Dear forum users! In compliance with the new European GDPR regulations, we'd just like to inform you that if you have an account, your email address is stored in our database. We do not share your information with third parties, and your email address and password are encrypted for security reasons.

New to the forum? Say hello in this topic! Also make sure to read the rules.

How Do You Switch Your Server To Client-Side

Discuss everything to do with Superfighters Deluxe here that doesn't fit in other Superfighters Deluxe Forums!
Forum rules
By using the forum you agree to the following rules.
StarNord
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: SelfProclaimed LvL99 Suggester
SFD Account: StarNord
SFD Alias: Sunny Citizen
Started SFD: A lil' Before Pre-Alpha 1.6.0

How Do You Switch Your Server To Client-Side

Post by StarNord » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:48 pm

The title says it all, how do you get rid of input lag, I've seen a player do and explain it, sadly, I didn't ask how he did it, so here I am how do I switch my server to client-side (aka disable input lag since it's obnoxious)
0 x
Go On, Click Away. Signatures Are For Fools Who Haven't Said Enough! -Karl Marx if he had an internet connection

Splinter
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Grenade chef
Started SFD: 1.1.6
Post by Splinter » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:31 pm

Depends on the server you're playing in. By default, servers make you have server-side movement if your ping is above 120, so that you don't teleport around in other people's screens. You can disable this in your own server by going into C:\Users\[user name]\Documents\Superfighters Deluxe and manually changing an option in the "config.ini" file. Edit this using the notepad:

HOST_GAME_FORCED_SERVER_MOVEMENT_CHECK=1

Set the first option to 0 instead of 1 if you want players to always have client side movement in your server.

Edit: if you don't want to have input lag, try not to play in servers where your ping is above 120. Or ask the host to do what I explained above and restart the game and his server.
6 x
Hold your breath.

Artifex
Fighter
Fighter
Title: i kick ass and chew gum daily
Started SFD: year before old forums closed
Post by Artifex » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:57 pm

So if i join a server where my ping is above 120 and the host has client-side enabled, will i have input lag and teleport around the map?
0 x
Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn.

KliPeH
Title: [happy moth noises]
SFD Account: KliPeH
Started SFD: Pre-Alpha 1.4.2

Post by KliPeH » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:02 am

Artifex wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:57 pm
So if i join a server where my ping is above 120 and the host has client-side enabled, will i have input lag and teleport around the map?
I'm assuming your inputs won't be as delayed as they would have otherwise been using the server-side option, but they will instead be ignored by the game occasionally (this gets worse the worse your ping is). Objects, items and players won't react as you'd expect them to - items will be more difficult to approach and pick up, you'll be set on fire but won't be able to react in time to blow it out, your fighter will become unresponsive in melee combat, kneel/move cooldowns will generally feel like they last longer and other various annoying changes in gameplay that will make you suffer. Players will probably teleport on your screen, and you will teleport around on the other player's screens.

With that said, I was told by my players they'd prefer to play this way than have the server-side option be toggled on when I host, and I never experienced server-side myself (I'm not a fan of playing on other servers), so make of this what you will. The thing about playing with high ping on a client-side server is that the game becomes inconsistent - sometimes the item will be picked up and sometimes not, sometimes you'll block the punch and sometimes you won't, sometimes the fire will be put out and sometimes it won't etc. It's all about the server's predictive capabilities, what it "thinks" you'll do next, which obviously doesn't always correlate with what you're actually doing. This results in you having to press keys multiple times to make sure the game "gets" what you're trying to do - mash the pickup key to grab the weapon, mash the block key then rapidly mash the attack key at various frequencies to maybe execute the combo you want, roll multiple times in a row to make sure the fire is properly extinguished.

The server-side option is supposed to remedy this by making the delay larger but gameplay more consistent so you can get "used to it", I don't know whether it actually manages to accomplish this or not.
1 x

Artifex
Fighter
Fighter
Title: i kick ass and chew gum daily
Started SFD: year before old forums closed
Post by Artifex » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:45 am

Thanks for the quick response and detailed answer.
0 x
Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn.