Dear forum users! In compliance with the new European GDPR regulations, we'd just like to inform you that if you have an account, your email address is stored in our database. We do not share your information with third parties, and your email address and password are encrypted for security reasons.

New to the forum? Say hello in this topic! Also make sure to read the rules.

Status update 2018-02-03

Status updates from MythoLogic Interactive about the game progress.
Forum rules
By using the forum you agree to the following rules.
Post Reply
User avatar
Gurt
Lead Programmer
Lead Programmer
Posts: 1065
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:22 pm
Title: Lead programmer
Started SFD: Made it!
Location: Sweden
Gender:
Age: 28

Status update 2018-02-03

Post by Gurt » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:47 pm

The gamepad support for SFD is pretty much a finished feature!
Hjarpe and I have played around with different keybindings separately and pretty much came up with the same schematic with a few subtle differences. We will see what the final default gamepad bindings will be but that's a topic for another time. You can always re-bind the keys as you like.

The past week we have been tinkered with a lot of smaller stuff and fixing a few bugs. I have also been experimenting to create larger maps (campaigns) and how to spawn in objects and despawn objects to prevent too many tiles and objects loaded in the same time. In theory we should be able to create pretty large campaign maps but there's always a practical limitation. Creating a campaign map will be a bit of a puzzle to get a design that works well with spawning and despawning areas as you move forward to create the illusion of a bid map. Any area you can't backtrack to can safely be despawned and should be blocked off. No idea to keep stuff you can't see in memory and simulation.
We're still experimenting with the techniques and creating triggers as we need them. We've also tweaking the dynamic camera to work better with how we intend it to be used in campaigns and how we intend it to follow moving dynamic camera areas.

Today I threw in a bonus feature were you can set preferred monitor via the config.ini file. "MONITOR=1" for example to start SFD in your second monitor. This can help if you want to run SFD in another monitor but you can't drag SFD between monitors without it crashing (happens for some users). I just so happened to find an article online that helped me with this bit ;)

Next up will be crude shooting AI for the campaigns so we can prototype campaign maps with enemies in them and perhaps some basic patrol patters or something.
14 x
Gurt

User avatar
Del Poncho
Superfighter
Superfighter
Posts: 136
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:57 pm
Started SFD: July 2012 (1.0.5)
Location: Poncholand
Gender:
Age: 22

Post by Del Poncho » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:12 pm

Gurt wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:47 pm
Creating a campaign map will be a bit of a puzzle to get a design that works well with spawning and despawning areas as you move forward to create the illusion of a bid map.
What about creating some sort of "level" design,meaning that once you activate a trigger,the next level (wich is another map) gets loaded?
3 x
The risk I took was caluclated, but man.....am I bad at math.

User avatar
Gurt
Lead Programmer
Lead Programmer
Posts: 1065
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:22 pm
Title: Lead programmer
Started SFD: Made it!
Location: Sweden
Gender:
Age: 28

Post by Gurt » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:07 pm

Del Poncho wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:12 pm
Gurt wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:47 pm
Creating a campaign map will be a bit of a puzzle to get a design that works well with spawning and despawning areas as you move forward to create the illusion of a bid map.
What about creating some sort of "level" design,meaning that once you activate a trigger,the next level (wich is another map) gets loaded?
A campaign in SFD can consist of several individual maps chained together if you want - something we will use in our campaigns. Kinda like how L4D campaigns consist of several individual parts. To create larger areas for individual maps we need to despawn and spawn in objects as the players move through the map.
2 x
Gurt

User avatar
Venom
Superfighter
Superfighter
Posts: 68
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:49 pm
Title: Ichor Seeker
SFD Alias: (Mask)Venom
Started SFD: PreAlpha 1.5 or something
Location: Hell
Gender:

Post by Venom » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:33 pm

What about the local multiplayer and bots? Keyboard bindings for 2 players on the same keyboard are possible?
2 x
doog eht rof sevil live live eht rof evil t'nac doog tub

User avatar
Volk
Fighter
Fighter
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:57 pm
SFD Account: Volk

Post by Volk » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:09 pm

Venom wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:33 pm
What about the local multiplayer and bots? Keyboard bindings for 2 players on the same keyboard are possible?
i agree with you maybe it is possible also for 3 Players ... :|
0 x
The Guy u Can Trust

User avatar
Noble
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 376
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:46 pm
SFD Alias: |LPH| Nobel
Started SFD: I'm a newbie, teach me well ;3
Location: Rio de Janeiro

Post by Noble » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:11 pm

So, I'm concerned about the local multiplayer and wonder what changes were made to fit 2 players on the same keyboard, what led me to have some questions and ideas. I read in the last status update that commands were simplified. Will there be like, an option to choose between a "Simple", basic and easy keybind config, and an "Advanced" complex one?

