Dear forum users! In compliance with the new European GDPR regulations, we'd just like to inform you that if you have an account, your email address is stored in our database. We do not share your information with third parties, and your email address and password are encrypted for security reasons.

New to the forum? Say hello in this topic! Also make sure to read the rules.

New Melee Weapon: Torch

Give us your input on how we may improve the game in future versions.
Forum rules
By using the forum you agree to the following rules. For this forum you also need to follow these additional rules.
Noble
Title: Modest guy
SFD Alias: Best player
New Melee Weapon: Torch

Post by Noble » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:26 am

Actually there is a lot of kind of weapons in the game, besides the planned items. Some guns do physical damage, flame, explosive, in future we will have electric damage and a small possibility of poison.

We have a fire weapon to all slots, in the second slot we have flare gun, third we have flamethrower, and molotov, except the melee slot.

I think it would be really cool a Torch as weapon in the game, the possibility of directly set fire in some stuff it will be amazing. Some players hates fire because think it's too op or something, I don't think so, and Torch will be a little chaotic and improves a lot the game.

Hit people with a Torch and endlessly burning a player looks a little bit overpower, but I think the torch is a weapon with a good durability, but, you need to set fire in the torch before burning a player, maybe hitting something with fire or another torch, then you can hit something and the fire in your torch goes on.
10 x
When I was 22 I read this book
And I swore
"I'll stay my way, I'll stay my way"

Snoppy
Fighter
Fighter
Title: The Silent
SFD Alias: Erga Omnes
Started SFD: PreAlpha 1.8.5

Post by Snoppy » Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:51 am

you have big ideas, big nose, a torch would be cool, but it would be really quite strong, must hit once, the fire goes out, and have to wait a bit to light again ... and so would be balanced xD.
1 x
The Silent

Powerbombs
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: four dimensional lasagna
SFD Account: Powerbombs
SFD Alias: powerbomb, bomberman
Started SFD: pre alpha 1.2

Post by Powerbombs » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:42 pm

Can we not bring Minecraft into this, please? Fire is already more annoying than anything else, so why make it more annoying?
0 x
#RemoveFlamethrower

Billy
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Owner of a failed Clan
SFD Account: Billy
SFD Alias: Billy
Started SFD: October 2015

Post by Billy » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:12 pm

If a torch is MC, SFD is GTA cause of guns.
And fire is balanced, its only really strong if the enemy got a flamer.
2 x
Join Delta Squad today, if you mail me now you will get this cool private rank for FREE, but thats not all, you will also get an imaginary Cookie, so better hurry up!
Yea, ehh, that was a big fail...

Formel
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Not drunk enough
SFD Alias: Col. Kelly Formel
Started SFD: PreAlpha 1.4.2

Post by Formel » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:33 pm

Yeah-yeah, and we need flaming fists as powerups. What's next, automatic melee weapon, like chainsaw? Oh he...
Nice idea, btw. But I think it needs a chance to set on fire that's not 100%. More like 75% or smth.
1 x
Regin of doom! Deciver of fools! Alcoholic! Bad puns included.

Duck
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: gogogadgetkeyboard
SFD Account: Shui
Started SFD: Jul 2013

Post by Duck » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:58 pm

How about adding the gas lamp as a makeshift weapon;

You can break it over someone's head (like a bottle), then it would set them on fire and a small amount of flames would fly out of it.

Maybe when you're carrying the lamp around it would light flammable stuff if you stayed near them. Hell it could even light stuff it was sitting by (like before someone picks it up).

And if you threw it at someone while it was lit it would just bounce off of them with a small chance of breaking (depending on the speed).
5 x
'<'

Noble
Post by Noble » Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:52 am

That was a really good idea, of all of you guys. Fire melee weapon (as a makeshift weapon or not) would open a lot of possibilities and improves the game.

And minecraft? Uh, I don't where is your mind.

Even when players are in hurt animation after had a Torch hit, it will not be stronger than Flamethrower anyway. While in fire, you got 5,6 damage per 200 ms, a Assault Rifle does 14 damage per 200 ms. A Torch or a Lamp can do a physical damage + set fire and anyway will not be op.

