way too overpowered. Additionally to being completely immune to melee weapons it can take an infinite amount of bullets, which can be a massive advantage on certain maps. Then again, that's the whole point of it, and the question that should be asked is whether the movement penalty and the weapon penalty have enough impact to justify giving one player such control over damage dealt to himself and those around him. If they are, keep it infinite. If they aren't:
  • Option A: Limited health - 75/100/150 HP should suffice. After the durability meter reaches 0 the shield breaks like any other melee weapon. The problem with this is that giving such equipment limited health moves away from the idea of a whole different playstyle, and gets closer to the idea of temporary equipment, and fairly useless one at that; at that point the cons are way more significant than the pros, as people would rather retreat to look for better weapons/more health rather than stay immobile and take additional 15 MP5 rounds, or an extra 2-3 sniper rounds. Dodging is probably way more viable in that case, but it's one way to solve the issue.
  • Option B: "Absolute defense" phase - limit HP, say 50. Block 50HP worth of bullets, after which the shield becomes less effective, meaning with every bullet it absorbs the bullet has a chance to bypass the shield entirely and damage the player. Gradually increase that chance with every X amount of bullets hitting it, up to 50%-75% to bypass it. Players are given two equally-risky choices: either rely on RNG to protect you, or drop the shield and look for better defensive methods.
[2] Disallow aiming the shield at a 90° angle, making it impossible to protect the area directly above the head or below the feet. This takes away some control from the shield-bearer and gives the attacker more ways to damage them (such as shooting them from right below/above). Giving the shield potential to protect the user in a 360° field is probably unfair, but this can be debated.

[3] On the topic of a shield dealing melee damage equal to a punch:
  • Option A: Remove the melee attack in its entirety so that shield-users are forced to expose themselves through kicking.
  • Option B: Remove the melee damage from the shield bash so it is solely used to control attackers rather than a way to damage them and potentially kill them. Use this to nerf the shield so it has less advantages, in case it is considered too useful/overpowered.
  • Option C: Increase the melee damage the shield can deal so it's not completely useless offense-wise. I don't think this is necessary because the user CAN equip a melee weapon or a secondary weapon which he then can switch to if needed, but this is still an option.
[4] On the topic of damage dealt to the shield through explosions:
  • Option A: Low explosion resistance - break the shield if a GL grenade/rocket directly hit the shield, deal no damage to the user.
  • Option B: No explosion resistance - shield doesn't break on GL grenade/rocket impact, but doesn't block any damage either. Force rocket riding even if the shield is equipped.
13 x

dudely-kay
Fighter
Fighter
Title: Me, myself and I
Started SFD: 1.8.4
Post by dudely-kay » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:47 pm

Gurt already suggested a kind of protective armor that you can pick up, i can't recall in wich topic he did.
But i like the idea, seeing all these suggestions in this new forum i think that v 1.9 is on the way !

Added in 1 minute 41 seconds:
Gurt already suggested a kind of protective armor that you can pick up, i can't recall in wich topic he did.
But i like the idea, seeing all these suggestions in this new forum i think that v 1.9 is on the way !
1 x

Lunatic
Title: I hope Klipeh bans himself
SFD Alias: (LM) Lunatic
Started SFD: 1.0.5 Pre-Alpha

Post by Lunatic » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:26 am

I'd love to see this implemented in some way or another. Having a tanky, heavy type of way to play this game would add a huge dynamic to the game as opposed to runnin' n' gunnin' that we see and use, day in and day out.
3 x
Originally posted by Gurt
SFD BADASS! 8-)

KliPeH

Post by KliPeH » Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:33 am

dudely-kay wrote:Gurt already suggested a kind of protective armor that you can pick up, i can't recall in wich topic he did.
The protective armor idea doesn't even get close to the ballistic shield one. While both can potentially prolong the player's life and help them survive on the field, equipping a ballistic shield should be a decision actually worth thinking about. Would you be willing to lose speed and a weapon that could help you defeat your enemies to protect your teammates or defend the objective? After all, the right shield+secondary weapon setup can easily defend a choke point and fend off 1-3 attackers, as the shield having an unlimited amount of health means that your enemy is more likely to run out of ammo than you dying behind it. It's a high-risk-high-reward kind of scenario, except the risk gets smaller the better your team can assess the situation and attack/run behind you when necessary.

It also might be the first physical piece of equipment that cannot damage your allies, but rather help them survive. Blocking that door with your shield as your teammate desperately looks for health might just be the thing that wins you the match, even if you're the one who dies in the process. There's decision making, there's synergy, there's strategy and tactics, these all get combined very well with the theme of the game and the more slow-paced direction it has been heading towards in the latest updates.

