Dear forum users! In compliance with the new European GDPR regulations, we'd just like to inform you that if you have an account, your email address is stored in our database. We do not share your information with third parties, and your email address and password are encrypted for security reasons.

New to the forum? Say hello in this topic! Also make sure to read the rules.

[MAP DESIGN] Jumping a 2-tiles-sized window is difficult

All reported bugs that's actually by design.
Forum rules
By using the forum you agree to the following rules. For this forum you also need to follow these additional rules.
Noble
Title: Modest guy
SFD Alias: Best player
[MAP DESIGN] Jumping a 2-tiles-sized window is difficult

Post by Noble » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:27 am

Apparently, you won't be able to jump a window of that size (I think it's 2 tiles) most of the times.
Sometimes you keep jumping and trying to jump through it and you simply don't pass.
Notice that I'm pressing right and it still doesn't work, and I kept only pressing the same keys, nothing different. if you're able to do this you should be able to do this all the times, I don't know why that happens.
0 x
When I was 22 I read this book
And I swore
"I'll stay my way, I'll stay my way"

JakSparro98
Superfighter
Superfighter
Started SFD: PreAlpha 1.0.5

Post by JakSparro98 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:26 am

By design, now the explanation...

Here the collision resolution is involved, every time you jump the collision system will "resolve" the player collision by push him enough to make him not to collide anymore.
Now, you're doing the same jump every time, but the position of the player's collision box changes a little bit every time too, but enough to even change the collision resolution result.

I want to make a little example, let's say we want to resolve a collision between two object by checking their collided pixels.
Here we have that the two object have collided 4 pixels vertically and 1 pixel horizzontally, it's more convenient for the collision system to push the player out by only 1 pixel horizzontally instead of 4 vertically.

I don't think the SFD engine uses pixel perfect collision checking but this example helps you understand that for the engine if I collide at 0.74267 in a direction and 0.74865 in another this will have a specific result even if you cannot notice the difference; can you imagine this applied even with linear velocity parameters in the collision resolution? And since SuperFighters Deluxe isn't deterministic, the same action (the same jump) would correspond to two slightly different results.
Off Topic
The window is about 21 pixels (2.5 tiles in height)
Last edited by JakSparro98 on Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4 x

Gurt
Lead Programmer
Lead Programmer
Title: Lead programmer
Started SFD: Made it!

Post by Gurt » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:10 pm

By design. The underlaying box2D engine we use is not deterministic so one result may vary from another.

Elements in SFD isn't designed to work in every specific conceivable scenario that a map author can imagine.

Just because you can design something doesn't mean you should :). We try to keep our windows in our official maps at least 24 units high (or 6 4x4 glass-sheet tiles high) and stretch them down to the floor. This makes it easy to dive out from a window and easy to jump in.
0 x
Gurt