Dear forum users! In compliance with the new European GDPR regulations, we'd just like to inform you that if you have an account, your email address is stored in our database. We do not share your information with third parties, and your email address and password are encrypted for security reasons.

New to the forum? Say hello in this topic! Also make sure to read the rules.

The SFD FAQ page needs an update

Discuss everything to do with Superfighters Deluxe here that doesn't fit in other Superfighters Deluxe Forums!
Forum rules
By using the forum you agree to the following rules.
KliPeH
Title: [happy moth noises]
SFD Account: KliPeH
Started SFD: Pre-Alpha 1.4.2

The SFD FAQ page needs an update

Post by KliPeH » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:34 am

I didn't want to post in the stickied thread so I'll make a notice as a separate post. In short, this topic can be very useful to newcomers if it stays up to date with the current state of the game. The following questions can be removed in their entirety since they're no longer relevant to v1.0.4:
► Show Spoiler
I think removing mentions of a "launcher" or a "direct download" will do good for starters. I also believe pointing to some Map Editor tutorials or tutorials in general could also do good. Maybe like a "helpful information" section or something?

Old questions can be replaced with new ones, and not only with ones regarding basic troubleshooting but also those that reflect common concerns or inquiries from newer players - since that is the point of a Frequently Asked Questions topic. You can use the FAQ platform to explain your design philosophy and give certain features a purpose - or at least an explanation of why they are the way that they are.

For example, I think some form of "The controls are weird, can you let us aim with the mouse?" question must be introduced into the FAQ since many players find the unique controls challenging or maybe even deterring at first. You can explain that the different controls is what makes SFD unique to other platform shooters and that it's an intended design choice dating back to the legacy SuperFighters game. That way you're both reinforcing the idea that the feature is intended and not just a limitation of engine/software, and that the game has a long history with deeper roots essentially using a formula that worked for a very long time and isn't going to change.

I'm sure you'll formulate a better response to the question than the one I provided but it's food for thought nonetheless.

Here are some other examples of possible questions to ask (and answer):
  • "How do I use custom map/scripts?"
  • "How can I apply custom weapon textures/sounds?"
  • "Can I mod my own weapons into the game?"
  • "I get bad ping in most servers. Are you going to host official servers in my area?"
  • "Person X is behaving badly in server Y, are you going to take action against them?"
  • "When are you going to start working on feature Z?"
  • "The campaign is too short, are you planning on expanding it or adding more campaigns later on?"
  • "Why are these so-called 'Superfighters' fighting? What the hell is going on with the story?"
That's all I can think of right now, you can suggest other questions to be put into the list down below.

EDIT:

This FAQ button at the top of the forum page should point to this thread also:

I'm not sure if that's possible to do but the default phpBB FAQ page doesn't really help anyone apart from people using a forum for the very first time. Even then it's a little too long and convoluted. I'd suggest either replacing it with a lighter, custom version of the forum FAQ page, or, like I suggested, this SFD FAQ page which is way more useful.
3 x