Dear forum users! In compliance with the new European GDPR regulations, we'd just like to inform you that if you have an account, your email address is stored in our database. We do not share your information with third parties, and your email address and password are encrypted for security reasons.

New to the forum? Say hello in this topic! Also make sure to read the rules.

Knockdowns without critical hits

All reported bugs that's actually by design.
Forum rules
By using the forum you agree to the following rules. For this forum you also need to follow these additional rules.
Splinter
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Grenade chef
Started SFD: 1.1.6
Knockdowns without critical hits

Post by Splinter » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:30 pm

As far as I know, the sniper has 75% chance of critical hit, and the critical hit does 45 damage, while a non-critical deals 30 damage. But sometimes, you hit a critical (the enemy gets knocked down) but he only takes 30 damage. I just tested it in a damage testing map I made.

PS: sometimes the magnum seems to deal more damage than usual, but maybe this is just my imagination... that gun is powerful.
Last edited by Gurt on Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Updated title to reflect what's going on
2 x
Hold your breath.

Gurt
Lead Programmer
Lead Programmer
Title: Lead programmer
Started SFD: Made it!

Post by Gurt » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:22 pm

By design. All projectiles have something we internally call a force. When enough force is applied to a player they will get knocked down WITHOUT taking critical damage. A critical hit will ALWAYS knock down a player. Being knocked down does not equal being critical hit.

2 sniper rounds at the same time will knock you down even if they don't crit. A few m60 bullets will also knock you down even if they don't crit.
1 x
Gurt

Splinter
Superfighter
Superfighter
Post by Splinter » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:48 pm

Oh, I know that sometimes you get knocked down for taking many bullets, as happens with automatics often, but maybe I explained it wrong.

I meant to say that sometimes the non-critical hit knocks down players (even if he didn't take too many shots in a row), and sometimes it doesn't.
I shot a CPU several times with a sniper, and when the damage meter said "30" in my script, sometimes he was knocked down, and sometimes not. Is it random? Or maybe I was shooting too fast with the sniper?

I noticed this a few days ago while playing with some friends. A guy was walking around, not taking any bullets at all (at least for the past one second or two), then I shot him with a sniper and he got knocked down, but taking 30 damage.
1 x
Hold your breath.

Gurt
Lead Programmer
Lead Programmer
Title: Lead programmer
Started SFD: Made it!

Post by Gurt » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:01 pm

You can get knocked down from multiple projectiles without it being a critical hit. This is by design.

It's the same mechanic we have in place that knocks you down from shotguns and many bullets in a fairly short succession (like from rifles and M60) - this effect can last several seconds.
0 x
Gurt

Splinter
Superfighter
Superfighter
Post by Splinter » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:30 pm

It didn't seem like "multiple projectiles" in the second case I described. But if the effect/mechanic can last a few seconds, then the guy was probably being shot a few seconds earlier (maybe 2 seconds) which explains the knockdown.
0 x
Hold your breath.