Will the screen be divided when a two player mode or something like that is activated? Or will it be available to activate when you are already in a server? I can just see this as weird as one may be missing a spot in a server and that's a frequent occasion. Will the screen always try to fit both players?

By the way I have a friend that would always play SFD with a PS controller and he seems to like it, so I don't know what is this gamepad support based.
0 x
♫ I won't walk into the gates of hell just yet
Though it's where I belong ♪

User avatar
Gurt
Lead Programmer
Lead Programmer
Posts: 1065
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:22 pm
Title: Lead programmer
Started SFD: Made it!
Location: Sweden
Gender:
Age: 28

Post by Gurt » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:02 pm

We have not made any changes to the control scheme when it comes to 2 players. We do not recommend 2 players sharing the same keyboard as you most likely will run into keyboard ghosting and SFD uses a bunch of keys. The second player should use a gamepad of some kind. If you have a keyboard with individual switches for each key and a numpad you could use 2 players sharing the same keyboard.
The screen will try to cover both players.
The gamepad input is based on the Nuclex.Input library which has "Support for standard PC game controllers" "Works with any DirectInput-compatible controller" according to the documentation. Of course we haven't tried every gamepad that claims to be a standard PC game controller that's DirectInput compatible. I don't know which category the PS controller falls into.
0 x
Gurt

User avatar
Volk
Fighter
Fighter
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:57 pm
SFD Account: Volk

Post by Volk » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:29 pm

Gurt wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:02 pm
We have not made any changes to the control scheme when it comes to 2 players. We do not recommend 2 players sharing the same keyboard as you most likely will run into keyboard ghosting and SFD uses a bunch of keys. The second player should use a gamepad of some kind. If you have a keyboard with individual switches for each key and a numpad you could use 2 players sharing the same keyboard.
The screen will try to cover both players.
The gamepad input is based on the Nuclex.Input library which has "Support for standard PC game controllers" "Works with any DirectInput-compatible controller" according to the documentation. Of course we haven't tried every gamepad that claims to be a standard PC game controller that's DirectInput compatible. I don't know which category the PS controller falls into.
Last edited by Volk on Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
The Guy u Can Trust

User avatar
ill
Fighter
Fighter
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:42 pm
Title: Bannaned
SFD Account: ill
SFD Alias: Spider
Started SFD: When Sector 8 was official
Location: hole
Gender:

Post by ill » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:49 pm

Volk wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:29 pm
Gurt wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:02 pm
We have not made any changes to the control scheme when it comes to 2 players. We do not recommend 2 players sharing the same keyboard as you most likely will run into keyboard ghosting and SFD uses a bunch of keys. The second player should use a gamepad of some kind. If you have a keyboard with individual switches for each key and a numpad you could use 2 players sharing the same keyboard.
The screen will try to cover both players.
The gamepad input is based on the Nuclex.Input library which has "Support for standard PC game controllers" "Works with any DirectInput-compatible controller" according to the documentation. Of course we haven't tried every gamepad that claims to be a standard PC game controller that's DirectInput compatible. I don't know which category the PS controller falls into.
what about Xbox ...
b-but what about Wii ...
3 x
Hjarpe wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:29 am
Gurt says he hates me
Gurt wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:46 pm
It happens
Lunatic wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:45 pm
haha yeah

User avatar
ill
Fighter
Fighter
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:42 pm
Title: Bannaned
SFD Account: ill
SFD Alias: Spider
Started SFD: When Sector 8 was official
Location: hole
Gender:

Post by ill » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:07 pm

Image
[gif made by Zere]
3 x
Hjarpe wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:29 am
Gurt says he hates me
Gurt wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:46 pm
It happens
Lunatic wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:45 pm
haha yeah

User avatar
ImThatKid
Fighter
Fighter
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:30 pm
Title: IMTHATKID
SFD Account: ImThatKid_27
SFD Alias: |TS1|ImThatKid
Started SFD: November 2015
Gender:
Age: 18
Contact:

Post by ImThatKid » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:40 am

i love to hear this i used a third party tool to play with my controller but now i can finally get right with it :lol:
0 x

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests