Dear forum users! In compliance with the new European GDPR regulations, we'd just like to inform you that if you have an account, your email address is stored in our database. We do not share your information with third parties, and your email address and password are encrypted for security reasons.

New to the forum? Say hello in this topic! Also make sure to read the rules.

Muzzle flash detaching from the gun after state change

All reported bugs that's actually by design.
Forum rules
By using the forum you agree to the following rules. For this forum you also need to follow these additional rules.
JakSparro98
Superfighter
Superfighter
Started SFD: PreAlpha 1.0.5

Muzzle flash detaching from the gun after state change

Post by JakSparro98 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:30 pm

I'm pretty sure that some versions ago, the muzzle was glued together with the gun, no matter what state or position it was, now it seems that when the gun changes its state (the player is kneeling, ledge grabbing, the gun is dropped, etc...) the muzzle flash loses his owner and starts to track the player entity.
0 x

KliPeH
Title: [happy moth noises]
SFD Account: KliPeH
Started SFD: Pre-Alpha 1.4.2

Post by KliPeH » Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:28 pm

I don't think the muzzle flash was ever attached to the weapon model. You could always move the gun up or down, or left and right as a sprite, and the muzzle flash would still stay in the very same position - in front of the fighter - regardless of what's done to the model. This may be unrelated to what you're saying but I thought I'd point this out.

I understand what you're saying here but I don't think there's anything wrong with what you're showcasing per se. The shotgun gif looks a little weird but I can't think of any situation where you would be shooting, dropping your weapon and also changing your position simultaneously, or quickly enough for this to be an issue.

The rest of the gifs look fine to me, the pistol one in particular; the muzzle flash is a flash, it's happening so fast it should be looking stationary (in front of the fighter is the most logical place, since they don't change their position as drastically), instead of following the fighter's gun that will now be pointing towards the sky. Had it been changed the way you suggest it would look unnatural as the muzzle flash would suddenly shift vertically in a new upward position.

The bazooka backblast that is attached to the fighter's back is a short animation too and should be happening very fast as well, and had the game not been slowed down to this extent it would probably not be as noticeable. I certainly would have not noticed this in a regular game had you not pointed it out.
0 x

JakSparro98
Superfighter
Superfighter
Started SFD: PreAlpha 1.0.5

Post by JakSparro98 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:04 pm

KliPeH wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:28 pm
[..]
the pistol one in particular; the muzzle flash is a flash, it's happening so fast it should be looking stationary (in front of the fighter is the most logical place, since they don't change their position as drastically), instead of following the fighter's gun that will now be pointing towards the sky. [..]
That is basically what I experienced in previous times, I'm almost certainly sure that was like that, the muzzle was pointing up, and it's a bit weird, I have to say, but is the only way I can think for solving situations like when a player is being disarmed and shooting a bullet in the same precise moment. I've the suspect this behavior changed when the muzzle has been necessary as standalone effect (I assume it was previously hardcoded to follow the player gun every time), like we see in the second campaign.
0 x

Gurt
Lead Programmer
Lead Programmer
Title: Lead programmer
Started SFD: Made it!

Post by Gurt » Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:35 pm

Hjarpe has been tweaking these sort of effects over the course of many updates and years. It's by design.
0 x
Gurt