Equipping armor has no decision-making involved in it whatsoever. It's straight up more health > less health; it's a straight up stat boost, and there's literally no downside to equipping it at any point of the game.
Lunatic wrote:I'd love to see this implemented in some way or another. Having a tanky, heavy type of way to play this game would add a huge dynamic to the game as opposed to runnin' n' gunnin' that we see and use, day in and day out.
I'd love to have a slow setup implemented as well, but other than this I can't really think of anything that could help make progress towards taking a generally more tactical approach in the SFD playerbase. I think applying speed penalties on the rare M60/Bazooka/Sniper would be the best way to go from there, but I don't know if there's anything else that will have this effect equipment-wise.
0 x

Lunatic
Title: I hope Klipeh bans himself
SFD Alias: (LM) Lunatic
Started SFD: 1.0.5 Pre-Alpha

Post by Lunatic » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:28 am

Perhaps making it so the player behind the shield can more easily push opposition away? Make the shield more than just "he's vulnerable in the back", make it so that he's a fucking wall and players can't just move through him. Either add some collision so that he's a moving wall of sorts, or make it so that he has a very powerful shove ability to get opponents off of him.

I like the wall idea more though. Allies could use the shield as a platform when he aims it straight up, giving them a boost for a vantage point or means of escape.
0 x
Originally posted by Gurt
SFD BADASS! 8-)

KliPeH

Post by KliPeH » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:48 am

Lunatic wrote:Perhaps making it so the player behind the shield can more easily push opposition away? Make the shield more than just "he's vulnerable in the back", make it so that he's a fucking wall and players can't just move through him. Either add some collision so that he's a moving wall of sorts, or make it so that he has a very powerful shove ability to get opponents off of him.

I like the wall idea more though. Allies could use the shield as a platform when he aims it straight up, giving them a boost for a vantage point or means of escape.
I thought about that at first but later realized it would probably be weird to make the shield the only item other players can literally touch and interact with. I mean, is it even possible to give weapons/items such properties? You don't see players bumping into each other or getting stunned by thrown grenades; is it a design choice or simply not doable with the Box2D engine?

I do love the shield-platform idea though. Kinda reminds me of Towerfall: Ascention.
0 x

Player1
Superfighter
Superfighter
Started SFD: PreAlpha 1.0

Post by Player1 » Mon May 30, 2016 8:28 pm

! Message from: KliPeH
As a result of a change in Rule #12, Player1's separate topic ("Item Suggestion- Heavy Riot Shield") has been merged into this one (KliPeH's "New Weapon: Ballistic Shield").
Note that some of the replies past this post are directed at this suggestion rather than the one in the original post.
Weapon Idea: Heavy Riot Shield

I've seen many suggestions for the Riot Shield, but this isn't just any riot shield, it's a Heavy Riot Shield.
(I've thought hard about integrations for the Heavy Riot Shield)

-The Heavy Riot Shield doesn't spawn, it's a dynamic weapon like chairs and suitcases. *Edit: Or maybe it can be a spawnable
- While using the Heavy Riot Shield, the player takes cover under it, the speed the player moves at is walking speed.
- Double tap to change directions while moving, turning takes 3 seconds or longer and is very slow.

-Players can shoot 1 handed guns, (Pistols, Magnums,etc.) but only in 1 direction. (Foward)
-Players can also shoot 2 handed guns, but they stay unmoving and can be hit from behind.
-Players can use 1 handed weapons, (Batons, Pipe Wrench, etc.) in 1 direction. (Foward)

How to disarm the Heavy Riot Shield?
(Again the Heavy Riot Shield, is big and slow moving it has a lot of space)
-Players can jump on top of the shield and kick the Heavy Riot Shield user in the head to disarm.
*If the user is turning though, the player standing on top of the shield will fall.*
-Hit the user from behind, or break the highly durable shield.

Fall Damage
-The Heavy Riot Shield will take half of the fall damage.
The falling animation with the Heavy Riot Shield includes the player putting the riot shield under them.

Heavy Riot Shield Attacks
-If a player sheathes all their other weapons, they'll be able to perform a Heavy Riot Shield smash, which shoves players and puts them in the stumbling animation.
-Falling on top of other players with the Heavy Riot Shield. It will give the player fallen on the fall damage.

-A Heavy Riot Shield user will stumble back if they take a heavy attack. Or from explosives like the Grenades, Mines, Grenade Launchers, or Bazookas.

