Dear forum users! In compliance with the new European GDPR regulations, we'd just like to inform you that if you have an account, your email address is stored in our database. We do not share your information with third parties, and your email address and password are encrypted for security reasons.

New to the forum? Say hello in this topic! Also make sure to read the rules.

Status Update 2019-07-06

Status updates from MythoLogic Interactive about the game progress.
Forum rules
By using the forum you agree to the following rules.
Post Reply
User avatar
Gurt
Lead Programmer
Lead Programmer
Posts: 1682
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:22 pm
Title: Lead programmer
Started SFD: Made it!
Location: Sweden
Gender:
Age: 29

Status Update 2019-07-06

Post by Gurt » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:41 pm

The Steam sale is ongoing and SFD is 60% off right now for a few more days.

While that is going on we're getting closer to the next big update. We hope it will be ready sometime in August. We will probably release a public preview branch a few days before we release it to the public giving those curious about the update a chance to preview and test it before the public gets it - in case we have missed something.

We're also noticing a rumour that claims we are about to abandon the game. That's not true. It wouldn't make sense for us to build a game over 6+ years just to abandon it less than a year after release. We will continue to release smaller updates and bug fixes now and then but we have no more big updates planned. Here's the original topic with our reply https://www.mythologicinteractiveforums ... f=8&t=3733 :
Hjarpe wrote: It's true that we haven't made enough money to quit our dayjobs yet. Lack of time has always been the main problem facing the game. We obviously don't have the sort of momentum and energy we would have if we could work on it full-time.

It's also true we aren't as hands-on with our community as some other devs are, mainly due to said lack of time and partly due to my introverted (Swedish) personality. We're more comfortable focusing our attention on the game itself and using the forum to respond to your questions and broadcast information. Juggling other platforms like Discord I feel would add stress to our lives.

As for the player count, we're not ignoring the problem. We obviously won't let the game die. But we're not interested in doing microtransactions, so free-to-play is our very last resort. We have other cards to play before it comes to that. Our priority after the next update is expanding to as many other PC platforms as possible besides Steam. This will increase our exposure and hopefully inject some fresh blood into the playerbase.

The current situation for me personally is that working on the next campaign is swallowing pretty much all my time and mental energy. It's almost done, and it's gonna be great (I think!) but it's becoming clear that the "investment return" on campaigns isn't great. Instead of spending months on something most players will experience only once or twice, the same amount of time could have been spent on smaller pieces of content with more value to players.

With this in mind, it looks as though this next update will be the last big update we release for SFD. Partly because 7+ years working on anything seems long enough, and 3 campaigns seems like a respectable number. In short, we want to move on and focus our attention on our next game pretty soon. BUT...

Even though SFD won't be our main project, we'll try to inject life into it with small updates now and then. As we get a bit of distance from it, we may be able to see more clearly what needs to be tweaked for balance and what small things can be added that will have the biggest effect on the game. Quality over quantity, in other words. And if we get the funding we need to work full-time, we'll be able to do a lot more in this regard - new maps, challenges, weapons, customization items, etc. We'll see!

Sorry if this was a rather rambly response. There are a lot of factors to this, and we're still very much in the thick of it. We'll know more after we release the next update and have a nice, much-needed vacation.
12 x
Gurt

User avatar
Rick Sanchez
Superfighter
Superfighter
Posts: 237
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:15 pm
Title: Alcoholic
SFD Account: Rick Sanchez
SFD Alias: Rick Sanchez
Started SFD: 1.5.0b
Location: Finland
Gender:
Age: 20

Post by Rick Sanchez » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:37 pm

Gurt wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:41 pm
The Steam sale is ongoing and SFD is 60% off right now for a few more days.

While that is going on we're getting closer to the next big update. We hope it will be ready sometime in August. We will probably release a public preview branch a few days before we release it to the public giving those curious about the update a chance to preview and test it before the public gets it - in case we have missed something.

We're also noticing a rumour that claims we are about to abandon the game. That's not true. It wouldn't make sense for us to build a game over 6+ years just to abandon it less than a year after release. We will continue to release smaller updates and bug fixes now and then but we have no more big updates planned. Here's the original topic with our reply https://www.mythologicinteractiveforums ... f=8&t=3733 :
Hjarpe wrote: It's true that we haven't made enough money to quit our dayjobs yet. Lack of time has always been the main problem facing the game. We obviously don't have the sort of momentum and energy we would have if we could work on it full-time.

It's also true we aren't as hands-on with our community as some other devs are, mainly due to said lack of time and partly due to my introverted (Swedish) personality. We're more comfortable focusing our attention on the game itself and using the forum to respond to your questions and broadcast information. Juggling other platforms like Discord I feel would add stress to our lives.

As for the player count, we're not ignoring the problem. We obviously won't let the game die. But we're not interested in doing microtransactions, so free-to-play is our very last resort. We have other cards to play before it comes to that. Our priority after the next update is expanding to as many other PC platforms as possible besides Steam. This will increase our exposure and hopefully inject some fresh blood into the playerbase.

