Dear forum users! In compliance with the new European GDPR regulations, we'd just like to inform you that if you have an account, your email address is stored in our database. We do not share your information with third parties, and your email address and password are encrypted for security reasons.

New to the forum? Say hello in this topic! Also make sure to read the rules.

Audio output (music/sound) bug

All reported bugs that's actually by design.
Forum rules
By using the forum you agree to the following rules. For this forum you also need to follow these additional rules.
Splinter
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Grenade chef
Started SFD: 1.1.6
Audio output (music/sound) bug

Post by Splinter » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:01 pm

I just found this crazy bug that makes the game audio go through separate outputs. Here's a detailed explanation:

I have my CPU connected to a TV via HDMI cable. The sound comes from the TV, but when I connect earphones/headphones on the CPU, the TV stops reproducing sound, and the audio goes to my headphones. Everything fine here.
So, this is what happened: I had my earphones unplugged, then I started SFD. Menu music started playing on TV. I plugged my earphones, then menu music started playing only on earphones. However, the game sound continued playing on the TV.

I tried the inverse: If I open up the game with my earphones plugged, the game will think that the game audio (except the music) should always go out from the earphone channel, even if it's disconnected.

In summary: plug and unplug earphones as many times as you want, the music will always come out from the current audio output. The game audio though (sound effects and everything else) will always try to go to the audio output that you started the game with.
1 x
Hold your breath.

Gurt
Lead Programmer
Lead Programmer
Title: Lead programmer
Started SFD: Made it!

Post by Gurt » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:07 pm

The music and the sound effects utilize different outputs. The sound effects uses the default DirectSound output device (I think) while the music uses Windows Media Player features (and those are all weird - maybe they can swap output real-time). I have no idea what's going on under the hood and we have little to no control over this.
We will soon discard the Windows Media Player and go over to NAudio for music playback (effects will stay the same).
While this is a bug we will not fix it - sorry.
0 x
Gurt

Splinter
Superfighter
Superfighter
Post by Splinter » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:34 pm

Gurt wrote:The music and the sound effects utilize different outputs. The sound effects uses the default DirectSound output device (I think) while the music uses Windows Media Player features (and those are all weird - maybe they can swap output real-time). I have no idea what's going on under the hood and we have little to no control over this.
We will soon discard the Windows Media Player and go over to NAudio for music playback (effects will stay the same).
While this is a bug we will not fix it - sorry.
Yes, I think Windows Media Player uses the MME/DirectX audio driver, which automatically swaps the output device. At least you're going to discard the DirectX driver (not a very good driver anyway, I think), maybe with NAudio music and effects will share the same output.
0 x
Hold your breath.

Splinter
Superfighter
Superfighter
Post by Splinter » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:25 pm

*Bump*
I think this has been fixed now, just so you know. I change from headphones to monitors and the sound and music swaps output real-time.
0 x
Hold your breath.