Dear forum users! In compliance with the new European GDPR regulations, we'd just like to inform you that if you have an account, your email address is stored in our database. We do not share your information with third parties, and your email address and password are encrypted for security reasons.

New to the forum? Say hello in this topic! Also make sure to read the rules.

Jump cancelling bug

Here you can find all verified bugs in SFD.
Forum rules
By using the forum you agree to the following rules. For this forum you also need to follow these additional rules.
Splinter
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Grenade chef
Started SFD: 1.1.6
Jump cancelling bug

Post by Splinter » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:02 am

https://youtu.be/q6GKsDMxpZw

Sometimes when you jump over objects, your jump is kinda "cancelled", it looks like we hit the side of the object and it cancels or something. In case you're wondering, no, this doesn't happen because of player-player collision. It happens when no one is around too, but this is the only video I have of this bug.
0 x
Hold your breath.

Noble
SFD Alias: |LPH| Nobel
Started SFD: I'm a newbie, teach me well ;3

Post by Noble » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:48 am

Not to mention that it happens in both host and client's screens, and I was having ping 1 (and you around 20) when we were trying to reproduce this bug that happens often (and can be a lot stubborn). I've been wondering if what causes this is exactly the box/crates we are jumping near (and we get back to the ground because of the box movement) or if it is related to the jump itself. Or if it is just related to the client side, like weapon range.
0 x
♫ I won't walk into the gates of hell just yet
Though it's where I belong ♪

Gurt
Lead Programmer
Lead Programmer
Title: Lead programmer
Started SFD: Made it!

Post by Gurt » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:53 am

This can be done in the map editor too. This is an old problem which I have no solution for because as far as I know it's the box2D engine resolving overlap between the player and the objects causing this problem.

The time I have spent investigating this in the past has led me to the box2D engine itself. Sometimes when it resolves the overlap all your velocity is reset so you kinda just fall down again. I have no idea why this happens SOMETIMES when you jump over obstacles, but not always. It seem to be easier to reproduce by jumping into the edge of a barrel while sprinting rather than any other object - but possible for any objects.

This bug is low prioritized as I belive it would take weeks to identifiy what's actually causing it and come up with a solution.
0 x
Gurt