Durability- *Will edit later*

Rarity- *Up to map makers*, *Similar to Sniper Rifle and Bazooka*
0 x

000bny000
Meatbag

Post by 000bny000 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:01 pm

As a result of a change in Rule #12, 000bny000's separate topic ("a new melee weapon : the shield") has been merged into this one (KliPeH's "New Weapon: Ballistic Shield").
Note that some of the replies past this post are directed at this suggestion rather than the one in the original post.
a shield would be something great, he would work as a melee weapon when equipped , it appears the utility bar shell it would basically to block the damage from bullets

it does NOT block the damage :
bazooka
grenade launcher
grenade
mines

the Molotov could be blocked if hit the shield,spreads would fire for whom this holding , although the shield would be hit causing damage to the shield

to equip the shield, you would press the button you use to defend projectiles with katana (in my case , the S button ) to put the shield in defense so would cause you to block the damage .

and the attack button would hit the shield causing the pipe wrench damage
1 x

Raptor
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Pro
Started SFD: 0.0.0 I'm SFD
Location: In the secret base of the SFD masters who snipe people's heads off

Post by Raptor » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:40 pm

000bny000 wrote:
to equip the shield, you would press the button you use to defend projectiles with katana (in my case , the S button ) to put the shield in defense so would cause you to block the damage
I like the idea but I don't get this part above... Do you mean press the block button because blocking a punch and a projectile is the same key(button)
1 x
im back guys!!!!!!

Powerbombs
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: four dimensional lasagna
SFD Account: Powerbombs
SFD Alias: powerbomb, bomberman
Started SFD: pre alpha 1.2

Post by Powerbombs » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:55 am

0 x
#RemoveFlamethrower

mgtr14
Superfighter
Superfighter
SFD Account: OkOkOK
SFD Alias: Witness Pink Jaeky!
Started SFD: 2016
Post by mgtr14 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:09 pm

It would be nice if crouching would make it impossible for thrown grenades to pass under you, and you aren't able to roll either.
EDIT: One way to stop shielders in their tracks is to throw grenades, since they will have to crouch, if they are standing up, a grenade from the front should be enough to deal alof of damage.

If you want to have the shield-platform implemented, then pressing the block key to put the shield over your head is the way to go.
1 x
Shut up bitch!!

btelchi
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: . . .
SFD Account: @btelchi
SFD Alias: I've got plenty
Started SFD: PreAlpha
Post by btelchi » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:46 pm

Merged a new take on an idea with an older thread.
It can be used to qickly run from a certain dangerous situations like a guy with an M60, or else. I'm not 100% sure but in my opinion it should cover the 5th slot, the slot of the slomo'. It's pluses and minuses:
+It's really REALLY hard to shoot thro' it. (Not sure about the damage must be given to break it)
+You'll be able to shoot second slot weapoons while using it. (pistol, magnum etc.)
+It covers all your body, so you won't get shot in the legs.
+It can be put on the ground and used as cover afterwards, or to make your running way more easy for example you've got small hp, and you need to run to the elevator, but if you leave your cover your enemy will shoot you, so you put your shield down (it's higher then a barrel or a normal cover) and safely run to it. (Maybe if you crouch, and press 5th slot button, your character will put it on the ground, or else and it will be able to pick up it later, if not broken)
+You'll be able to punch with it, if your enemy get's closer.
+Will block the explosives damage, but not fully. (Not including bazooka)
+Your front is completely safe, free from damage.
+It will block all melee damage given to it, with a little damage to the shield. (Not including the 3d combo attack (The uppercut) because it can disarm you and even make you drop the shield.
+Your teammates will be able to hide behind you as you walk with it and save you if someone get close, or just using you as a cover. xD
-Small attack damage, and speed.
-You walk much slower when carrying it in your inventory, and MUCH slower when in hands.
-You won't be able to jump.
-You won't be able to climb anywhere.
-You won't be able to kick.
-You won't be able to shoot 3d slot weapoons.
-You will be disarmed if meleed from the back, or exploded from the back.
-It's not invincible, so it will break. (Not soon, but it will)
So that's all for it. But maybe you'll also have another one in game, a smaller one (Pic №2). It's pluses and minuses:
+It will block some of the shots.
+You will be able to melee, kick, dive, block, run and climb anywhere you want, but with a little more stamina drain.
+You will be able to use 3d slot weapoons.
+It's lighter that a riot shield so you won't walk slower carrying it.
+Your character will automaticly use it if in hands and shooting a gun.
-It won't block leg damage.
-It will break faster than the riot one.
-It won't block all the damage, if meleed.
-You won't be able to use it as cover.
All shields will be shown on your character.
1 x
Join our agency today. Copy AAT ayy
https://discord.gg/rB3GgCt
America is a tune, it must be sung together.

