Dear forum users! In compliance with the new European GDPR regulations, we'd just like to inform you that if you have an account, your email address is stored in our database. We do not share your information with third parties, and your email address and password are encrypted for security reasons.

New to the forum? Say hello in this topic! Also make sure to read the rules.

Kicking on objects make you fly

Here you can find all verified bugs in SFD.
Forum rules
By using the forum you agree to the following rules. For this forum you also need to follow these additional rules.
Zyfex
SFD Q.A. Tester
SFD Q.A. Tester
Title: point collectin'
SFD Alias: Khnight
Started SFD: forever

Kicking on objects make you fly

Post by Zyfex » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:16 pm

If you stand near the edge of an object and kick while also trying to roll, your character will crouch (it's similar to the infinite crouch one).
[BONUS]: if you jump right after inputting the roll, your character will fly and perform another kick automatically.

https://youtu.be/am-Z0Cq4Y7I

Pre-Alpha 1.8.8

Note: Originally found by Zyfex
0 x
but in reality

Gurt
Lead Programmer
Lead Programmer
Title: Lead programmer
Started SFD: Made it!

Post by Gurt » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:18 pm

This is related to kicking on any object you stand above can make you fly away as the object's applied angular velocity will hit you from below and throw you away. This is also the case when someone else kicks both you and the object you stand on causing a "double-kick" effect. Funny stuff.
0 x
Gurt

TimeWorker
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: TiME TrAVleR
SFD Alias: ClockWorker
Started SFD: PreAlpha 1.2.1

Post by TimeWorker » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:59 am

dude this is not a bug this is the ability of flying in sfd i use it in running and doing some stuff i like this
0 x
DoNt FoRgEt WhAT TiME It IS!!!![/fade][/color][/shadow]

Lunatic
Title: I hope Klipeh bans himself
SFD Alias: (LM) Lunatic
Started SFD: 1.0.5 Pre-Alpha

Post by Lunatic » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:14 pm

A shame these odd little physics issues are more or less impossible to code out without a massive overhaul of the engine, eh? If they were made easier to use, though, I think they would lend a LOT to the metagame by having objects as launchers.
0 x
Originally posted by Gurt
SFD BADASS! 8-)

Zyfex
SFD Q.A. Tester
SFD Q.A. Tester
Title: point collectin'
SFD Alias: Khnight
Started SFD: forever

Post by Zyfex » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:40 pm

Lunatic wrote:A shame these odd little physics issues are more or less impossible to code out without a massive overhaul of the engine, eh? If they were made easier to use, though, I think they would lend a LOT to the metagame by having objects as launchers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBeVGMKSU8c

need i say more?
0 x
but in reality

Lunatic
Title: I hope Klipeh bans himself
SFD Alias: (LM) Lunatic
Started SFD: 1.0.5 Pre-Alpha

Post by Lunatic » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:23 pm

What I mean is, if this was optimized a bit, we could make it so that instead of having the WACKY polished death, we could instead use random objects as a means of propelling ourselves forward, to escape scary situations, make approaches, or chase down an enemy.
0 x
Originally posted by Gurt
SFD BADASS! 8-)

Gurt
Lead Programmer
Lead Programmer
Title: Lead programmer
Started SFD: Made it!

Post by Gurt » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:32 pm

Lunatic wrote:A shame these odd little physics issues are more or less impossible to code out without a massive overhaul of the engine, eh? If they were made easier to use, though, I think they would lend a LOT to the metagame by having objects as launchers.

Sounds like someone has programmed before and snapped up one or two things how SFD works. As we use the Box2D engine together with some own rules of ours for the players movement the combination isn't perfect when standing on objects accelerating fast as you can get flunged away like a catapult. We can do a few tweaks if you kick on some object you stand on. But we can't remove it completely if other players kick you and the object you stand on at the same time. This is nothing we prioritize as it works good enough.
0 x
Gurt