Dear forum users! In compliance with the new European GDPR regulations, we'd just like to inform you that if you have an account, your email address is stored in our database. We do not share your information with third parties, and your email address and password are encrypted for security reasons.

New to the forum? Say hello in this topic! Also make sure to read the rules.

Kneeling/crouching after falling from object and attacking

All reported bugs that's actually by design.
Forum rules
By using the forum you agree to the following rules. For this forum you also need to follow these additional rules.
Splinter
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Grenade chef
Started SFD: 1.1.6
Kneeling/crouching after falling from object and attacking

Post by Splinter » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:08 am

As you melee pros know, you can drop from objects and small heights and attack midair without having to kneel/crouch. But sometimes you kneel anyway. I notice this more often in other people's servers, but as you can see in the video, it can happen in your own server too.

(please activate HD quality in the video - sorry about the zoomed out camera.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnbBKNOsink

PS: remember to use this bug as an excuse when you lose a melee fight, folks!
3 x
Hold your breath.

Vitamin E
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Completely Neutral
Started SFD: around 2012
Post by Vitamin E » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:54 pm

This doesn’t look like a bug to me. It’s just looks like you kicked too early on the second kick.
0 x

JakSparro98
Superfighter
Superfighter
Started SFD: PreAlpha 1.0.5

Post by JakSparro98 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:30 pm

Splinter wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:08 am
As you melee pros know, you can drop from objects and small heights and attack midair without having to kneel/crouch. But sometimes you kneel anyway. I notice this more often in other people's servers, but as you can see in the video, it can happen in your own server too.

(please activate HD quality in the video - sorry about the zoomed out camera.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnbBKNOsink

PS: remember to use this bug as an excuse when you lose a melee fight, folks!
As Vitamin E already said this works as intended because when you kick in mid air you will always fall kneeling, maybe this can be reworked by adding a minimum fall time so you will kneel only if you falled a bit more in terms of vertical space.
0 x

Noble
Title: Modest guy
SFD Alias: Best player
Post by Noble » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:24 pm

Vitamin E wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:54 pm
This doesn’t look like a bug to me. It’s just looks like you kicked too early on the second kick.
JakSparro98 wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:30 pm
As Vitamin E already said this works as intended because when you kick in mid air you will always fall kneeling, maybe this can be reworked by adding a minimum fall time so you will kneel only if you falled a bit more in terms of vertical space.
It's not supposed to be like this, it'll kneel if the height you fall was high, not depending on when you kicked. Or at least that's how I always thought: You'd not kneel depending on the speed you are falling. What he recorded was the 1 time it knelt, as it rarely happens, and if he did the same thing again after it wouldn't happen again. Kneeling like that strongly affects the balance of a match, like you fall kicking someone thinking you will be able to do a move in sequence but this rare occasion happens and prejudice you.
1 x
When I was 22 I read this book
And I swore
"I'll stay my way, I'll stay my way"

JakSparro98
Superfighter
Superfighter

Post by JakSparro98 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:35 pm

Noble wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:24 pm
It's not supposed to be like this, it'll kneel if the height you fall was high, not depending on when you kicked. Or at least that's how I always thought: You'd not kneel depending on the speed you are falling. What he recorded was the 1 time it knelt, as it rarely happens, and if he did the same thing again after it wouldn't happen again. Kneeling like that strongly affects the balance of a match, like you fall kicking someone thinking you will be able to do a move in sequence but this rare occasion happens and prejudice you.
I verified what you said, and yes, I was wrong, the kick won't always results in a kneeling but anyway it's needs less falling time rather than a normal falling time to perform a kneeling.

I checked the video that Splinter posted and I suppose this issue is related to a wrong reading of the time the game counts as in mid air, He's sprinting all the time and before He lands He presses the kick button, this didn't reset the mid air time for some reason and then when He's landing on ground again the current falling time is summed to the previous time, the mid air time is then enough to result in a kneeling.
0 x

Gurt
Lead Programmer
Lead Programmer
Title: Lead programmer
Started SFD: Made it!

Post by Gurt » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:49 pm

Pretty much the same problematic as described here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2276
Something we'll have to live with in SFD as SFD isn't deterministic due to randomness in both the box2D engine and other factors, like FPS and ping.
0 x
Gurt

JakSparro98
Superfighter
Superfighter

Post by JakSparro98 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:07 pm

Gurt wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:49 pm
[..] SFD isn't deterministic due to randomness in both the box2D engine and other factors, like FPS and ping.
This makes me conclude that the Box2d engine wasn't supposed to be used to make online games with physics-critical gameplay, we will suffer this less when the single player scene will be fed more with the release of the campaign.
0 x