Oof Boi
Meatbag
SFD Account: DaddyOof
SFD Alias: DaddyOof
Started SFD: Beta v.1.0.2c
Post by Oof Boi » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:45 am

Merged a new take on an idea with an older thread.
Though this may never be implemented, I figure maybe there’s a 0.1% chance it will. Shields would be in the melee slot and would block all damage from which the user is facing, and deflect bullets. While holding a shield, players would be able to move at about walking speed while also blocking damage. Players holding a shield would not be able to kick or punch but could throw the shield sort of like how trash can lids are thrown. Say if an opponent with an assault rifle was behind cover and you have no ranged weapons, you could use the shield to try and close the distance on him.
1 x

psychotherapist
Fighter
Fighter
SFD Account: psychotherapist
SFD Alias: krameraad
Started SFD: Pre-Alpha 1.8.8

Post by psychotherapist » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:52 pm

I think it's an interesting idea. More unique weapons/items are always good, and some form of handheld cover seems like a good way to counter the camping issue people have talked about. You would be able to move from cover to cover a bit more safely using this.

Some of my own ideas:
Instead of having the shield always be raised, you have it to your side by default and you raise it by holding the attack button. You only suffer from the movement penalty while it's raised and it also has a hitbox during the transition animation which you can use to damage enemies in melee range and reflect bullets perfectly if you time it right.
Holding the block button allows you to aim the shield in any direction at the cost of having to standing still, just like ranged weapons.
1 x

Rick Sanchez
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Alcoholic
SFD Account: Rick Sanchez
SFD Alias: Rick Sanchez
Started SFD: 1.5.0b

Post by Rick Sanchez » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:26 am

Maybe it can be balanced by making it take the Primary weapon slot?
Last edited by KliPeH on Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Quoting the whole thread for a 2-line response isn't necessary.
0 x

KliPeH

Post by KliPeH » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:51 am

Rick Sanchez wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:26 am
KliPeH wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:19 pm
  • Even though it's technically equipment and not an offensive weapon, the shield is placed inside the first (primary weapon) slot.
Good job reading literally the very first feature I suggested lol
0 x

Sree
Superfighter
Superfighter
SFD Account: phasmic
SFD Alias: sree

Post by Sree » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:58 am

KliPeH wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:51 am
Rick Sanchez wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:26 am
KliPeH wrote:
Good job reading literally the very first feature I suggested lol
" Yeah good job in missing out a small part of my colossal post, you suggested something that I already stated in the post. what a joke xd "

He might have just skipped that part or have not read it entirely because he thought that part was trivial, There is utterly no good reason to be sarcastic about it.
0 x

GreenyShark
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Stealing kills from range
SFD Alias: Greeny
Started SFD: PreAlpha 1.7.0

Post by GreenyShark » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:08 pm

Since this is a shield taking explosive damage, Would the explosions deal knock-back to the shield holder? Or will the shield just take the damage and no movement is dealt to the player?
Also is the shield going to be made out of wood or metal? Because If it's made out of wood, the health span would be less. If it's made out of metal, It should be able to deflect bullets.
0 x

Tom Th3 Assasin
Superfighter
Superfighter
SFD Account: JakMike
Started SFD: 2017

Post by Tom Th3 Assasin » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:59 am

GreenyShark wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:08 pm
Also is the shield going to be made out of wood or metal? Because If it's made out of wood, the health span would be less. If it's made out of metal, It should be able to deflect bullets.
1st:This is how our shield would look like.100% Titanium 0% wood
Image i would have never knew that such a beautiful post existed by Klipeh.thanks to psychotherapist for reviving the thread.i have already done some animation stuff regarding only in my own suggestions.but here i see in the original post's concept lies precise,delicate,deep in detail instructions which makes us ease at imagining.
So here we go. Image Image
breathing and being terrorized behind a small window at the same time.
Reign of joggers
KliPeH wrote:
Pressing the attack/fire button performs a shield shove/bash that staggers the opponent and deals slight melee damage (the equivalent of a punch)[3]. This bash has a couple-second cooldown, and the damage can be negated with a regular melee-weapon block.

Those intimidating door's can come in more alternative colors and designs.

---------Baton blue-------Classic black--------Cop's choice---------Funny Man?
8 x
There is not a single thing that I can't do

https://imgur.com/a/Ybqji

Odex64
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Content Creator
SFD Account: Odex64
Started SFD: PreAlpha

Post by Odex64 » Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:17 pm

3 x