The current situation for me personally is that working on the next campaign is swallowing pretty much all my time and mental energy. It's almost done, and it's gonna be great (I think!) but it's becoming clear that the "investment return" on campaigns isn't great. Instead of spending months on something most players will experience only once or twice, the same amount of time could have been spent on smaller pieces of content with more value to players.

With this in mind, it looks as though this next update will be the last big update we release for SFD. Partly because 7+ years working on anything seems long enough, and 3 campaigns seems like a respectable number. In short, we want to move on and focus our attention on our next game pretty soon. BUT...

Even though SFD won't be our main project, we'll try to inject life into it with small updates now and then. As we get a bit of distance from it, we may be able to see more clearly what needs to be tweaked for balance and what small things can be added that will have the biggest effect on the game. Quality over quantity, in other words. And if we get the funding we need to work full-time, we'll be able to do a lot more in this regard - new maps, challenges, weapons, customization items, etc. We'll see!

Sorry if this was a rather rambly response. There are a lot of factors to this, and we're still very much in the thick of it. We'll know more after we release the next update and have a nice, much-needed vacation.
So is this like the ACTUAl final version of the game or just a big patch
?
1 x
Image

User avatar
Noble
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 460
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:46 pm
Title: Modest guy
SFD Alias: Best player
Location: Brazil
Gender:

Post by Noble » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:59 pm

^I suppose it means big content updates - like campaigns with new weapons and maps (in the sense of working weeks or months on it) - are not coming. I don't think this means new features won't be ever coming anymore, it possibly means new updates after a smaller amount of time and work (like mostly rebalances, tweaks and all).
1 x
When I was 22 I read this book
And I swore
"I'll stay my way, I'll stay my way"

User avatar
Danger Ross
Superfighter
Superfighter
Posts: 126
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:56 am
Title: Competition
SFD Alias: Danger Ross
Started SFD: 14 june 2012 (launch day)
Location: California
Gender:
Age: 19

Post by Danger Ross » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:42 am

Because big updates aren't planned but aren't out of the question... Does that mean you would consider releasing something substantially large if there's a good reason to?
0 x
sorry bucko, you can't punch with swords 8-)

Tio Aracnido
Meatbag
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:00 pm
SFD Account: juliocasas

Post by Tio Aracnido » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:43 am

you guys should "hire" some veteran players to help making the game
excuse the bad english
0 x

User avatar
JakSparro98
Superfighter
Superfighter
Posts: 496
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:56 pm
Started SFD: PreAlpha 1.0.5
Location: Rome, Italy
Gender:
Age: 21

Post by JakSparro98 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:56 am

Danger Ross wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:42 am
Because big updates aren't planned but aren't out of the question... Does that mean you would consider releasing something substantially large if there's a good reason to?
Ideally there should be one major update per year, like Terraria devs do.
In the meantime nothing excludes they will still collect suggestions.
0 x

User avatar
Hjarpe
Lead Designer
Lead Designer
Posts: 434
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:02 pm
Started SFD: The grey dawn of time
Gender:
Age: 29
Contact:

Post by Hjarpe » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:34 pm

Noble wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:59 pm
^I suppose it means big content updates - like campaigns with new weapons and maps (in the sense of working weeks or months on it) - are not coming. I don't think this means new features won't be ever coming anymore, it possibly means new updates after a smaller amount of time and work (like mostly rebalances, tweaks and all).
Pretty much this. New levels, challenges, customization items and even weapons aren't out of the question either - but we aren't promising anything. It really depends on how much time and energy we have to go back and work on SFD. Most of our attention will be on the next game, but we'll also be thinking about what we can do to for SFD and its players - especially since we are SFD players ourselves! When we're less stressed out by the whole thing, we'll probably go back to playing it for fun again, and then we may be better able to see what things would be cool to add.
5 x
Quinterball: Vigorously shaking a tile while rapidly tapping CTRL causes the selected tile to randomly flash red.
MythoLogic Interactive: By design.

User avatar
Del Poncho
Superfighter
Superfighter
Posts: 254
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:57 pm
Started SFD: July 2012 (1.0.5)
Location: Poncholand
Gender:
Age: 23

Post by Del Poncho » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:20 pm

Hjarpe wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:34 pm
Most of our attention will be on the next game
Any spoiler on what the next game might be?
0 x
The risk I took was caluclated, but man.....am I bad at math.

User avatar
Lunatic
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 664
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:03 pm
Title: I hope Klipeh bans himself
SFD Alias: (LM) Lunatic
Started SFD: 1.0.5 Pre-Alpha
Gender:
Age: 23

Post by Lunatic » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:43 am

We all know the next game is Barbarian Onslaught: Odyssey. Cmon, Poncho.
2 x
Originally posted by Glurp
SFD BADASS! 8-)

User avatar
Del Poncho
Superfighter
Superfighter
Posts: 254
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:57 pm
Started SFD: July 2012 (1.0.5)
Location: Poncholand
Gender:
Age: 23

Post by Del Poncho » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:01 pm

Lunatic wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:43 am
We all know the next game is Barbarian Onslaught: Odyssey. Cmon, Poncho.
Mythologic Pong 2: The Reckoning. Duh.
2 x
The risk I took was caluclated, but man.....am I bad at math.

Post Reply