Dear forum users! In compliance with the new European GDPR regulations, we'd just like to inform you that if you have an account, your email address is stored in our database. We do not share your information with third parties, and your email address and password are encrypted for security reasons.

New to the forum? Say hello in this topic! Also make sure to read the rules.

How to tell if an Object is a background object ?

Give us your input on how we may improve the ScriptAPI in the game in future versions.
Forum rules
By using the forum you agree to the following rules.
nerdist
Fighter
Fighter

How to tell if an Object is a background object ?

Post by nerdist » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:03 pm

I am working on a script and I really need a fast way to tell if an object can collide with other object.
this method Game.GetObjectsByArea() returns all kinds of unnecessary tiles even far-background object.

I could make a string list of all the 809 Bg Tiles and 101 FarBG tiles but it's gonna take a lot of time..

hint : It is possible to get the name of IObject as a string . If it is a Background object it will begin with the prefix "Bg" , such as :"BgLamp00A" . Getting the initials of a string might be the key to the problem.

big thanks in advance !
0 x

gwendalaze
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Jarate Yellow Belt
Started SFD: PreAlpha 1.1.4

Post by gwendalaze » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:16 am

area triggers don't detect background and far background tiles
that may help you
0 x
- Gwendalaze, failing at being fun, just like this signature

Motto73
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Lazy ass
SFD Account: Motto73
Started SFD: Multiplayer Test Demo

Post by Motto73 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:22 am

nerdist wrote:I am working on a script and I really need a fast way to tell if an object can collide with other object.
this method Game.GetObjectsByArea() returns all kinds of unnecessary tiles even far-background object.

I could make a string list of all the 809 Bg Tiles and 101 FarBG tiles but it's gonna take a lot of time..

hint : It is possible to get the name of IObject as a string . If it is a Background object it will begin with the prefix "Bg" , such as :"BgLamp00A" . Getting the initials of a string might be the key to the problem.

big thanks in advance !
As Gwen says, the area triggers are ok, but I think that they dont recognize static tiles. You could maybe use something like this:

Code: Select all

Area SomeArea=new Area(0,0,0,0);
		public void Check(TriggerArgs args){
			IObject[] objs = Game.GetObjectsByArea (SomeArea);
			List <IObject> TheObjects = new List<IObject> ();
			foreach(IObject obj in objs)
				if (!obj.Name.StartsWith ("Bg") && !obj.Name.StartsWith ("FarBg"))
					TheObjects.Add (obj);
				//Do something with the tiles
				TheObjects.Clear();
		}
I'm sure that you understand how this works, and that it is not very efficient. But works ok. ;)
1 x

nerdist
Fighter
Fighter

Post by nerdist » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:42 pm

Thanks man ! I really needed this :)
0 x

Gurt
Lead Programmer
Lead Programmer
Title: Lead programmer
Started SFD: Made it!

Post by Gurt » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:05 pm

For info:
"How to tell if an Object is a background object ?" We lack that feature in the ScriptAPI today. Meta data like this will most likely be available in later versions of the game.
You probably want something like obj.Name.ToUpper().StartsWith ("BG" / "FARBG") or similar today.
2 x
Gurt