I really don't know why it was not added yet.
0 x
And I swore

Powerbombs
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: four dimensional lasagna
SFD Account: Powerbombs
SFD Alias: powerbomb, bomberman
Started SFD: pre alpha 1.2

Post by Powerbombs » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:03 am

I just don't want anymore items added into the game, because in my opinion, we have enough bullshit already. Sorry, but it should be said, and I guarantee some others agree with me.
0 x
#RemoveFlamethrower

Lunatic
Title: I hope Klipeh bans himself
SFD Alias: (LM) Lunatic
Started SFD: 1.0.5 Pre-Alpha

Post by Lunatic » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:27 am

I too hate seeing additions to the game /s

Set melee damage can be low since hitstun with fire damage is scary. I see the torch being a power weapon because, yknow, fire.
0 x
Originally posted by Gurt
SFD BADASS! 8-)

Scarface
Superfighter
Superfighter
Post by Scarface » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:45 am

We have enough weapons already. Torch would be quite annoying and OP weapon, since you can do combos with all melee weapons now. It could stunlock you plus set you on fire, so it would be a hard decission whether to roll or fight back.
0 x
Decisions, decisions.

Katrtlen
Fighter
Fighter
SFD Account: Gayfish
Started SFD: Few months after release
Post by Katrtlen » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:58 pm

! Message from: KliPeH
Manually merged a new take on an idea with a similar thread.
This weapon might be unbalanced, sorry about that. Also, many people hates fire in SFD so, double sorry.

Torch

Constant information:

Torch is a makeshift weapon that is static as default. Because of that it will float in air until someone will pick it up. Torch is long, and it's burning. Fire can't hurt anything when torch is floating in air (Only works when it's static). After a player will pick it up, torch will set objects and players on fire. You can for example punch a player with it so player will start burning or you can throw it at crates so players will run away from fire.
When torch sets on fire, things starts to burn with smaller fire. Not like how flamethrower or molotov cocktails set things on a large fire!
Fire from torch cannot spread when you only hold a weapon, you must punch something with it or drop it/throw it!

Additional features (They can be not implemented):

- Torch is a bit durable, but fire on torch can extinguish after few hits.
- Torch is good for throwing.
- Torch flies like a trashcan lid.
- Torch will extinguish when falling too fast.
1 x
Green buttons are good

Venom
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Faaking Jhesus
SFD Alias: jajajaja sadasdjasiojd
Started SFD: When it was fun
Post by Venom » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:35 pm

I don't think torch is needed. flamethrower is deadly than anything.

we...got...fire...axe...
Last edited by Venom on Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
YOU FAAKING BITH NIGR BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU DO YOU ARE FAAKING YOUR FAAKING LIFE

IF YOU FAAKING FAAKING WITH TIME I WILL FAAKING COME AND KILL YOU BITH YOU DED :evil:

Pricey
Superfighter
Superfighter
SFD Alias: (LM) Pricey
Started SFD: August 2015

Post by Pricey » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:36 pm

I honestly can't see a fire-based melee weapon being added into the game without it being broken. The ability to directly set people on fire while also stunning them with melee simultaneously is just too good of a weapon to be balanced and properly implemented.
0 x

Noble
Post by Noble » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:52 pm

I think torchs are a great addition, but yeah, depends on how it's added. People have made really good suggestions above, like Duck's, and I don't think it's unbalanced, the opposite, would be fun to handle or evade, fulfill a space and bring some chaos to the game.
0 x
And I swore

ill
Fighter
Fighter
Title: Bannaned
SFD Account: ill
SFD Alias: Spider
Started SFD: When Sector 8 was official
Post by ill » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:05 pm

