Dear forum users! In compliance with the new European GDPR regulations, we'd just like to inform you that if you have an account, your email address is stored in our database. We do not share your information with third parties, and your email address and password are encrypted for security reasons.

New to the forum? Say hello in this topic! Also make sure to read the rules.

User @mentions are now a thing!

Here you can talk about other things not related to Superfighters Deluxe or other games by MythoLogic Interactive.
Forum rules
By using the forum you agree to the following rules.
KliPeH
Title: [happy moth noises]
SFD Account: KliPeH
Started SFD: Pre-Alpha 1.4.2

User @mentions are now a thing!

Post by KliPeH » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:50 pm

We're very happy to announce that as of today mentions are an official part of our forum!

A mention is a call-out of sorts that allows you to ping forum members without having to quote them and without them needing to post in a thread on their own in order to receive a notification. Mentions can be used for many reasons, whether it's to poke fun at other members, to ask for their input on a certain subject, or to give them credit for work they did. All that's required of you to do is to type an 'at' symbol (@) into the textbox, write the first few letters of the user's nickname and then choose it from the list in the drop-down window.

Submitting a post that contains mentions will notify all the members included in it. The notification looks like this:
► Show Spoiler
Now instead of simply writing "KliPeH", a mention of me would look like this: @KliPeH

Important Note #1: In order for a mention to properly notify a user, it needs to be in the original version of the post. Posting a reply and then adding the mention as an edit will not make the post notify the person you just added.

Important Note #2: The mention is automatically bolded and colored in red, but regular formatting can still apply to it and overwrite it. Format tags (italic, underline, size tags, highlight tags etc.) cannot be written inside mention tags - those mentions will not work and will not actually notify anyone. Make sure your format tags wrap the mention tags, not the other way around. Here's an example:

Working mention:

Code: Select all

[i] [u] [mention] KliPeH [/mention] [/u] [/i]
Broken mention:

Code: Select all

[mention] [i] [u] KliPeH [/u] [/i] [/mention]
Color-code tags unfortunately won't be able to overwrite the default red coloring of the mention but other tags will. Here are a few examples of working mentions formatted in different manners:
► Show Spoiler
Here are some exemplary uses of the system:
Have you heard the new SFD soundtrack? It was made by @Splinter.
I hear the final version will contain many more custom-made tracks but I've yet to hear any. How's that coming along, by the way?
@TheOriginalCj and I are looking to play SFD with other people on the weekends but nobody's joining our server. More info down below.
The solution @Gurt offered hasn't worked for me and I have been unable to play the game ever since I created the thread.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!
P.S. Huge thanks to @JakSparro98 who helped me figure out how to fix XYZ.
id say the only person moderating the forum worse than @KliPeH is @Lunatic
There's still some tinkering to do with the system, such as checking whether we can make color tags overwrite the default red color of the mention or whether we can make it automatically link users' profiles upon mentioning them, but seeing as this extension doesn't have any control panel settings it's not likely we'll progress much in that regard.

This is the extension we're using.
If you have any experience with it, any ideas on how to use it better or suggestions about upgrading it please let us know!

Cheers~
11 x

kazy
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Brawler
SFD Account: kazy
SFD Alias: kazy
Started SFD: December 2012

Post by kazy » Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:00 pm

Now we just need an @everyone lmao
1 x
Gurt wrote:I think I have always seen someone comment about how bad each and every update is. :D