Dear forum users! In compliance with the new European GDPR regulations, we'd just like to inform you that if you have an account, your email address is stored in our database. We do not share your information with third parties, and your email address and password are encrypted for security reasons.

New to the forum? Say hello in this topic! Also make sure to read the rules.

Character not relaying actions

All reported bugs that's actually by design.
Forum rules
By using the forum you agree to the following rules. For this forum you also need to follow these additional rules.
Supernigga
Meatbag
Title: Money Getter
SFD Account: Supernigga
SFD Alias: Negro Turtle
Started SFD: idek

Character not relaying actions

Post by Supernigga » Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:49 pm

Am I the only person who's character isn't relaying the actions 100% of the time? Sometimes my character refuses to kick, block, grab, or even roll. Is this a bug? My computer/keys being crappy? My connection tends to be pretty good, but it still occurs. What the heck is going on and how do I fix this?
0 x

Noble
Title: Modest guy
SFD Alias: Best player
Post by Noble » Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:33 pm

There are some occasions where you are at an weird position, like the edge of a table or something like that, and none of your actions will work like they're getting half eaten, and that's a bug. It won't happen a lot, it's rare enough to be never recorded by me till now. Sometimes your jump can undo in the middle, but I think Zyfex recorded and reported this before.

Otherwise, the problem can be your FPS and related to local/server performance, and you can fix by lowering the graphics and effects.

But yeah, it can be related to your keyboard huh, unless I'm letting something pass unnoticed.
0 x
When I was 22 I read this book
And I swore
"I'll stay my way, I'll stay my way"

Pricey
Superfighter
Superfighter
SFD Alias: (LM) Pricey
Started SFD: August 2015

Post by Pricey » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:05 pm

You're probably experiencing what's called keyboard ghosting. Essentially, when multiple keys are pressed at once, some keys refuse to work and the pressing of said key is not registered. Due to SFD being quite a fast-paced game, this often happens. My only advice would be to look on the market for a more high-end keyboard with a higher n-key rollover.
0 x

Noble
Title: Modest guy
SFD Alias: Best player
Post by Noble » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:02 am

If the case is what Pricey mentioned above, you don't really need to buy a new keyboard, you can essentially change the controls (which is what I did), since the keyboard ghosting is related to specific keys pressed together.
1 x
When I was 22 I read this book
And I swore
"I'll stay my way, I'll stay my way"

Rick Sanchez
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Alcoholic
SFD Account: Rick Sanchez
SFD Alias: Rick Sanchez
Started SFD: 1.5.0b

Post by Rick Sanchez » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:07 am

Pricey wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:05 pm
You're probably experiencing what's called keyboard ghosting. Essentially, when multiple keys are pressed at once, some keys refuse to work and the pressing of said key is not registered. Due to SFD being quite a fast-paced game, this often happens. My only advice would be to look on the market for a more high-end keyboard with a higher n-key rollover.
I dont have this and i have a mechanical keyboard.
0 x

Supernigga
Meatbag
Title: Money Getter
SFD Account: Supernigga
SFD Alias: Negro Turtle
Started SFD: idek

Post by Supernigga » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:08 am

What happens if I get a new keyboard and the problem remains? What could be the problem, then? I am tired of pressing block and still getting hit :( . And sometimes, on my screen, I am close enough to hit an enemy, but its like I missed or they were too far.
0 x

Gurt
Lead Programmer
Lead Programmer
Title: Lead programmer
Started SFD: Made it!

Post by Gurt » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:07 pm

The whole Client-Server network code is a complex topic in SFD. But to simplify it:
Most actions need to be transmitted to the server first before being activated.
Like punches, block does have a small activation time before you actually block on the server. If you press block a few frames before being punched you will most likely be punched anyway as you're not yet blocking on the server.

Your key input might also be ignored due to keyboard ghosting.

The XNA input registering is also special, if you have 60 fps, a frame is 16.67 ms and input can only be read during new frames. For SFD to be able to register a key-input you must press a key for at least 16.67 ms for it to be registered as "pressed" or it will never register as pressed at all. This is a limitation in the XNA framework. If you have worse FPS, like 30 fps, each frame is 33.33 ms. Tapping buttons too fast will just not work.
For the gamepad support in the release version we're using a standalone library and gamepads will not suffer from this problem as input is being queued. :)

Standing above objects, like tables and barrels, is generally a bad idea as you can't block or punch your opponents below you. All you can do is kick but that might be blocked or you might miss it depending on your opponents melee-range. You can't jump while stunned so you will just end up standing there being punched in the legs - your input isn't being half-eaten is just that the actions you're trying to do is forbidden in your current state.

Jumping near edges is a rare problem where the box2D engine will resolve the overlap in some strange way (wrongly) and reset your vertical velocity. This can happen while testing a map in the editor too. I don't know what's causing it as I only use the box2D engine, I didn't write it. But it has nothing to do with your input. As it's hard to fix and debug it's one of these last bugs we will try to solve (in the "polishing" phase of SFD). :/
2 x
Gurt