! Message from: KliPeH
Manually merged a new take on an idea with an existing thread.
“If you have a piece of chair (or even a chair) in your hands, you can press F in some fire and it lights up (a torch!), and it slowly (or not so slowly) burns out. If you attack, it makes the enemy go in fire after a few hits (1st stage fire), and if you throw it, it lights things up after a short while (like normal fire (also 1st stage)) And if you still have it and it “burns out”, you catch fire (1st stage, too)”

by >Guille_dlC> from Discord
0 x
Hjarpe wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:29 am
Gurt says he hates me
Gurt wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:46 pm
It happens
Lunatic wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:45 pm
haha yeah

Sree
Superfighter
Superfighter
SFD Account: phasmic
SFD Alias: sree

Post by Sree » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:45 am

This is stupid, Just adding it for the sake of " there is no fire weapon in melee slot " is irrational. Melee already has a stun effect on player when hit, and that when combined with the burning power of this weapon is obviously overpowered, like every time a person is hit with the torch, he will have to roll to get rid of the flame and again he can be hit while rolling, and blocking the next hit from torch would still put you under burning effects.
0 x

Noble
Post by Noble » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:30 am

I guess I'm posting a lot in this topic...
ill wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:05 pm
“If you have a piece of chair (or even a chair) in your hands, you can press F in some fire and it lights up (a torch!), and it slowly (or not so slowly) burns out. If you attack, it makes the enemy go in fire after a few hits (1st stage fire), and if you throw it, it lights things up after a short while (like normal fire (also 1st stage)) And if you still have it and it “burns out”, you catch fire (1st stage, too)”

by >Guille_dlC> from Discord
That's really cool, I liked this idea and how everytime this suggestion is being complemented by new perspectives.
Venom wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:35 pm
I don't think torch is needed. flamethrower is deadly than anything.
If I remember well even an Uzi deals more damage per sec than stage 2 of fire, what means if you are engaging someone with a flamethrower with same HP and both starts firing at same time, you'd be able to kill him and still be A-ok.
Sree wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:45 am
This is stupid, Just adding it for the sake of " there is no fire weapon in melee slot " is irrational. Melee already has a stun effect on player when hit, and that when combined with the burning power of this weapon is obviously overpowered, like every time a person is hit with the torch, he will have to roll to get rid of the flame and again he can be hit while rolling, and blocking the next hit from torch would still put you under burning effects.
That will never be a reason to put an item in the game. Rolling every time you get a hit is not as bothering than you think, and that's something that can be balanced, I will prove that right now. If you think it is, anyways, seems like the Shock Baton and Tazer will be similar but even more annoying (I don't think it is btw), getting stunned after a hit, isn't it? That's all about what you need or not to avoid in the battlefield.

Merging some ideas people posted here, there are ways a torch can be made:

Gas Lamp: Makeshift Weapon
Breaks after 1-3 hits.
75~100% chance of setting the enemy on fire.
A small amount of flames would fly out of it

Torch: Makeshift Weapon
A flaming piece of wood.
Breaks after 2-x hits.
Option 1: 25~75% (?) chance of setting the enemy on fire. You won't be fired up if you block.
Option 2: 50% chance of setting the enemy on fire. 10-25% chance of burning after a block.
Possibility 1: It only burns in the first hit, then the fire goes out and becomes an ordinary item.
Possibility 2: It's slower to do the 2nd and 3rd hit than other weapons, just sufficient for the opponent to be able to roll away from the next attack.
Possibility 3: If you are punched or knocked down in any way, this weapon will fly away.
The fire in the options above can start in the stage 1 or 2, whatever it's better balanced.

It's a very chaotic (=/= OP) and awesome weapon, I don't see it as overpower. In both hands - yours and opponent's - will be cool and fair to manage. It's not that a fire item is needed in the melee slot, but I just feel like this dynamics is something that's missing. Setting things on fire with your hands, firing up stuff with items other than the Flare Gun and Flamethrower, it's really ok, kinda don't know what's wrong or so strong about this.

I also considered for a second this weapon being in the melee slot, but I just realized it's unreal to carry a torch with you (the burning weapon doesn't need to be a torch anyway).

I hope more people criticize/complement this idea.
0 x
And I swore